ADVERTISEMENT

@ Rhode Island 1/25

Gilyards layup should be on Top 10 plays for it was the dagger in my book. How did we out rebound RIU
so bad in second half. Also Gus was a thorn in their side.
Things go better with Goose on the floor. I think he has made a noticeable difference since moving to the starting lineup. Very good very smart defensive player.

I was pleased we didn't start flat. Unfortunately that was temporary (maybe we got the second half drought over with in the first half?).

I was more pleased about the way we played in the second half, even though our three point shooting largely abandoned us. Great win.

Reactions: Zeeter
The Rhode Island collapse was EPIC, rivaled anything we have seen at Richmond. The entire second half they played "not to lose." You could literally see the noose tightening as the half played out. By the last 5-minutes their hands, hearts, and minds were exceptionally shaky. Rhody (Ocean State) looked like a very bad rec team.

This win didn't have much to do with Richmond being good.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Maybe our 2nd half scoring droughts are just as contagious as Omicron? Rhode Island was up 62-55 with 6 minutes left. They finish the game with 63 points. Maybe next team that plays us should wear masks in the 2nd half.

I love the fact he will attack the rim no matter who is in lane. Yea he got blocked but like
his aggressivenes.
It's amazing that this ability of his has stood out clearly the entire time he's been here – because we have no one else who does it. And then he gets the ball and just immediately dribbles to the hoop like it's no big deal. Why can no one else do this? I'm glad he does it, at least. I guess it violates the Mooney Code of passing the ball around 12 times to set up one of the three plays we have.

Goose had the benefit of not having to listen to the CBS Sports announcers, one in particular, and not hearing over and over how great the Mitchell twins are at blocking shots so no need to challenge them. Goose has the perseverance to not give up or shy away from contact.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpiderK
I saw several positive things in the second half, that need to be continued if this team wants to do anything special with this season.

1. We pressed most of the second half. Burton (and Goose, I believe) were the two primary trappers with Gilly hanging around to try and nab steals. This press was extremely effective because of the length, athleticism of Burton, Goose and obviously letting Gilly freelance like that is going to make other teams nervous. It should also be noted that we got burnt several times on the fast break in the first half but even with pressing in the second half, Rhode Island had less fast break opportunities. It changed momentum and got Rhody out of any sense of offensive flow. We have the depth to do this more and really their is no reason we shouldn't. Our half court defense absolutely blows, so to me because of that, using a pressing defense is perhaps our only and best option to dictate anything when we are on defense.

2. We crashed the offensive glass. Burton and Grace were both extremely active on the offensive glass. Again, a necessity because once again we couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with our 3 point shooting. Also of note, as with the press, we didn't get killed on the fast break which is Mooney's entire philosophy with not being active on the glass.

3. Grace and Grant together. This is not new but I think it was probably the most extensive use of both of our big guys. It gives us a different look, playing the two bigs, something that the other team has to adjust too.

This is Mooney we are talking about and so I suspect we go back to business as usual next game and the lessons learned from the second half get lost in his dogmatic approach to what he knows. But perhaps, one of our new assistant coaches (Hovde and Joseph), I'm talking to you, hammer home with him at every opportunity that perhaps we should continue what was so successful against Rhode Island.

What I saw with the press and crashing the glass was a team playing aggressive, hungry, and with desire. That is how this team needs to play every single game. Talent is there but the "flow" approach of Mooneyball robs the aggression necessary to fully optimize their talents.

Good win for this team, perhaps our best win of the season.

14 freaking offensive rebounds. +9 overall on the boards against a big, athletic team. Is this really my Spiders?
Amazing what happens when a team rebounds. Also we need to continue to press. CM doesn't adapt, but even he has to see that this team is better when we are aggressive. We don't shoot or defend well enough in the half court to play classic Mooneyball.

The Rhode Island collapse was EPIC, rivaled anything we have seen at Richmond. The entire second half they played "not to lose." You could literally see the noose tightening as the half played out. By the last 5-minutes their hands, hearts, and minds were exceptionally shaky. They choked, and looked like a very bad rec team.

Shot selection is an issue for this team. If it isn't working, stop hoisting up worthless 3's hoping something goes in. The Spiders went 7-29 from 3. Burton missed 3, Gilyard missed 7, and Sherod missed 5. Interesting, our bigs shot much better from 3, with Grace hitting 2-6 and Golden 2-4. If it is not there, don't keep throwing it up there hoping for a score, especially when noone is rebounding underneath.

The Rhode Island collapse was EPIC, rivaled anything we have seen at Richmond. The entire second half they played "not to lose." You could literally see the noose tightening as the half played out. By the last 5-minutes their hands, hearts, and minds were exceptionally shaky. Rhody (Ocean State) looked like a very bad rec team.

On point.

I believe RI blew a 15 point lead last week vs a weak GW team. Game also played at RI.

Based upon us blowing leads several times this year & also not being able to close out games, this was a strong finish for us. I said before but will repeat - we need to be putting together two good halves. There have been too many games this year where we were a one half team.

I'll also say this & not to diminish our win, but RI certainly doesn't look like any really good team. They are not the team as good as many of our early OOC competition.

Amazing what happens when a team rebounds. Also we need to continue to press. CM doesn't adapt, but even he has to see that this team is better when we are aggressive. We don't shoot or defend well enough in the half court to play classic Mooneyball.
Yes, completely different team in the second half, when we went hard on the offensive glass. Burton has been in a shooting slump, but he went crazy on the offensive glass, earned himself some FT's and perhaps that gets him out of his funk.

On point.

I believe RI blew a 15 point lead last week vs a weak GW team. Game also played at RI.

Based upon us blowing leads several times this year & also not being able to close out games, this was a strong finish for us. I said before but will repeat - we need to be putting together two good halves. There have been too many games this year where we were a one half team.

I'll also say this & not to diminish our win, but RI certainly doesn't look like any really good team. They are not the team as good as many of our early OOC competition.
Rhode Island was also missing there starting PG, who averages like 12 ppg. I guess I see his a bit glass half full though, you could say they blew it, but a team has to be in position to take advantage of another team self destructing and we rose to the occasion.

If this doesn't open Mooney's eye up to a change in style in how we play, nothing will.

I've also noticed the last c
Cayo took 2 fouls shots, and Gilyard took 9. That helps.
I've also noticed the last couple games that several times Cayo was at the goal, in position to score, not guarded so tightly, but instead made an extra pass to someone outside. Need to take those shots at the goal when they are there.

Rhode Island was also missing there starting PG, who averages like 12 ppg. I guess I see his a bit glass half full though, you could say they blew it, but a team has to be in position to take advantage of another team self destructing and we rose to the occasion.

If this doesn't open Mooney's eye up to a change in style in how we play, nothing will.
He stated this in his post game interview.

I think the Golden/Grace combo was in response to the two bigs from URI.
but when Grace is active like that, it deserves more looks.

to me the key was our defensive rebounding, lead of course by Burton but Grant was scrapping too. URI rebonds well and we kept them off the glass.

Important to note that we rarely win a game like that one where we shoot so badly from deep. So there fact that we did win should really show Mooney the value of pressing and offensive rebounding.

Agree that Grace is really turning into a very nice 20+ minute player. He does that fake three, drive to the hoop move very smoothly and looks almost like a guard sometimes when he does it. I like having him in there with Golden because they can both do a bunch of things that make them harder to defend and that spread the defense out.

Last edited:
Gaitley's attitude has impressed me his entire career at Richmond - should not have forgotten him in the "G" category. Good catch SF!
Gaitley is a good kid and is having plenty of fun at UR. Hope he gets to play a little more when we are ahead by 15 or 20.

Reactions: spider fan
Rhody scored 24 in the second half after scoring 39 in the first while we scored 44 in the second half after 26 points in the first half. None of this happened in a vacuum. Our team deserves a lot of credit for staying after it and catching fire in the second half. It was a game that it was easy as a fan to get discouraged and then be totally pumped as we not only took the lead but played tenacious defense to keep Rhody befuddled and looking awful. Some similarities to Rhody's collapse against GW in their previous game but that doesn't take anything away from a good victory for us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT