ADVERTISEMENT

OOC Tracker - Lunardi Impact

so you're never going to play lower level conference teams on the road? isn't this what we complain about with high major programs?
It is different when scheduling in the A10 versus a P5. In my opinion home & homes should be with teams that can help the SOS and I do not see the advantage in playing a team like Hampton at there place. Do you?

It is different when scheduling in the A10 versus a P5. In my opinion home & homes should be with teams that can help the SOS and I do not see the advantage in playing a team like Hampton at there place. Do you?
do P5's see the advantage of playing Richmond at our place? no. so they don't. and we don't like that.

we have a budget. I have no idea what it is, but I'd rather not spend a lot of it on buy games. if we're good enough, I'm not afraid to play at Hampton. I think it's good to play in hostile environments before league play starts.

Reactions: VT4700

Sounds like you are asking for P6 teams to only play mid majors at home, the the top two or three mid-majors to only play the middle mid-majors at home, and the middle mid majors to only play the lower mid majors at home. Impossible. Will never happen. If every team scheduled to only worry about SOS, and not play "lesser" teams on the road, no one would ever find 31 games. Schedules have to work both ways. We can't just say we want to play a specific 13 games out of conference and the other 13 will automatically agree to play us where we want.

I don't mind home and homes with other Virginia schools. It is an easy travel game and both schools should be able to draw some crossover fans to their home venue However, we can really only afford to do this with one other Virginia school per year (unless those schools are UVA and Tech). The ODU home and home is also a nice game for us.

Also, if we are going to be play a school like Hampton home and home, it would be wise not to completely embarrass ourselves and lose both ends of that home and home. Fortunately, we ditched Longwood, so we didn't have to relive that indignity again.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Sounds like you are asking for P6 teams to only play mid majors at home, the the top two or three mid-majors to only play the middle mid-majors at home, and the middle mid majors to only play the lower mid majors at home. Impossible. Will never happen. If every team scheduled to only worry about SOS, and not play "lesser" teams on the road, no one would ever find 31 games. Schedules have to work both ways. We can't just say we want to play a specific 13 games out of conference and the other 13 will automatically agree to play us where we want.
I never even mentioned P5 schools. I was talking about quality home and homes. ODU is a good one. Hampton was a poor choice in my opinion.

Reactions: ChoppinBroccoli
Would Richmond ever consider just playing one away game against a major conference team in the mid Atlantic (say a Maryland or N.C. State or West Virginia)? Or perhaps a 2 and 1 similar to what Old Dominion football had to do to get VT to play in Norfolk?

Would Richmond ever consider just playing one away game against a major conference team in the mid Atlantic (say a Maryland or N.C. State or West Virginia)? Or perhaps a 2 and 1 similar to what Old Dominion football had to do to get VT to play in Norfolk?

We have in the past

Reactions: MarlboroRed
I never even mentioned P5 schools. I was talking about quality home and homes. ODU is a good one. Hampton was a poor choice in my opinion.

I hear you. I just don't think it's easy to find all quality home and homes, and then get a few lesser teams to always come here without an occasional return trip. With the new quad system, playing at Hampton could actually be a good thing.

I’m fine with playing Hampton on road. We have to manage those kind of H&H’s but I agree with how they rank the quad games on the road they become even more valuable. Not holding my breath but I’m hoping it forces higher conf teams to reconsider adding more than normal. College bball and football are great but the biggest problem to me has always been schedule inequality. I wish the NCAA would mandate a max # of home games. Also think there is something to giving lower conf teams H&H occasionally if we expect the same from P6, and not just the very back of the P6.

Last edited:
Maybe Jacksonville St. then. I bet Lunardi has a connection he can help our crack scheduling staff to get this done.

Anyone heard any more rumors on the last team to be scheduled?

Bob Black promised NCAA team. Of course he also thought we could have as many as 6 non conf ncaa teams and we have just 2, max 3 if get Auburn. I really hope last one is NCAA. One we need it but two I don’t want to lose lot of respect for Bob.

I’m fine with playing Hampton on road. We have to manage those kind of H&H’s but I agree with how they rank the quad games on the road they become even more valuable. Not holding my breath but I’m hoping it forces higher conf teams to reconsider adding more than normal. College bball and football are great but the biggest problem to me has always been schedule inequality. I wish the NCAA would mandate a max # of home games. Also think there is something to giving lower conf teams H&H occasionally if we expect the same from P6, and not just the very back of the P6.

Some teams can skirt that by playing a game at a neutral site but in reality it's a home game, like Michigan playing so and so in Detroit, or North Carolina playing a game in Charlotte or Greensboro.

Some teams can skirt that by playing a game at a neutral site but in reality it's a home game, like Michigan playing so and so in Detroit, or North Carolina playing a game in Charlotte or Greensboro.

The blue bloods could you’re right. Other teams much harder bc those arenas come with rent, other expenses and less ticket revenue where it could be a loss.

But anyway have NCAA mandate minimum true road OOC games instead. Loophole closed. NCAA too weak to do it, would lead to less p5 bids.

Anyone heard any more rumors on the last team to be scheduled?

Bob Black promised NCAA team. Of course he also thought we could have as many as 6 non conf ncaa teams and we have just 2, max 3 if get Auburn. I really hope last one is NCAA. One we need it but two I don’t want to lose lot of respect for Bob.
Bob Black had his fingers crossed when he said that though.

12/8 South Alabama

We are Vandy's first road game on 11/14 after they play a couple home cupcakes to start. Think that sets up pretty well for us although that is a game we should win no matter what regardless.

Interesting in their release they talk about a number of teams but Stackhouse leaves us out. No respect anymore, gotta go earn it.

“This season we will face several conference champions along with Buffalo and Liberty, who both made the 2019 NCAA Tournament,” said Stackhouse. “We will also tackle Davidson, Tulsa, and SMU – programs that have excellent basketball traditions. “We look forward to the challenge of facing Loyola, a recent Final Four program, in Arizona. The road trip will allow us to face strong competition at a neutral site and provide Saben Lee, a Phoenix native, the opportunity to play in front of a hometown crowd.”

All ooc dates are known except for Bama and the promised but unannounced NCAA team as our 13th ooc game.

Sorry for the duplicate, we got a little off track on the other thread. Seems like this should be a no brainer, if you want to compete for NCAA bids, and attract big time recruits, just schedule as many good teams as possible. I know, there is some nuance, getting expected to be good mid majors, other mids with good SOS, etc. But for the most part it is pretty easy to see, and any number of folks on this board could use different metrics and a tad of research to identify. I assume that we hired Lunardi for his contacts and influence, or because assistants in charge failed miserably in past years. It does seem like another Hardt excuse of the day: See Chris did not have this resource before...

OK: Here is what I know so far Legends Classic will = 1-2 P6/high major games (depending on 2nd game)
Auburn/New Mexico
Wisconsin/New Mexico

Decent start. Since we are going to be scheduling the best OOC ever, or whatever the saying was. Here is a good bar to beat:

URI
Home: Alabama, Providence, Western Kentucky
Away: at Maryland, at West Virginia
MTE: Two high-major games

Looks like some work to do Joe!! Get to work big boy. Let's update this as OOC games are known, not sure if the Shortwoods and J-state of Arkansas are confirmed yet?
I suggest you look at Maryland's ooc schedule. It's nothing to write home about.
It is what it is-can we move on?

I suggest you look at Maryland's ooc schedule. It's nothing to write home about.
It is what it is-can we move on?

Annap, Maryland plays a 20 game B10 schedule, the OOC is not as important due to strength of league games. Yet they still play URI, Notre Dame, Seton Hall, and get 3 good games in a tourney starting with Temple, then either Tx A&M or Harvard. Not sure what you're seeing.

https://umterps.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=471

My point was they have some cupcakes on their ooc schedule too.
If we win, we’ll be fine. If we get beat-up in ooc play, it won’t matter
how great our ooc schedule is.

It couldn't possibly hurt. Actually, show up OK and make it a game for a while and it will help immensely. Heck, just show up and get skewered helps. I love it when our guys are sent to play a top 10 squad even when we're only borderline. I don't expect a win most years, but it sure makes the OOC strength and RPI look good heading into league play.

Still remember the Hampton hold up years ago. We were absolutely robbed the most bias officiating I've ever seen and I don't think I'd ever seen Jim Miller so mad. You hope things have changed but I don't like us playing there.
I agree the max number of home games is a great idea.... but won't happen.

Exactly! Though some posters here would lead you to believe these level schools are scared to play UR. That's right, WM so inferior to the Spiders. :rolleyes:

they are part of a tournament---they are fodder----no one is taking them seriously. They were probably paid $200k to be punching bags.. and she wants to "build the W&M brand". Playing Goucher college at home will do.

W&M just announced it is playing at Oklahoma, at Stanford and at Buffalo. That's how you schedule aggressively. Go play teams on the road.
I thought the aggressive part of their schedule was playing at High Point, at American, and at Fairfield...

I thought the aggressive part of their schedule was playing at High Point, at American, and at Fairfield...

Exactly. Their schedule is nothing to be excited about. Don't forget the D3 team on there. If we had that schedule, the haters would be whining about playing "down" Oklahoma and Stanford teams, and talk about how we were a year late playing Buffalo.

In that W&M schedule article JOC, quoted Mooney that UR was looking at hard at playing in that new DC arena that we played High Point in last year. So that appears to be where we are angling for our 13th OOC game. No mention of who are opponent might be. William and Mary is playing St. Francis in the other game.

Oklahoma and Stanford games are part of the Hall of Fame Classic tournament. they didn't just schedule W&M.

LOL! Thanks EL, I trusted you did the proper research that those games? Those games set up as tournament IMO aren't exactly the same as true away games ..... though if that's the way UR could accomplished getting those games, I'm all for it.

And my previous point stands with posters feeling P5/6 teams being scared about playing the Spiders due to a possible loss occurring is absurd. I'll give some credence to Mooney having a slightly more difficult time recruiting due to UR's higher academic standards, but no feeling sorry for Mooney from me for not getting the hardest OOC schedule possible.

In that W&M schedule article JOC, quoted Mooney that UR was looking at hard at playing in that new DC arena that we played High Point in last year. So that appears to be where we are angling for our 13th OOC game. No mention of who are opponent might be. William and Mary is playing St. Francis in the other game.

I'd take another game in that venue. Plus we know the opponent will be an NCAA team new to the schedule...Bob Black was very explicit about that!

Except it became clear that was just another part of the athletic department's bait & switch pr strategy.

It would be nice if we end up facing NCAA team anyway and Bob saves face slightly, tho his comments were still hot garbage.

it's not about getting the hardest OOC schedule possible!

Forget "hardest" okay Sman, maybe more challenging, demanding, ..... less HOME-DOMINATED type of OOC schedule. Mooney's appears to realize he doesn't have what it takes to get UR back the NCAAs and is doing/saying whatever needs be to keep his job as long as possible.

LOL! Thanks EL, I trusted you did the proper research that those games? Those games set up as tournament IMO aren't exactly the same as true away games ..... though if that's the way UR could accomplished getting those games, I'm all for it.

And my previous point stands with posters feeling P5/6 teams being scared about playing the Spiders due to a possible loss occurring is absurd. I'll give some credence to Mooney having a slightly more difficult time recruiting due to UR's higher academic standards, but no feeling sorry for Mooney from me for not getting the hardest OOC schedule possible.
Was only quoting directly from the WM Twitter account, which said @Stanford and @Oklahoma. Regardless two good games for them.

Was only quoting directly from the WM Twitter account, which said @Stanford and @Oklahoma. Regardless two good games for them.

Stanford has been to one dance the last 11 years. If we played them, you know you would not give us any credit for doing so.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT