ADVERTISEMENT

Paul Queally

Status
Not open for further replies.

UR80sfan

Star
Jan 28, 2018
Paul’s name was recently vandalized on a sign of a building he donated to the school, which I do not believe had anything to do with this board. However, he is also often degraded and attacked on this board, which is inappropriate and a demonstration complete selfishness and a disregard for the best interest of the university. Disagreeing with his views are fine, but posts with personal attached should be deleted by the moderators.

Paul might be the 2nd largest donor in the school history. He also volunteers his time to be head of the board of trustee, which is almost a full time job. In addition, he might be the best board member the school has ever had as far as enhancing the quality of the school. Finally, he is a huge backer of Richmond Athletics and especially the basketball program.

Agree with you wholeheartedly here, but now that you’ve defended Queally be prepared. The mob will come for you and attack you personally now as well.

Reactions: Gallipoli
PQ is a big boy. I think he can defend himself. But just because he’s donated a lot of money doesn’t mean he’s free from criticism. Just like Bob Ukrop deserved criticism at times. And I get it, these rich guys may be your heroes but that doesn’t mean they don’t make mistakes.

Reactions: spider23
Agree with you wholeheartedly here, but now that you’ve defended Queally be prepared. The mob will come for you and attack you personally now as well.
You sure have a low opinion of your fellow fans.
Queally's name was one of many that were vandalized on campus. It has nothing to do with Basketball.

Paul’s name was recently vandalized on a sign of a building he donated to the school, which I do not believe had anything to do with this board. However, he is also often degraded and attacked on this board, which is inappropriate and a demonstration complete selfishness and a disregard for the best interest of the university. Disagreeing with his views are fine, but posts with personal attached should be deleted by the moderators.

Paul might be the 2nd largest donor in the school history. He also volunteers his time to be head of the board of trustee, which is almost a full time job. In addition, he might be the best board member the school has ever had as far as enhancing the quality of the school. Finally, he is a huge backer of Richmond Athletics and especially the basketball program.
Thanks, Paul.

I agree that personal attacks should never be allowed; whether they’re about Mooney, Quelly, Hardt, fellow posters, etc.

However, disagreeing with policy and direction should be fair game. Inquiring over/questioning motives/mindsets tightropes the line of a personal attack, though I would argue it can be done in a way that isn’t a personal attack.

Q: You know a really great way to get the students to develop pride in their school and get them stop wanting to tear the place down?

A: Stop locking the students down in their rooms and, perhaps, have some successful sports teams that unify the students.

"Idle hands are the Devil's workshop."

University leadership has made the bed that they're now laying in.

Not quite sure how "locking students down in their rooms" - which isn't happening - impacts the (apparently) racist past of some prominent 20th-century Richmond College officials, which seems to be the focal point of our campus's "unrest."

I don't necessarily agree with them; I certainly do not condone vandalism, and will ignore their request to cease donating to the university I love. But one could easily see that students who have great pride in their university would rather it not have university buildings named after slaveholders and racists.

Not quite sure how "locking students down in their rooms" - which isn't happening - impacts the (apparently) racist past of some prominent 20th-century Richmond College officials.

I don't necessarily agree with them; I certainly do not condone vandalism, and will continue to donate to the university I love. But one could easily see that students who have great pride in their university would rather it not have university buildings named after slaveholders and racists.

Wood - we have a lot of posters on here who miss the racist past of our school and its history. They pine for it. They yearn for it. They make it abundantly clear and it is absolutely disgusting.

Wood - we have a lot of posters on here who miss the racist past of our school and its history. They pine for it. They yearn for it. They make it abundantly clear and it is absolutely disgusting.

Expand on this. Tell us, exactly, what should happen and why it should. In your mind, how would the University better confront it's racist history?

While you're at it, tell us how spray painting University property ails these ills.

Reactions: Spiderstew1962
Let me get this straight - in the same thread, you have lamented "personal attacks" and then called "a lot of" your fellow Spider fans racists?

Reactions: urfan1
Tell me about the wide range of activities available on campus this year.
I don't know. I'm not there. But didn't we have "in-person" classes? At least that's the impression I got from the various electronic material I've received from the university. I see lots of photos on the UR Facebook page of students out enjoying the sunshine, etc. If so, they were not being locked down.

Reactions: plydogg
I don't know. I'm not there. But didn't we have "in-person" classes? At least that's the impression I got from the various electronic material I've received from the university. I see lots of photos on the UR Facebook page of students out enjoying the sunshine, etc. If so, they were not being locked down.

Great. Think back to when you, presumably, went to UR. The school offered 'in person learning' back then too. I'm sure you thought that was pretty cool. Did you do anything else or were you just 'over the moon' with in-person learning?

Colleges and Universities - UR included - should be embarrassed by all they have 'offered' at the cost structure that they have maintained.

Hey look at the past of all universities and how long it took for integration all over the country. We cannot
deny the heritage of the South and especially the city of Richmond. But it is like Paul Harvey’s quote : “ and now for the
rest of the story”. Example: Gen Stonewall Jackson was a Confederate officer, Virginian and a slave holder and due to
these facts, he is a negative figure in the eyes of many. “But now for the rest of the story”. Did you know his likeness is on
a stained glass window in an AME Church in Lynchburg. Why in an African American church would this be allowed?

Because he educated and taught his slaves the Bible and even invited slaves outside of his plantation. If caught he could have faced severe punishment and even death. The descendants of these slaves honored Jackson for his kindness and faithfulness with the stained glass window. Point there are many sides to our historic past. It is way too easy to condemn just because of your last name or where you grew up.

Well, 2020-21 is a year with a nationwide pandemic that has killed more than 500,000 Americans. It's slightly different than 1975-76, my senior year (yes, I did attend UR).

Compared to many, many universities in the country that are all online (my local state P5 university is at 95% online classes; my son's law school is at 75% online classes), UR seems to have done about as well, if not better, than could be expected.

Ply, when are you going to respond to my questions? I see you *liking* a bunch of other posts.

Simple solution. Don’t name things after people.

It would be interesting to think about how alums would donate and how the amounts may be different if naming buildings wasn’t a “perk”

Well, 2020-21 is a year with a nationwide pandemic that has killed more than 500,000 Americans. It's slightly different than 1975-76, my senior year (yes, I did attend UR).

Compared to many, many universities in the country that are all online (my local state P5 university is at 95% online classes; my son's law school is at 75% online classes), UR seems to have done about as well, if not better, than could be expected.

# of Students on college campuses dying from COVID is __________?

Dollars of student debt incurred to have a neutered student experience is __________?

Reactions: Spiders10
It would be interesting to think about how alums would donate and how the amounts may be different if naming buildings wasn’t a “perk”

Well, you'd have the 99.9% of us with no different behavior since 99.9% of us will never have anything named after us.

Without the 0.1%, you might have University Administrators actually having to manage to an true P&L and, maybe, removing layers and layers of useless administrative cost.

At some point, a segment of our society is going to learn to be better than calling other people that they don't know "racist", "sexist", "homophobic" because it's really easy and convenient ... and then promptly run away when they get challenged for it.

Hopefully that day is coming sooner than later. It's needed.
I agree people shouldn’t make snap assumptions on people.

Though I will say I also believe that victims of racism, sexism, and homophobia deserve people being “better” far before people being called racist, sexist, and homophobic unjustly.

At some point, a segment of our society that is racist, sexist, and homophobic will stop displaying such things and, now this is wishful thinking, will stop being those things. One day there will be no more safe harbor for this type of behavior and people will be held accountable for their behavior.

Hopefully that day is coming sooner than later. It's badly needed.

It is very telling that you're more worried about someone being called a racist than you are about actual racism.

I agree people shouldn’t make snap assumptions on people.

Though I will say I also believe that victims of racism, sexism, and homophobia deserve people being “better” far before people being called racist, sexist, and homophobic unjustly.

Agree with you Nathan. People who make snap assumptions are just looking to get burned. According to my account I've been here 3 years and have read thousands of posts. A snap assumption would have been me saying this day one because someone had a different opinion than me. I've deleted many posts immediately after making them in the past to avoid confrontation, but I feel that three years is ample time to make an assessment.

I’ll agree that throwing accusations on people one doesn’t know deserves an apology but I doubt this board will see one. Says much about about the person throwing out the terms racist bigoted and homophobe.

No disagreement there. That said, I could be a Black/Brown American homosexual transvestite married to the daughter of a slave and you've suggested that UR grads (me?) "Yearn for the past".

I’ll agree that throwing accusations on people one doesn’t know deserves an apology but I doubt this board will see one. Says much about about the person throwing out the terms racist bigoted and homophobe.

I didn't name anybody by name, that would be wrong. It's funny though, right? As soon as I say we have racist members on this board there are people coming out of the woodworks to defend themself...even though they haven't been accused of anything. Really makes you think...When a house gets robbed the neighbor doesn't come out and tell the police "it wasn't me I promise you that". "I'm a homeowner so how could I rob a house knowing that I too own a home"

Ply, you still haven't answered a number of questions I asked above. At your convenience, please do.

I yearn for the past in terms of our basketball program!!!

In terms of the rest of the stuff, if people are open for healthy debate, listening and willingness to change their opinions, there should always be a forum for that (maybe not a sports forum but sometimes there is good overlap). Certainly I have known some people/fans with racist views, and some of those folks changed their tune in time following some good heartfelt discussions. and I wouldn’t call them bad people. Then again, I know some that weren’t willing to understand some of their statements were hurtful and they continued to spew ignorance.

I personally admit that I’ve learned a lot over time and I’d like to think that I’m a better person than I was 20 years ago. Just because I said some stupid things then, I am glad that people don’t judge me today. I’d imagine most folks fall into this category.

At some point, a segment of our society is going to learn to be better than calling other people that they don't know "racist", "sexist", "homophobic" because it's really easy and convenient ... and then promptly run away when they get challenged for it.

Hopefully that day is coming sooner than later. It's needed.
I think we can agree that someone who owned slaves was a racist.

I didn't name anybody by name, that would be wrong. It's funny though, right? As soon as I say we have racist members on this board there are people coming out of the woodworks to defend themself...even though they haven't been accused of anything. Really makes you think...When a house gets robbed the neighbor doesn't come out and tell the police "it wasn't me I promise you that". "I'm a homeowner so how could I rob a house knowing that I too own a home"
I defending the members on this board who you accuse some of being racist. I’m also betting you don’t really know them yet you throw out the accusation. I know I wouldn’t get an apology, but I did get a dumbass analogy. Ignored!

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT