ADVERTISEMENT

Noyes hits the portal

Nelson - "he does look like a day 1, 4 year guy. we'll see."
Randolph - "he looks like a lefty Sherod clone to me. solid body, very skilled, high basketball IQ, great shooter with great body control inside, not ridiculously athletic."
Noyes - "needs to get stronger. crazy bouncy and a lights out shooter. I didn't see great quickness in his highlights, but he should be laterally quick if he's that explosive vertically."
Dread - "I like the highlights. looks to have "effortless" lateral quickness defensively, like it's easy. he's very smooth and in control. seems a really high basketball IQ kind of guy."

2/5/21: "I've got very high hopes for this class. some serious shooters." :D

wait u r the one who is saying Noyes can't play here/would not play here and is behind everyone else on the team. Not me. U r being negative on the players. Might be true, but if it is, I'm just curious how that guy was the starter in first place then. Mooney had him for 2 years prior. And yeah when those minutes would have been going to a better player in games we all lost, it certainly could have made a difference. Is Noyes behind Tanner? a guy that touched the floor a lot less.
You act like no other coach has ever started a guy and then played him little or no minutes. I have no issues starting Noyes because he was a shooter, and going into the season, it was a pretty popular opinion on here that we needed shooters out there. Bigs shot 26.5% from 3 two years ago, and King 31.5. We knew Dji wasn't a 3 point guy, and obviously Quinn wasn't, so it made all the sense in the world to start Noyes. And so funny you get on Mooney for starting him when nearly all of this board was mad at Mooney for not playing him more 2 years ago. Probably you included, but I don't care enough to look it up.

When Noyes' impact wasn't positive enough, we made a change with Dji. Coaches often change their starting lineups. It happens. Dji played well and made a positive impact, King and Bigs were shooting lights out from 3 meaning we could afford to play a non shooter like Dji big minutes, Harris started playing better and better, and the result was Noyes being too far down in the rotation to see the floor. It happens.

Reactions: gcarter52
You act like no other coach has ever started a guy and then played him little or no minutes. I have no issues starting Noyes because he was a shooter, and going into the season, it was a pretty popular opinion on here that we needed shooters out there. Bigs shot 26.5% from 3 two years ago, and King 31.5. We knew Dji wasn't a 3 point guy, and obviously Quinn wasn't, so it made all the sense in the world to start Noyes. And so funny you get on Mooney for starting him when nearly all of this board was mad at Mooney for not playing him more 2 years ago. Probably you included, but I don't care enough to look it up.

When Noyes' impact wasn't positive enough, we made a change with Dji. Coaches often change their starting lineups. It happens. Dji played well and made a positive impact, King and Bigs were shooting lights out from 3 meaning we could afford to play a non shooter like Dji big minutes, Harris started playing better and better, and the result was Noyes being too far down in the rotation to see the floor. It happens.

All that is fine. Roles change, agree that def does happen. But I would say it's pretty rare to go from starter to virtually no role.

u said we've seen all we need to see and he would be behind everyone else. Well why behind Tanner who got even less run?

& all I said originally is I'd rather take our chances with him back, given we still have 3 ships (now 4) to fill. and u even get that elusive 4 year guy (loyalty mr. spider!), u put 3 years in fair to get the 4th imo...if player wants to return. u don't care about 13 ships, I do. It's more important now imo bc u don't worry about a player being stuck with a ship, they move on or u move them on. heck I advocated for taking more hs committments without an open ship at the time. why because 100% it would change. I think u and sman were very against. I like having a larger candidate pool to find my strongest 8 man rotation. Same reason there r classifications in hs sports. Larger schools have larger pool of players. Math. & I realize other schools have trouble filling 13 but their problem not ours. maybe we get 4 more good players and it's moot point but that could be a challenge.

I'm not making Noyes into some stud, but Moon saw something to make him a starter, we've seen athleticism. That doesn't just go away. dji went from a very small role to big role. Their situations not exactly alike but some similarities. so either it's still there & potentially he could help us, or Moon's judgement was way off....again, like w Nelson.

Or maybe this just means your guy Dji who u don't want back is coming home! I still find unlikely but never know.

... heck I advocated for taking more hs committments without an open ship at the time. why because 100% it would change. I think u and sman were very against. I like having a larger candidate pool to find my strongest 8 man rotation.
I can just see that meeting at the end of an official visit ... Mooney and assistants with the recruit and his parents.

Mooney: "Jimmy, whaddaya say? Ready to become a Spider?"

Jimmy's Dad: "Coach, one question ... I'm looking at your roster and I see 13 guys comming back. Do you have an open scholarship for Jimmy?"

Mooney: "Not right now, Dad, but we're pretty sure someone will leave. If not, we'll make room. Scholarships are really one year contracts, not 4 year commitments you know."

Jimmy's Dad: ":oops:"

Reactions: VT4700 and urfan1
I can just see that meeting at the end of an official visit ... Mooney and assistants with the recruit and his parents.

Mooney: "Jimmy, whaddaya say? Ready to become a Spider?"

Jimmy's Dad: "Coach, one question ... I'm looking at your roster and I see 13 guys comming back. Do you have an open scholarship for Jimmy?"

Mooney: "Not right now, Dad, but we're pretty sure someone will leave. If not, we'll make room. Scholarships are really one year contracts, not 4 year commitments you know."

Jimmy's Dad: ":oops:"

Is that after they ask for NIL money or tell Mooney to go talk to their agent? :oops:

If we are committing NIL money I don't think they are really concerned, they know the spot will be there.

And in 2024 everyone knows they r not 4 year committments

Is that after they ask for NIL money or tell Mooney to go talk to their agent? :oops:

If we are committing NIL money I don't think they are really concerned, they know the spot will be there.

And in 2024 everyone knows they r not 4 year committments
no kid (or his parents) want to hear that you push kids out for the new flavor of the month each year.

Reactions: urfan1
no kid (or his parents) want to hear that you push kids out for the new flavor of the month each year.

Welcome to the portal era! U just defined it eloquently.

& probably a good lesson to be learned if u r simultaneously asking to get paid to come to UR.

But I never said it was pushing out. Just that ships would open.

Also in all seriousness I hope Mooney has a lot more tact. I would say his response would be more like…”Johnny every program has some level of attrition ours has less than most but unfortunately there will always be some and that is by the player’s circumstances. Don’t worry nobody is getting the short straw”.

Then Johnny fills out his direct deposit paperwork.

what you say makes some sense, but I don't think we'd ever go that route. because if we have this great culture we talk about, and if we raise enough NIL money, there could be times when nobody wants to leave. and then you're forced to kick a guy.

what you say makes some sense, but I don't think we'd ever go that route. because if we have this great culture we talk about, and if we raise enough NIL money, there could be times when nobody wants to leave. and then you're forced to kick a guy.

Extreme longshot, as the rules r now.

Do you think UR has ever told a guy he would better off to transfer? u leave impression it is always 100% by player choice. Unless u truly think it's 100% we r already moving kids along. I don't think we have a culture of everyone stays 4 years if they want to stay 4 years. Tho we're "better than most" (Verne Lundquist voice). maybe 10 years ago we did.

Do you think UR has ever told a guy he would better off to transfer?
hard to say. most of our transfers were guys not getting time. could be we had that discussion or at least told him we don't see him playing ... letting him make the decision.

I know a guy who knows a guy. told me about a coach at an A10-comparable-level-league team. has a player who didn't develop into what they hoped. "good kid though. won't get time at this level. we won't push him out though. we don't do that".

maybe wishful thinking but that's how I'd do it too, and I hope we do assuming the kid is putting in work and is a good teammate.

plus ... why recruit extra HS kids beyond the 13 when you have so many opportunities in the portal to fill spots?

And no kid would be excited about going to a team that has 13 guys coming back. Forget excited, they wouldn't even consider us.

Reactions: spiderman
And no kid would be excited about going to a team that has 13 guys coming back. Forget excited, they wouldn't even consider us.
agreed. there are teams with better looking playing time situations.

how about, "son I can only offer a recruited walk on at this time, but if you come here and perform as I believe you will you will be considered for the first available scholarship"

• Haha

not really sure what u and sman r saying there. would def not be 13 guys coming back, thats the point. organically there will be attrition. I'm just saying if the situation arised in the Fall w a hs recruit we liked I don't see the big deal doing it. Yes we'll always need portal spots & we'll get them too but think there has been a recent opportunity to get better frosh recruits bc the big boys r taking less. part of that is covid bonus.

how about, "son I can only offer a recruited walk on at this time, but if you come here and perform as I believe you will you will be considered for the first available scholarship"
So, if this guy is any good, he would likely have a scholarship and NIL available at other schools. Someone showed earlier how many scholarships are still available at A-10 schools. A lot!. So, why would he consider us?

Jack Graham the infamous 2 for 4! idk what happens there but I'd take decent odds he will actually be on a ship this season.

Reactions: Eight Legger
not really sure what u and sman r saying there. would def not be 13 guys coming back, thats the point. organically there will be attrition. I'm just saying if the situation arised in the Fall w a hs recruit we liked I don't see the big deal doing it. Yes we'll always need portal spots & we'll get them too but think there has been a recent opportunity to get better frosh recruits bc the big boys r taking less. part of that is covid bonus.
we're both saying the kid wouldn't sign up for that.

Reactions: VT4700
we're both saying the kid wouldn't sign up for that.

fact is it's happened before. Not here but elsewhere. I don't see why not, the kids know there will be plenty of attrition. The hs kids today r just dying to get a spot. but it's only a hypothetical we are all entitled to own opinions.

Fire Bennett Extend Mooney!

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Okay, but who is leaving? The recruit wouldn't know. If we have 8 Gs and 5 Fs, what if he is a G and 3 of the Fs leave? You say there is no big deal doing it, but you are ignoring this from the player's view. With scholarships available all over the place now, what kid would be interested in this?

fact is it's happened before. Not here but elsewhere. I don't see why not, the kids know there will be plenty of attrition. The hs kids today r just dying to get a spot. but it's only a hypothetical we are all entitled to own opinions.

Fire Bennett Extend Mooney!
Your Bennett comments are so childish..you show your age more and more everyday on here.

Okay, but who is leaving? The recruit wouldn't know. If we have 8 Gs and 5 Fs, what if he is a G and 3 of the Fs leave? You say there is no big deal doing it, but you are ignoring this from the player's view. With scholarships available all over the place now, what kid would be interested in this?

I answered that above.

What is the d1 basketball year over year attrition rate?

Little ironic u r so glad to have Noyes leave

I answered that above.

What is the d1 basketball year over year attrition rate?

Little ironic u r so glad to have Noyes leave
I'm talking the importance of which position is leaving. That matters to kids. And, when did I say I was glad he lleft? It makes sense for him and I definitely think he saw the writing on the wall, but it wouldn't have bothered me had he stayed or left.

So, if this guy is any good, he would likely have a scholarship and NIL available at other schools. Someone showed earlier how many scholarships are still available at A-10 schools. A lot!. So, why would he consider us?
not saying he would, but feel a better pitch than, we've got someone leaving and that slot can be yours

I'm talking the importance of which position is leaving. That matters to kids. And, when did I say I was glad he lleft? It makes sense for him and I definitely think he saw the writing on the wall, but it wouldn't have bothered me had he stayed or left.

Ok not “glad” retracting glad. Instead u think best Noyes transfers considering u deemed him the worst on the team w no hope for improvement & behind everyone else on the team including 2 freshman we’ve never seen play & Tanner who was behind Noyes last year.

Ok not “glad” retracting glad. Instead u think best Noyes transfers considering u deemed him the worst on the team w no hope for improvement & behind everyone else on the team including 2 freshman we’ve never seen play & Tanner who was behind Noyes last year.
Very possible, yes. And, I think he might see that as well, which could be why he decided to transfer. This is what I said about him on March 20th when I did the Next Year thread: "I think Noyes might be exactly who we saw this year, so not sure if I expect him to be a rotation guy." I don't remember you giving me crap for that then....and my opinion hasn't changed a month later. Why has yours?

What's funny is you love finding things on here to get on people for, like when you commented that Sman liked the Nelson and Noyes class. Well, so what if he liked it, so did other people on here. And, I got this one right with Noyes, and yet you still get on me for it! Hilarious. All you want to do is post on here about people getting something wrong. and even when they get something right, you still get on them. You are way too predictable.

Last edited:
What did I change my opinion about?

Re:Noyes I reiterate I’d rather have a guy like him stay & try to be in mix & have 3 ships to fill rather than him leave & have 4 ships to fill. I don’t want Tanner to transfer & have 5 ships to fill either. Maybe u do since Tanner was behind Noyes.

Sman loves every class. That was the joke. He understood it to be good natured. If I got on u too hard for that sman next round is on me at Blackie’s!

• Haha
Objectively, there will always be a kid interested because he doesn’t have better/any options. Tons of kids out there praying for a scholarship opportunity. It’s mostly a function of how far downstream would the staff want to go.

I think to your point, not super far.

Objectively, there will always be a kid interested because he doesn’t have better/any options. Tons of kids out there praying for a scholarship opportunity. It’s mostly a function of how far downstream would the staff want to go.

If a guy doesn't have any other options, shouldn't we just wait for the portal in the spring instead of taking a 14th guy nobody else wants in the previous fall?

that's the kid that I think would take an offer when we don't have an open spot and a clear need for his position.

we get much better players when we have a hole. like this year with Bigelow and Harris graduating, McGlothin and Robinson commit. Quinn's starter's minutes graduate, we land Beagle in the portal. etc.

If a guy doesn't have any other options, shouldn't we just wait for the portal in the spring instead of taking a 14th guy nobody else wants in the previous fall?
Yes but I think you’re painting it black or white. I said they may not have “better” options. That might still be someone we’re interested in.

But I generally agree that it’s not a terribly good pitch to have to sell a guy on.

Last edited:
Very possible, yes. And, I think he might see that as well, which could be why he decided to transfer. This is what I said about him on March 20th when I did the Next Year thread: "I think Noyes might be exactly who we saw this year, so not sure if I expect him to be a rotation guy." I don't remember you giving me crap for that then....and my opinion hasn't changed a month later. Why has yours?

What's funny is you love finding things on here to get on people for, like when you commented that Sman liked the Nelson and Noyes class. Well, so what if he liked it, so did other people on here. And, I got this one right with Noyes, and yet you still get on me for it! Hilarious. All you want to do is post on here about people getting something wrong. and even when they get something right, you still get on them. You are way too predictable.
For the record, I was not a huge fan of that class. With the exception of Nelson, it was a class where everyone else we were pretty much the best offer they had. That is always a red flag to me.

even Nelson's offers were a little odd, in retrospect.

the top was fine with Richmond, VCU and Vanderbilt
after that was Canisius, Drake, Drexel, Howard, Norfolk State, Virginia State, Virginia Union

a little thin for a guy I was plugging in as a starter for 4 years.

I predicted that no one in that class would be left after five years, possibly sooner. Nailed it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT