ADVERTISEMENT

Protests

Eight Legger

Spider's Club
May 27, 2003
Can anyone explain the purpose of nightly protests in Richmond? I am uncertain what the endgame is here. It seems to me that a legitimate movement has been hijacked by a bunch of white VCU kids, for lack of a better way of putting it.

We’ve seen a lot of terrible incidents involving some terrible police officers, here and elsewhere. Those are awful.

But now it feels like a group of people is showing up every night looking for a fight with the police. Then when they get the fight — usually by disobeying orders or outright breaking the law — they blame the police again. I’m confused about what the point of this is. To me, as someone who very much believes this should be our moment of reckoning as far as equality and racial justice go, these unrelated protests are setting things back night by night. It’s very frustrating to watch.

Eight I concur with your frustration. I believe anytime a protest becomes violent the message gets lost, the violence becomes the issue. I believe if you spoke to the "leaders" they would say they will protest daily until they see meaningful change in police liability/responsibility and racial acceptance.

I partially agree with urfan. The protests continue because violence against Black people at the hands of the police in this city and country has consistently resulted in no justice for those harmed or killed. In an overwhelming majority of cases where a Black person is killed by police in the US, those officers aren't even indicted, let alone tried and convicted. It doesn't matter how many witnesses there might have been, whether or not the murder was caught on video, or whether the officer has a history of using excessive force. Instead, the scrutiny always turns to whoever was murdered, what their criminal background might have been, or why they might have chosen to be wherever they were or do whatever they were doing (as if those things may justify their deaths somehow). The protests continue because while all sorts of very nice window dressings are changing (like major corporations writing letters and suddenly featuring people of color on social media), there is very little movement taking place to secure justice for people like Breonna Taylor, who was wrongfully killed in her own home in the dead of night by four police officers, only one of which has even lost his job over 100 days past his death.

As for the violence taking place at these protests, this is where urfan and I disagree. The vast majority of the violence taking place at these protests is orchestrated and initiated by the police officers present. I'm sure that there are plenty of incidences of this violence taking place after protesters don't follow orders like disperse, even if they have every right to be wherever they are. However, way too many incidences of the violence that you're saying nullifies the message of the protests happen when police decide to assault people just for participating or, in some cases, just being nearby. To sum up, the protesters are also protesting the police response to the protests themselves.

Final point of emphasis I want to make here: there are definitely some folks present at these protests who do not align with the mission of the majority of the protesters; if you watch closely, you'll see that the protesters have been policing themselves and generally do not stand for people hoping to ignite tensions. That said, those folks are not leading these protests. The folks leading these protests are leaders of the highest order, willing to put their safety on the line so that people like me can live without fear of being killed because I "looked suspicious" to someone.

Eight Legger and urfan, I appreciate your concern about the message being lost or co-opted. I encourage you to consider at the same time whether you think the responsibility of keeping these protests from becoming violent is that of the protesters or of the public servants who have sworn to protect those protesting.

Agree 100% about how it's egregious beyond description how at times we have seen Blacks killed by police with no repercussion for the officers involved, and obviously those are just the cases that happen to be on video. I think this type of national reckoning is long overdue as it relates to race, and I hope it actually changes something this time. My observation so far is that it has caused many people who are not Black to fully understand in a more complete way many of the things that Blacks have to deal with every single day. Every day. That's heavy and real and something that frankly a lot of us should have understood a long time ago. So I'm hopeful it leads to real change.

In a general sense, I understand why protests would happen. But I guess in Richmond (and probably many other cities at this point), it feels as if the narrative has changed to "All police officers are horrible, we hate them all and we are unwilling to listen to any discussion that doesn't 100% align with that." I don't think this narrative is coming from the Black community, I think it's coming from the uber-far-left white community. Maybe I'm wrong. But I don't see any value in THAT message, regardless of who is conveying it.

There's a lot that needs to change in our country and with policing. But the police in Richmond didn't kill George Floyd. Blaming them in a general sense for the crimes of others is illogical. Are there specific things Richmond Police have done that warrant protest? Sure. But it doesn't feel like that's what they're being criticized for.

The Marcus Davis Peters case has been elevated to a Floyd-level by some, which I think is completely unfair. It's awful that he died, but he was running naked into traffic on a major interstate completely out of his mind and threatening police officers. I think the officer who shot him was Black, too, right? I just don't find that one to be the example I'd put forth to show how awful the police are.

I do understand the frustration about police using tear gas and excessive force not just in Richmond but elsewhere in breaking up crowds. But at the same time, a law is a law. If it's declared an unlawful gathering at a certain point in time, you either obey the law and leave or subject yourself to the possibility that you might be removed forcefully. I feel like too many people are choosing to break the law and then not willing to deal with the consequences of their actions. If they believe strongly that the laws are wrong, that's perfectly fine – but they may also have to be willing to accept some of what comes with it, for better or worse. Again, that doesn't justify at all some of the police actions we have seen here and elsewhere, which I agree are completely unnecessary and egregious – pushing people down as they run away, spraying them in their faces as they are leaving, etc.

There's also a lot of paranoia among the protesters. 'Police are scanning the crowd from attack helicopters. Anyone who is filming or taking pictures at a protest could get someone murdered by police.' Etc. etc. I don't think this stuff is helpful nor grounded in fact 99% of the time.

I'd also say that some protesters don't have a good grasp on how government works. You can't enact major change in a few weeks. I know that's frustrating. They want to tear every statue down. I get it. I agree with removing the statues and think it's long overdue. But you have to allow some time for government to work. Hold elected officials accountable, absolutely. But don't attack them if they haven't implemented every change in four weeks time.

Today should be interesting.
Had drinks with a City Council Member last week. While the political will is there to remove the statues, the money isn't. In an ironic vicious circle, the protestors are making that situation worse. I realize it's anecdotal, but I've had two clients completely shut down their businesses in the city (one was looted), another is moving to the county and another out of state. These were all profitable ventures who gave back and were vested in the future of the city. They believed in this cause. They managed to survive the government's response to COVID-19. They paid taxes and licenses to a government that has left them out to dry. Also, reportedly, the damage to private property along Monument Avenue continues. (I believe one of our posters lives on Monument, perhaps he can confirm). Now the Governor has extended the state of emergency, at Mayor Stoney's request.

Statues coming down starting today. Hopefully this calms the ones who hijacked the narrative.

Yeah, Stoney rammed it through without even waiting for a vote (which would have been unanimous). Emergency powers.
My office is about 3 blocks from Stonewall Jackson and it is storming pretty good here. Don't envy the dudes working on a bronze statue and a crane.

Yeah, Stoney rammed it through without even waiting for a vote (which would have been unanimous). Emergency powers.
My office is about 3 blocks from Stonewall Jackson and it is storming pretty good here. Don't envy the dudes working on a bronze statue and a crane.
Yeah that was crazy timing. On a positive note, we now know where the Mooney statue will go.

Today should be interesting.
Had drinks with a City Council Member last week. While the political will is there to remove the statues, the money isn't. In an ironic vicious circle, the protestors are making that situation worse. I realize it's anecdotal, but I've had two clients completely shut down their businesses in the city (one was looted), another is moving to the county and another out of state. These were all profitable ventures who gave back and were vested in the future of the city. They believed in this cause. They managed to survive the government's response to COVID-19. They paid taxes and licenses to a government that has left them out to dry. Also, reportedly, the damage to private property along Monument Avenue continues. (I believe one of our posters lives on Monument, perhaps he can confirm). Now the Governor has extended the state of emergency, at Mayor Stoney's request.
Stoney has egregiously mismanaged the protests from the git go. Never got in front of the situation and allowed it to get out of control. His dreams of higher elective office are toast.

The sad thing is that of course that few if any of those White Kids are actually going to live in the city whose cultural landmarks they are helping to destroy. It will be the blacks that are forced to live in the ruined shell of Richmond. The VCU students got to LARP as American Taliban for a few weeks, erased the cultural heritage of a depressed and destitute city whose cultural heritage was the only real thing it had going for it, and when they graduate they'll move to DC or Portland and leave the blacks to continue to wallow in the filth.

Reactions: MolivaManiac
I support bringing down the statues; that's clearly overdue. We can debate the "cultural heritage" another time, but IMO, those things didn't need to be staring down minorities for 100+ years all over Richmond.

That said, I don't support them being ripped down indiscriminately by a mob of people night after night. Yesterday's process was much more agreeable. And I do agree in a general sense that a lot of these protesters are going to be making things worse for the Black community, which they purport to be supporting.

White mother brutally murdered in racist BLM attack. This is what our media and the globalist corporate elites are endorsing. Absolutely sickening:

BLM now mocking and tormenting the family of the White Woman they murdered just recently. But yeah, that pales in comparison to some redneck ordering a burger without a mask:

Meanwhile fresh off their murder of a 16 year old boy, Antifa's "Summer of Love" continues in Portland as they assault an old man and steal his bike:

God Help Us All if these people win the Presidency this November:

Lol. Using Gateway Pundit? That is right up there with dumb ass retweeting Chuck Woolery.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-gateway-pundit/

Yes, it is perfectly acceptable for BLM to laugh and taunt the family of woman they murdered in cold blood because......you don't like one of the news sources that reported the story. This is what we are up against this Fall. Trump may not be perfect, but if he loses, the forces of pure, unadulterated evil will be in charge of the Federal Government. What is happening now in only select liberal cities will be happening nationwide and have the full support of the Feds:

Where is Antifa headquartered?Do they have a Board of Directors?

What is an antifa?A vegetable,I think.

25 words or less,please.

Shafer, you are like Kayleigh. Look hard enough and find a story that suits your narrative, while ignoring or denying the hundreds and thousands that don't. I almost feel sorry for those that are brainwashed so badly.

Now I get it. The police are responsible for everything that's wrong with this nation.

Where is Antifa headquartered?Do they have a Board of Directors?

What is an antifa?A vegetable,I think.

25 words or less,please.

Until recently, Portland's branch of Antifa (Rose City Antifa), which is one of the oldest and biggest branches in the country, held their meetings at a bar called Cider Riot. There was some kind of factional dispute between the leaders and one of them got whacked immediately after a meeting. Antifa then issued a public statement saying the murder was an "internal matter" and warned against cooperating with police in any way. Their audacity is remarkable (the mafia isn't even that brazen) but such is the reality in Portland where Antifa has control of the entire political system. The murder is still unsolved. Cider Riot shut down. Don't know where their meetings are being held currently but you can find them on the streets of Portland committing acts of terror 24/7 right now or you can peruse their official website here: https://rosecityantifa.org/

Another lovely example of the future Biden and BLM have in store for us all:

Great and important video from the LAPD made up entirely of officer bodycam footage showing what exactly our officers are up against on a daily basis dealing with these animals and how the Lying Media brazenly distorts the truth:

no reasonable person fails to recognize things have gotten out of hand in certain situations, so I'm not sure what your point is -- people act like idiots.

Reactions: Eight Legger
no reasonable person fails to recognize things have gotten out of hand in certain situations, so I'm not sure what your point is -- people act like idiots.
Therefore, there are idiots on both sides of the ledger. A sad time for all.

Reactions: urfan1

It is the position of BLM and Antifa that things haven't gotten "out of hand" at all. To the contrary, by their reckoning, the orgy of violence and destruction we have witnessed the past 50 is just the beginning.

4837c3d9351918a799ee5a470afa2340ae-akaren-47.rsquare.w1200.jpg

So let's get this straight. These two get felony weapons charges against them for rightfully protecting themselves while the people who clearly trespassed on private property have no charges brought against them?

I mean these liberal, left, Dems (prosecutor in this case) with their bias actions aren't even camouflaging them. So disturbingly blatant. Plenty of people keeping silent who will do the right thing in November. ACTIONS over TALK!

4837c3d9351918a799ee5a470afa2340ae-akaren-47.rsquare.w1200.jpg

So let's get this straight. These two get felony weapons charges against them for rightfully protecting themselves while the people who clearly trespassed on private property have no charges brought against them?

I mean these liberal, left, Dems (prosecutor in this case) with their bias actions aren't even camouflaging them. So disturbingly blatant. Plenty of people keeping silent who will do the right thing in November. ACTIONS over TALK!
Oh how badly I want to get into some form of political office. I wouldn’t stand for something like this. Vote for me for Va house of delegates one of the next few cycles. I am actually going to run.

Oh how badly I want to get into some form of political office. I wouldn’t stand for something like this. Vote for me for Va house of delegates one of the next few cycles. I am actually going to run.
I thought you were going to be our next football coach/AD combo.

I thought you were going to be our next football coach/AD combo.
I once wanted to do that but I would never want to be involved with UR athletics until I know that they would actually take athletics seriously. I would take almost any CAA job over at UR at this point with the exception of Rhode Island.

Mayor of Portland learning the same lesson as the Mayor of Minneapolis: no matter how much you grovel, kowtow, and cater to these animals, it will never be enough. Goes to meet protesters and has trash dumped on him. He meekly attempts to walk the other way but protesters encircle and begin screaming obscenities at him. Preview of what a Biden Presidency would look like:

Preview of what a Biden presidency would look like? Dude, we are living in a Trump presidency and we are seeing exactly what that looks like. We don't have to speculate like you just did. We know. It is happening everyday. We see it. We live it. It sucks. Funny how Trump mentioned all this violence that is happening so much more now than in the past. Well, duh, dumb ass? Who is the dumb ass president while all this violence happens? The same one that welcomes violence and asks for it at his rallies.

Preview of what a Biden presidency would look like? Dude, we are living in a Trump presidency and we are seeing exactly what that looks like. We don't have to speculate like you just did. We know. It is happening everyday. We see it. We live it. It sucks. Funny how Trump mentioned all this violence that is happening so much more now than in the past. Well, duh, dumb ass? Who is the dumb ass president while all this violence happens? The same one that welcomes violence and asks for it at his rallies.

Trump is not the Mayor of Portland. These are not his supporters. Trump has limited his protection in Portland to FEDERAL buildings and that is the only reason the courthouse hasn't burned to the ground yet. Mayor Wheeler and the Gov. of Oregon are responsible for everything else. Trump has offered them the full resources of the National Guard from Day 1. They refuse to active the troops he has provided. Eventually, yes, Trump is probably going to have to invoke the Insurrection Act and essentially put the entire city under Federal Control but unfortunately he has to let things play out a bit in order to provide a paper trail of legal justification otherwise the Left Wing Courts will overrule his decision. .

But if Biden were President, the courthouse would have already been burned to the ground, there would be no National Guard troops available, and the Insurrection Act wouldn't even be on the table. The crazies would be in charge of the entire system:

I really do feel sorry for those that are so brainwashed. So sad. So very sad.

Listened to an NPR show this morning that made my jaw drop. Discussed U.S Marshalls arresting folks in Portland. Had a Yale professor as a guest. Long discussion about how in "authoritarian" governments the "secret police" grow over time and that's what we are witnessing. Opined that the government needs to protect people and not things - like buildings. It went on and on and the longer it went, the more bizarre it became with the host dutifully agreeing with a raft of BS.

Hey, Dr., it really is pretty simple. The crazies in Portland have been trying to damage and hopefully destroy the Hatfield United States Courthouse for over a month. This government, regardless of who is President, has a right, actually a duty, to protect federal property paid for by the taxpayers. How frigging difficult of a concept is this to grasp?

Black Man brutally assaults two White Women with a saw. When police come to arrest him "peaceful protesters" intervene and scream obscenities at the officers. Make no mistake, these people want you dead:

The women were white, therefore they were wrong for washing their clothes.

or maybe the guy was unstable/crazy and out of control, they just happened to be his easy target

or maybe the guy was unstable/crazy and out of control, they just happened to be his easy target

I can't believe that you mean that. and if he was crazy, he was most likely influences by what was happening in the street.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT