ADVERTISEMENT

@ Northern Iowa 12/5

yeah, the hype scared me. I expected to see more.
I know it's only one game and maybe he's a stud, but I don't see the NBA talk.
I believe we put mostly Zay and a little Dji on him and said "don't help ... stay with him". and he was a non-factor.
did the great Mark Schmidt not do that???
😂 He hit those first 2 shots on same play..screen up top but after that I wasn’t impressed. Not sure where the hype is coming from. He will see guys as long as Dji in the league every single night so I would def need to see more, a lot more. 🕷🏀

Nice to see the defense show up today. We didn't shoot it great and still were able to come away with the win. Gave up a few wide-open buckets underneath when we tried to help up high, and got backdoored a couple times, but overall we were pretty solid. Kept our guys in front of us, and mostly helped just enough to clog things up for the Panthers.

Oh, and loved the way we held them at arm's length down the stretch. Took the lead for good at just under 16 minutes to go, and once we pushed it out to double digits around the 10-minute mark, we never let them get closer than seven.
Pretty much agree with your post. I still think we give up too many easy baskets under the goal. Would like to see more aggressiveness in the paint on defense.

I think we played to NI's weaknesses. NI doesn't pound the boards often in their offensive scheme (mirror of UR although today we did seem to grab a few more offensive rebounds). IMO NI is a soft team that we match up well with and should win against. They remind me somewhat of Davidson.

Reactions: SpiderDogg
😂 He hit those first 2 shots on same play..screen up top but after that I wasn’t impressed. Not sure where the hype is coming from. He will see guys as long as Dji in the league every single night so I would def need to see more, a lot more. 🕷🏀
I think we did a great job of defending Green, but he must be a really good shooter to put up the numbers he has this year. He looks like he's a pure shooter / very fluid / nice stroke. I'm like you - I'd like to see more body of work to conclude on him.

I was amused by the announcers mentioning several times before and after the half about our offensive rebounds and how we only average 7 and we were way ahead of that pace. Well, we finished the game with 5. Of course, UNI only had 3.

Very encouraging we can win a game like this one without GG contributing much. He seemed frustrated by a lot of no-calls and missed some easy shots. I thought he was going to dominate when we learned UNI was sitting their center for the game. Hopefully Grant gets back to form next week as he’s been incredible this year.

Could it be a combination of the defensive effort shown to him ?
Could have been. Also could have been an off day. I mean, our best shooters have these games too. It seems like the guy is a legit pro prospect. So I’ll defer to the scouts who know more than us hacks on a forum.

Our radio guys mentioned during the broadcast that we had travel difficulties, again (I think they said the plane left 6 hours late). Isn't chartering supposed to prevent this kind of thing, especially with cooperative weather?

Our radio guys mentioned during the broadcast that we had travel difficulties, again (I think they said the plane left 6 hours late). Isn't chartering supposed to prevent this kind of thing, especially with cooperative weather?
You’re kidding. They looked like they were flying commercial on the way to the Drake game though. Anybody know how they traveled to this one?

Could have been. Also could have been an off day. I mean, our best shooters have these games too. It seems like the guy is a legit pro prospect. So I’ll defer to the scouts who know more than us hacks on a forum.I guess
I guess, but he's had like 2 good games this year. and 3 single digit scoring games. with a nothing special schedule.

future NBA players usually show something obviously NBA-like, even in a bad game. I didn't see the athleticism needed to play in the NBA.

the only NBA prospect today was Tyler.

I guess, but he's had like 2 good games this year. and 3 single digit scoring games. with a nothing special schedule.

future NBA players usually show something obviously NBA-like, even in a bad game. I didn't see the athleticism needed to play in the NBA.

You can be a professional basketball player without being in the NBA.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
I thought UR did a good job defending Green. Made it difficult for him, and that was well done.

But, when someone says X, Y, or Z stopped or held a GREAT offensive player to 0 points (or whatever), I disagree. A GREAT offensive player (I'm not saying Greene is, I don't know) can score on anybody. There is no defense that can "stop" the offense of a great scorer. Above average defenders can sometimes slow a great offensive player down, and make it more difficult, but defense is not capable of stopping a great scorer for an entire game.

When great shooters get in rhythm they are virtually unstoppable. A quick look at the film posted earlier in this thread makes me suspect that Greene is a well above average shooter. He was coming off screens firing threes, falling away from 3, hitting with defenders in his face (and all over him), and scoring from everywhere with all kinds of shots when he was putting up 30, 35, etc. The attempt at defense had little to no effect on his scoring. The shots that Greene was making in his big scoring games support my point.

The opposite is also true. When a shooter can't get tuned in, (flip the switch for whatever reason) they suddenly become very controllable. Sometimes a great shooter can't hit the ocean from the deck of a cruise ship. When that shooter can't get their rhythm, confidence dips, and they are a different player.

I'm not saying that the Spiders didn't do a good job on Greene (read statement # 1 above again). The defense impacted him, which is good, but his rhythm and mindset kept his scoring from going off. If his switch had been flipped on, he would have put up big numbers today just like he did in the other games.

Understand that the point of this post isn't referring to the average player. Defense CAN often control an average or below average offensive player. But, the average player doesn't put up multiple games of 30+ either.

I thought UR did a good job defending Green. Made it difficult for him, and that was well done.

But, when someone says X, Y, or Z stopped or held a GREAT offensive player to 0 points (or whatever), I disagree. A GREAT offensive player (I'm not saying Greene is, I don't know) can score on anybody. There is no defense that can "stop" the offense of a great scorer. Above average defenders can sometimes slow a great offensive player down, and make it more difficult, but defense is not capable of stopping a great scorer for an entire game.

When great shooters get in rhythm they are virtually unstoppable. A quick look at the film posted earlier in this thread makes me suspect that Greene is a well above average shooter. He was coming off screens firing threes, falling away from 3, hitting with defenders in his face (and all over him), and scoring from everywhere with all kinds of shots when he was putting up 30, 35, etc. The attempt at defense had little to no effect on his scoring. The shots that Greene was making in his big scoring games support my point.

The opposite is also true. When a shooter can't get tuned in, (flip the switch for whatever reason) they suddenly become very controllable. Sometimes a great shooter can't hit the ocean from the deck of a cruise ship. When that shooter can't get their rhythm, confidence dips, and they are a different player.

I'm not saying that the Spiders didn't do a good job on Greene (read statement # 1 above again). The defense impacted him, which is good, but his rhythm and mindset kept his scoring from going off. If his switch had been flipped on, he would have put up big numbers today just like he did in the other games.

Understand that the point of this post isn't referring to the average player. Defense CAN often control an average or below average offensive player. But, the average player doesn't put up multiple games of 30+ either.
This^

This is why I like your posts. There is usually good substance & depth to support your point(s) as opposed to some of the drive by rah rah team at all costs or pom pom Mooney posters.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Green is an excellent player with legit NBA possibilities, which makes our effort against him today all the more impressive.

Reactions: plydogg
Remember he’s just coming back from hip surgery after missing almost all of last season. He certainly seemed to be rounding back into the form the past couple of games.

Can't judge a player on a single game. AJ Green has averaged 15+ points per game since he was a freshmen and was a consensus 4*, top 100 recruit. He is pretty good. Not sure about the NBA though.

Spot on…He has a nice stroke but the league is filled with big athletic guards who can defend. I too didn’t see the athleticism, change in speed, or a real ability to create his shot. But hey, we are just hacks on MB 🤷🏼‍♂️😀

Reactions: spiderman
At an event with several NBA Scouts present, one thing they agreed upon: all prospects can shoot, the ones that can make it can play D. One Scout said a question he always asked as he evaluated, "who can he defend"?

Can't judge a player on a single game. AJ Green has averaged 15+ points per game since he was a freshmen and was a consensus 4*, top 100 recruit. He is pretty good. Not sure about the NBA though.
Def agree with this...I don't think anyone was saying he wasn't any good but the talk all week was that he is a legit NBA prospect. My personal opinion is that isn't what was on display last night. Zay and Dji did a great job defending him. But if we are talking about the league...not the G league, not overseas, the NBA then I didn't see it. It is one game like mentioned but if we are saying he's an elite guard that put up "multiple 30 pt games" then Zay and Dji's defense was a big factor. You can count on one hand who can "flip a switch" "turn it off and on when they want to" Green isn't that guy. I don't think anyone in college is that guy. It is ok to disagree, but hey isn't fun to talk about our guys playing some actual defense and having that convo for once? 😄 🕷️ 🏀

I think what we need to remember is legit NBA prospect doesn't mean he has to be a top 10 or top 15 pick and be a future superstar. The NBA draft has 2 rounds, and I think he has a great chance to be drafted.

But, let's talk about our guys. Tyler was outstanding, and how huge was Wilson? Not only did he play great defense, but he scored 7 1st half points when we only had 28 as a team.

Last edited:
I think we understand that..making the league is making the league...superstar or role player. Lots of guys get drafted then are relegated to the G league. If the kid makes it great...my point was from the beginning that our guys played great defense on him and made him look like an average college player when all was talked about is how he will be the best guard/player we will see. It was an opinion just like everyone else on the board, but what Zay and Dji defensively for this game was shut him down and as the kids say we call that "facts". 😄 🕷️ 🏀

I think we understand that..making the league is making the league...superstar or role player. Lots of guys get drafted then are relegated to the G league. If the kid makes it great...my point was from the beginning that our guys played great defense on him and made him look like an average college player when all was talked about is how he will be the best guard/player we will see. It was an opinion just like everyone else on the board, but what Zay and Dji defensively for this game was shut him down and as the kids say we call that "facts". 😄 🕷️ 🏀
Both are strong defenders. They will be elite players in the A-10. Great things are expected of them, as they carry this team next year and beyond. Several times we saw next year's team on the floor. It was impressive.

By the way, Dareon Seabron at NC State is going to be far and away the best player we play in the regular season.

By the way, Dareon Seabron at NC State is going to be far and away the best player we play in the regular season.
Hard not to agree...he gives me TJ Warren vibes but can't shoot as well as TJ. Def going to be a lot to handle on the 17th. We need to beat them, lots of guys on that team that we played with and train with. 😃 and I hate the wuffies as a program😂

Reactions: kneepadmckinney
One year anniversary of Gilly breaking the steals record .. it was a long, cold, solo trip to Waterloo, IA but one I will never regret signing up for. It was made even more special that his family was present and sitting very close behind the bench near me.

Last edited:
And here I was thinking we had already played N. Iowa this year :). Good stuff with Gilly. As bad as the last stretch has been this season, I was actually more disappointed with last season, until the end obviously. This season, I was not expecting Mooney to be able to put things together and come out firing so early in the season. But, now we are in a bit of a slide, so really going to need to pull things together fast to keep it positive and start making progress and winning some games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT