ADVERTISEMENT

Rhode Island

Great win! Grant with 10 and Jacob with 6 were our fourth and fifth (with Burton) leading scorers today. And, we still won by eight at Rhode island. That is impressive. This starting five will do this all year. All of these guys can lead us in scoring one game, and then be 4th or 5th the next. It's nice to have so many scorers on this team.

Reactions: nathanw19
I think to win on the road against good teams you need 3 things.

1) Someone needs to step up and have a good game - not to say Francis, Sherod, and Golden did not play well - but Cayo stepped and had his best game. What I liked the best was the rebounds and the fact he got to the line 7 times and knocked down 5. With him attacking the basket - he should average 5-6 free throws a game.
2) Limit turnovers - on the road you can't give the home team easy baskets off turnovers. UR only committed 9 and Gilyard had 0. Easy baskets get the home team and crowd going, and UR was able to limit that.
3) Little bit of Luck - we got lucky with Fatts going 1-12 with only 3 points. Some of that was our defense, but some of that was him missing shots as well. I think even if he plays his normal game - we win, just much closer game. But in every away game - you need a little bit of luck - maybe a player goes cold like Fatts, or foul trouble, or maybe some questionable calls go your way - but you always need that little bit of luck to help along.

Big win for the Spiders. I like to look at the conference schedule in 4 game segments. St. Louis at home will be a good game, but we tend to play better at home so I like UR chances there. Davidson is struggling big time, but playing on the road - this will be a tough game. But a game UR should win. Just need to get out to a lead early with Davidson and keep them down from there. Can't give a struggling team hope on their home court. Good chance to start 4-0 before entering our next 4 games which be very tough with Mason, VCU, and Dayton. (and LaSalle)

[
I think to win on the road against good teams you need 3 things.

1) Someone needs to step up and have a good game - not to say Francis, Sherod, and Golden did not play well - but Cayo stepped and had his best game. What I liked the best was the rebounds and the fact he got to the line 7 times and knocked down 5. With him attacking the basket - he should average 5-6 free throws a game.
2) Limit turnovers - on the road you can't give the home team easy baskets off turnovers. UR only committed 9 and Gilyard had 0. Easy baskets get the home team and crowd going, and UR was able to limit that.
3) Little bit of Luck - we got lucky with Fatts going 1-12 with only 3 points. Some of that was our defense, but some of that was him missing shots as well. I think even if he plays his normal game - we win, just much closer game. But in every away game - you need a little bit of luck - maybe a player goes cold like Fatts, or foul trouble, or maybe some questionable calls go your way - but you always need that little bit of luck to help along.

Big win for the Spiders. I like to look at the conference schedule in 4 game segments. St. Louis at home will be a good game, but we tend to play better at home so I like UR chances there. Davidson is struggling big time, but playing on the road - this will be a tough game. But a game UR should win. Just need to get out to a lead early with Davidson and keep them down from there. Can't give a struggling team hope on their home court. Good chance to start 4-0 before entering our next 4 games which be very tough with Mason, VCU, and Dayton. (and LaSalle)

you can call it luck, I will stick w/ good defense.

I think our early high scoring start led us astray, the best thing about the RI game was working the ball, picking our shots.... and Cayo.

[

you can call it luck, I will stick w/ good defense.
I don't disagree it was good defense - I think it was very good defense. But even good players, and I think Fatts is a good player - find a way to score. And even if he made 2-3 more baskets, we could say our defense shut him down and he still ends up with 8-10 points.

My point is that in any big road win, against good teams - you need a little luck on your side. Could be a questionable foul call that goes your way at a crucial time, maybe a key player for them gets in foul trouble and limits minutes, or maybe a player like Fatts has a cold night - partly because of our defense, etc. Our defense on him was good - but if your asking me if I think Fatts will go 1-12 or the majority of games the rest of the season because teams will just replicate how we played him - I will say no way. He will likely be a 2nd team all league player, maybe even first team if he has a few explosive nights of 30 point games which he is capable of.

I thought our defense was really good yesterday. Francis shut down Fatts and we were able to challenge and bother a lot of shots without fouling. I have been a little critical of Francis playing out of control at times, but I thought he played a heck of an all around game yesterday - when Fatts finally did make a shot Francis came back with a three ball in his eye about 5 seconds later. He definitely displayed that Gonzo gusto.
I will say Toppin is quite impressive all around player.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Mooney gets an NCAA bid it's like card blanche for him. After too many years of sub-par Mooney how I can trust better Mooney will continue once the BEST class ever group exits. Right now I see Gust, Burton, Woj, Sal, Connor, Grace, and Wilson in tow. And the good recruiting to follow I'll wait and see first.
"card blanche"

If CM manages the team to the NCAA, which is still a big if, then he’s likely earning an extension. I doubt he’ll get five years, I think he’ll get additional 2(?) to keep him at four overall, enough to not be at whatever recruiting deficit that seems to be (btw he’s recruited several better than normal guys without the long term guarantee, so go figure).

I’m not sure you can call Jenkins for Lewis a coaching swap, Jenkins was already here. If you’re arguing that Lewis for Thomas was an upgrade I think it’d be hard to defend that at this early juncture. But recruiting has improved, although it seems to have picked up when brunt left, not when Lewis left.

practice facility will be an advantage to any coach here, that one’s a wash.

Glad to hear the bit on Hardt going to bat, that was not Keith’s modus operandi.
Was not necessarily calling Jenkins a coaching swap, though clearly his recruiting responsibilities have increased over the years. That trend will continue with Lewis' departure.

Agree that practice facility is a wash, though it will be a factor for CM in the recruiting process. It's a new factor that I was referencing in regards to what's changed from the past.

Keith is a great guy, though not sure he had the desire to fight those fights on admissions, or maybe it was also an experience thing (lack there of). When I had the opportunity to ask him about the Bernard situation JH's comment was - "That's not going to happen again." That's good news for all Spider fans, regardless of the coach.

when I had the opportunity to ask him about the Bernard situation JH's comment was - "That's not going to happen again." That's good news for all Spider fans, regardless of the coach.
The situation with Bernard was about as edge case as it gets. Keith didn’t know how to handle it and I doubt hardt will ever run into the same situation. But he seems more willing to engage than KG was.

Was not necessarily calling Jenkins a coaching swap, though clearly his recruiting responsibilities have increased over the years. That trend will continue with Lewis' departure.

Agree that practice facility is a wash, though it will be a factor for CM in the recruiting process. It's a new factor that I was referencing in regards to what's changed from the past.

Keith is a great guy, though not sure he had the desire to fight those fights on admissions, or maybe it was also an experience thing (lack there of). When I had the opportunity to ask him about the Bernard situation JH's comment was - "That's not going to happen again." That's good news for all Spider fans, regardless of the coach.
Or it could mean, that we are not even going to go after guys who can't fly through admissions anymore. I haven't see JH challenge the status quo one iota since he is been here, so this could be just him rolling over and accepting reality.

No you and I did not have the same father......................
LOL, no, my dad isn't Booger, either. Sorry, wasn't meant to be a dad joke - the Booger memes were flying this weekend and your quote fit right in. No offense intended.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT