ADVERTISEMENT

Noyes hits the portal

wow. that's a shame. thought he'd get a shot this year. seems late to enter. kinda puts him behind. feels like half the portal has found their spot already ... at least half of the ones we reached out to.

theories:
heard the graphics department is working on light sabres for Manon's commitment post.
or he read Mooney's quotes about playing 2 bigs together.
or heard expectations of the freshmen.
or Tanner was lighting him up in practice.

Reactions: urfan1 and GKiller
Granted it’s the portal era anything can happen but I am a little surprised. Given that he’s 3 years in, now 1 from UR degree, will have to go down a level & would still have the grad year option next year if things didn’t work out as expected. And he showed Mooney enough to be a starter originally this past season.

We have plenty of open spots already so much rather roll with Noyes & see if takes the next step. Saw the flashes of athleticism. And we just don’t have a lot of wings. Athletic wings don’t grow on trees here at UR.

Might mean we have news coming. But still a bummer imo. I want as many options on roster as possible.

Reactions: PalmTreeSpidUR
Granted it’s the portal era anything can happen but I am a little surprised.
agreed. I get that he didn't play a lot. but Harris and Bigelow just graduated and Bailey is leaving.
where is he going to find a more attactive spot to compete for time at the wing? seems like a great opportunity ... unless someone's coming who'd slot in ahead of him.

Reactions: GKiller
I think the writing on the wall was pretty clear to us and him about his future. He was our starting 3 at the beginning of the year and by the end he was not even playing anymore. Noyes played a grand total of 4 minutes once we started conference. If that is not the coach telling you, you might want to explore other options, I don't know what is.

I'm not surprised, the only thing that surprised me is that it took this long. I hope he has success at wherever he ends up and on our end I hope we replace his ship with someone who can make a much more meaningful impact for us on the court.

Best of luck to Aidan, will be rooting for him wherever he lands up. I thought this might mean we had good news coming on Manon, but clearly that's not the case.

4 spots left to fill now.

Just realized this means the entire high school recruiting class of 2021 has transferred out before completing 4 years at UR:

Dread: Transfers after 2 years
Nelson: Transfers after 2 years
Randolph: Transfers after 2 years
Noyes: Transfers after 3 years.

wow. that's a shame. thought he'd get a shot this year. seems late to enter. kinda puts him behind. feels like half the portal has found their spot already ... at least half of the ones we reached out to.

theories:
heard the graphics department is working on light sabres for Manon's commitment post.
or he read Mooney's quotes about playing 2 bigs together.
or heard expectations of the freshmen.
or Tanner was lighting him up in practice.
He needs to transfer down to a lesser mid major or low major, and those schools will have plenty of room for someone as athletic as him.

Granted it’s the portal era anything can happen but I am a little surprised. Given that he’s 3 years in, now 1 from UR degree, will have to go down a level & would still have the grad year option next year if things didn’t work out as expected. And he showed Mooney enough to be a starter originally this past season.

We have plenty of open spots already so much rather roll with Noyes & see if takes the next step. Saw the flashes of athleticism. And we just don’t have a lot of wings. Athletic wings don’t grow on trees here at UR.

Might mean we have news coming. But still a bummer imo. I want as many options on roster as possible.
I don't know, G. I think we have been there and done that with him, and seen all we need to see. He seems to be the tweener type, who can't handle it well enough to be a guard, but isn't big enough to be a forward.

agreed. I get that he didn't play a lot. but Harris and Bigelow just graduated and Bailey is leaving.
where is he going to find a more attactive spot to compete for time at the wing? seems like a great opportunity ... unless someone's coming who'd slot in ahead of him.
He would be behind nearly everyone on our team if he stayed. And, that includes our two freshmen.

Really had positive expectations for him entering this pass season. Not sure what happened but don’t think he met too many expectations. His reduced playing time was probably an indicator of things to come. Writing on the wall. Hope he finds a good fit.

Reactions: PalmTreeSpidUR
Just realized this means the entire high school recruiting class of 2021 has transferred out before completing 4 years at UR:

And this is why we should just plan to recruit from D1 from now on instead of from high school.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
I don't know, G. I think we have been there and done that with him, and seen all we need to see. He seems to be the tweener type, who can't handle it well enough to be a guard, but isn't big enough to be a forward.

It was Mooney who was propping him up the most last summer & gave Noyes a starting position. Moon liked him & had to see more than u…OR admit that’s coaching mismanagement.

My issue too is we now have 4 ships. R we going to find 4 better players than an athletic 3 year system guy? Idk maybe but doubt it. Also I’m not against nudging guys out the door but u really should after year 1 or 2. At 3 years I’d advocate for letting a guy get his 4th & graduate esp with our scholarship situation.

Now it’s possible nothing was going to change w playing time but there’s a better path as of now. Also possible it was purely all Noyes decision. Let’s see what happens w 4 ships open but I’m happy to be the contrarian here.

He would be behind nearly everyone on our team if he stayed. And, that includes our two freshmen.

That’s a big leap imo based on Mooney’s hs recruiting for many many years now. I like the 2 we have coming in too based on highlights but how they adapt to college game is unknown and recent precedent under Moon says don’t expect a big role. Hope to be wrong.

It was Mooney who was propping him up the most last summer & gave Noyes a starting position. Moon liked him & had to see more than u…OR admit that’s coaching mismanagement.

My issue too is we now have 4 ships. R we going to find 4 better players than an athletic 3 year system guy? Idk maybe but doubt it. Also I’m not against nudging guys out the door but u really should after year 1 or 2. At 3 years I’d advocate for letting a guy get his 4th & graduate esp with our scholarship situation.

Now it’s possible nothing was going to change w playing time but there’s a better path as of now. Also possible it was purely all Noyes decision. Let’s see what happens w 4 ships open but I’m happy to be the contrarian here.
Well, not every guy you throw out there pans out. He probably looked really good in practice, and made a bunch of 3s, and, our best case scenario would have had him being a solid starter at his size, who could make some 3s, grab some boards, use his athleticism to his advantage, and give us 20+ good minutes a game. As good as Dji did for us, Noyes panning out gave our team more upside, so I have no issue at all with Mooney starting him early. But, he just never could consistently make a positive impact out there, and sometimes it takes live games, and not practice, to see the true tweener come out in someone.

It's funny you start your post getting on Mooney for this, when there are maybe close to 2,000 transfers out there? Should we be maybe the only school to not have a transfer or two? I'm surprised this news would have surprised anyone. Yes, Mooney talked him up and why shouldn't he? Don't you want to build a guy's confidence in the pre season? Mooney also made a change and put Dji in there, which turned out to be the correct call. Don't many on here get on Mooney for never changing? And, no, I don't always agree with Mooney. I think he absolutely made a mistake by giving the keys to Nelson, and misjudged his impact and talent level. The difference is Nelson was at the all important PG position, so Mooney had to get that right, and when he didn't, we had a losing season as a result. Noyes' spot could be replaced much easier and we did just that with Dji, and won the A-10 regular season as a result. So, again, I can't fault Mooney there for giving Noyes a chance early based on what his upside would have meant for us, but I was ready for Dji to start when Mooney made the change.

I am not at all concerned about having 4 ships left. You never play 13 guys anyway, and with the portal the way it is, there is no real need to have 13 just to have 13. Sometimes, a smaller roster presents better opportunities for portal guys, and many portal guys find a smaller roster a lot more attractive than being a team's last piece or two.

That’s a big leap imo based on Mooney’s hs recruiting for many many years now. I like the 2 we have coming in too based on highlights but how they adapt to college game is unknown and recent precedent under Moon says don’t expect a big role. Hope to be wrong.
Well, how they adapt is unknown, but we already saw how Noyes adapted. He just wasn't going to get good minutes here, if any, had he stayed.

Well, how they adapt is unknown, but we already saw how Noyes adapted. He just wasn't going to get good minutes here, if any, had he stayed.
Mooney has done well with hs recruits, it is the sign of the times. Schools across the country are experiencing players transferring for one reason or another. Players are behaving like coaches back in the day, changing schools for what they think the grass is greener elsewhere.

Reactions: urfan1
VT4700 - I didn’t get on Moon for Noyes transferring, show me where. But i put on Moon for the error in starting him esp if he’s the guy u describe who has no shot to play, on very likely a worse team. I was leaning to give Moon benefit of doubt starting Noyes but not now.

Noyes started 7 games. We lost to BC Colorado & Wichita. Winnable games. We get 2 of those we’re probably in at large position. We can’t have a 19 year vet coach with just 1 ncaa in 13 years making that kind of mistake. That’s 2 egregious ones back to back years after Nelson.

U don’t admit starting Noyes was a mistake in hindsight? That’s Fire Bennett Extend Mooney.

Noyes athleticism I always wanted to see out on the floor more, but we needed Dji to start vs 6th man.
Then I expected him to switch roles and that did not happen and he got buried. Had little injury problem
at one point but don’t know if that got in his head and the coaching staffs head.

VT4700 - I didn’t get on Moon for Noyes transferring, show me where. But i put on Moon for the error in starting him esp if he’s the guy u describe who has no shot to play, on very likely a worse team. I was leaning to give Moon benefit of doubt starting Noyes but not now.

Noyes started 7 games. We lost to BC Colorado & Wichita. Winnable games. We get 2 of those we’re probably in at large position. We can’t have a 19 year vet coach with just 1 ncaa in 13 years making that kind of mistake. That’s 2 egregious ones back to back years after Nelson.

U don’t admit starting Noyes was a mistake in hindsight? That’s Fire Bennett Extend Mooney.
Well, you just proved my point that you will blame Mooney for everything. Noyes had one of his better games against BC, scoring 7 points and getting 4 rebounds in 18 minutes. He only played 10 minutes against Colorado and only 5 against Wichita, but you are saying those minutes cost us both games?? LOL. Whatever, G.

I think it was as simple as: Noyes got the injury, Harris moved up the depth chart to fill the minutes, and seized the opportunity with his defense and hustle. From there, we had a pretty defined 8 man rotation, and Noyes never got himself back in it.

Yes Moon goes to a smaller defined rotation. I don't recall exactly when the injury came but he was basically out of rotation before the injury iirc. Also losing his starting position had nothing to do with injury that was definitely b4 it.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Well, you just proved my point that you will blame Mooney for everything. Noyes had one of his better games against BC, scoring 7 points and getting 4 rebounds in 18 minutes. He only played 10 minutes against Colorado and only 5 against Wichita, but you are saying those minutes cost us both games?? LOL. Whatever, G.

wait u r the one who is saying Noyes can't play here/would not play here and is behind everyone else on the team. Not me. U r being negative on the players. Might be true, but if it is, I'm just curious how that guy was the starter in first place then. Mooney had him for 2 years prior. And yeah when those minutes would have been going to a better player in games we all lost, it certainly could have made a difference. Is Noyes behind Tanner? a guy that touched the floor a lot less.

Mortal lock spiderman loved this class!
lol, what can I say ... I'm a glass half full guy!

I'll go on record that I think this year's little 2 man class, while small, is one of my favorites. I think they both could be powerhouses.
last year ... was super high on Tanner. still am. liked some guys we missed on ... Reed, Ball, Durkin.
the class you're talking about, I loved the Nelson signing. we came close but missed (again) on some guys I was all in on ... Avila, Buchanan and Hunger.

Last edited:
Also I’m not against nudging guys out the door but u really should after year 1 or 2. At 3 years I’d advocate for letting a guy get his 4th & graduate esp with our scholarship situation.

I think there's no chance this was a nudge. if we didn't have spots ... maybe. but not in the end of April when we already have 3 holes (now 4) to fill.

Reactions: VT4700

To underscore yet again, Mooney is not a good high school recruiter. This 4 man class literally not one was an A-10 player.

that sounds expensive. are HS kids getting as much in NIL as the transfers?
Well, we're already doing the NIL thing. If we do nothing else but maintain our current level of transfer success, it's better than what we've been getting from our HS recruits recently. I don't know what to expect from any HS kids any more. I like McGlothin, but if he's as good as we all hope, he's probably in the portal at this time next year anyway. And if he's not, then we might be wishing we had just signed some lower level college guy who could contribute right away.

Adapt and adjust. Recruiting and rotations have to do both.

Weird to say that recruiting multi year portal guys adds stability to a roster but that may well be the situation in the current landscape. Smaller recruiting classes where Moon can offer them opportunities to play may be the best option to avoid the T. Smith type situation. Or maybe do exactly that and recruit 2 players at a key position and one guy will beat out the other, who will transfer.

here's an interesting fact:
last season, Dji was our only 4 year guy.
the year before, just Tyler,
in 2022 we were loaded with 4+ year guys with Grant, MFG, Cayo, Sal, Goose, Nick and Gilly. that's crazy.

but back to last season ... there were only 4 pairs of teammates in the entire A10 who spent 4 or more years together. read that somewhere.
giphy.gif

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Spiderman in 2021 (probably) :

Nelson - next great Spider PG, KA flashbacks!
Randolph - lights out shooter, lefty Sherod!
Noyes - bouncy, rangy wing who can shoot and dunk, mix of Ryan Butler and Kevin Smith!
Dread - classic glue guy with ability to guard 4 positions!

Love this class! Perfect fits!

all in good fun…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT