ADVERTISEMENT

More Spider Offspring...

kneepadmckinney

Team Manager
Jan 23, 2006
That late 80s, early 90s generation sure can produce 'em...

Congrats to James Wood, son of Spider great Kenny Wood, on getting drafted in the 2nd round of the MLB draft by the Padres today.

https://sagharborexpress.com/james-...enny-wood-makes-his-mark-on-baseball-diamond/

From MLB.com:

Wood entered the summer as a relatively under-the-radar athletic outfielder who had moved from his home in Maryland to attend IMG Academy to focus on baseball. The former two-sport standout (basketball) had as strong of a summer as just about any high schooler on the showcase circuit, putting him firmly on the radar as perhaps the Florida Draft prospect with the highest upside, though some struggles at the plate this spring hurt his stock a little. Hailing from an athletic family -- Wood's father played basketball professionally in Europe and his sister plays hoops at Northwestern University -- Wood is a veritable toolshed and showed at various events an ability to use all of them against good competition. The 6-foot-6, 230-pound left-handed hitter has tremendous raw power that showed up consistently in batting practice, with glimpses of it in games. Right now, it's more of a handsy swing and he should tap into that pop more as he learns to use his lower half better. That will allow him to stay back longer on soft stuff, with his ability to adjust to that a big factor in him reaching his power potential, which could be hitting 25-30 homers annually. Wood clocked plus run times in 60-yard dashes over the summer and is better once he gets going. He's shown the ability to cover a lot of ground smoothly in center field with an outstanding arm that would work in right field should he outgrow center. He's committed to attend Mississippi State, but while he did seem lost at times offensively this spring, it looks like he still could go early enough to never set foot on campus.

Kenny and Paula,both UR alumns,hit a home run with all their children.Kayla went to ND.Sydney is a St John’s College(DC) HS graduate and starts for Northwestern(‘22).twitter.com/sydwood_?s=11 Young James was down here at IMG and likely will be signing for a nice bonus.

Young James even at age 6 was a big kid and had a huge appetite.He cleaned us out for a dinner cookout one night in Rehoboth Beach some 12 years ago.Nice kid.Great family.

Did we recruit Sydney for Bball?I doubt it.

Last edited:
Looks like Sydney is interested in broadcast journalism. Not that it couldn’t be done at UR, but Medill’s one of the best journalism schools in the country.

Last edited:
Reactions: plydogg
Looks like Sydney is interested in broadcast journalism. Not that it couldn’t be done at UR, but Medlin’s one of the best journalism schools in the country.
Has nothing to do with recruiting a 17 yo from Olney who attended a primer HS basketball school in St John’s DC whose both parents went to UR.Most Kids select majors after 2 years not when they’re 17 yo ballers.If her heart was really set on broadcast journalism (at age 17) which I very seriously doubt, I would have recommended to Kenny that Sydney attend the USC Annenberg School.Better sports,more exposure in that field.

Last edited:
James Wood is a key component of the apparent trade between the Padres and Nats for Juan Soto:
6'7" 240 lb outfielder. hit .372 as an 18 year old in rookie ball last year, .337 in A ball as a 19 year old this season. could be the next Aaron Judge.

Reactions: spider23
6'7" 240 lb outfielder. hit .372 as an 18 year old in rookie ball last year, .337 in A ball as a 19 year old this season. could be the next Aaron Judge.

Soto is the actual Juan Soto. 23 year old in MLB. Top 20 in OPS all time. Love Kenny and the spider connection but still shocked the Nats went through with it even after all the rumors.

Soto is very good, but he's also hitting .246 for a last-place team that doesn't draw any fans. Why would they pay $500M for more of that? Baseball is a team sport, and they need a lot more than just Soto. They got a massive haul in this deal, IMO. And Soto is a great fit on a winning team like SD where he can walk 150 times a year and have other guys drive him in. Walking a lot in DC does nothing to help them win.

Last edited:
Soto is very good, but he's also hitting .246 for a last-place team that doesn't draw any fans. Why would they pay $500M for more of that? Baseball is a team sport, and they need a lot more than just Soto. They got a massive haul in this deal, IMO. And Soto is a great fit on a winning team like SD where he can walk 150 times a year and have other guys drive him in. Walking a lot in DC does nothing to help them win.

.246 is an anomaly if u look at his career and his OPS remains great. The Nats really got hurt by the Covid year where they couldn't build off the 2019 World Series with fans, $$ etc. It hurt them more than anyone in MLB imo, think it led to this in many ways.

But there is no guarantee with rebuilds, it is far from a guarantee. Seems lot of mlb teams have been rebuilding for a long time. I agree baseball is a team sport, aren't they all team sports except for the individual ones? You need more than a superstar but that isn't specific to baseball. But fans like to come see superstars. & I'd say the odds to build around Soto and improve were greater than trading him. That will obv have to play out to judge. The problem in DC is ownership, the new owners once it was sold should have opportunity to make offer to sign him.

Yeah, it may be an anomaly for Soto, but people are comparing him to the greatest players ever and demanding he be treated that way...Well, none of them ever hit .246 in their fourth or fifth seasons. Look at Pujols, Trout, Cabrera, Aaron, etc. Those guys were dominant every year and got a ton of hits. Soto walks a ton and hits some homers, so his OBP and OPS are high. Great. That works on a team with a lot of other good players, but it does nothing for the Nats. Soto is also only average defensively and not a great baserunner. So you are paying almost exclusively for his bat, which isn't living up to standards. Judge has more than twice as many homers as Soto this year...if Soto is worth $500M, Judge must be worth $1 billion.

And I just don't think you could start a rebuild by paying Soto all that money and THEN having to shell out a ton more to attract other talent. Their farm system basically sucked before this trade, so by the time they could have developed anyone on their own, Soto would be 4 or 5 years older anyway.

The NBA is a league where you can get a couple superstars and be great. In the NFL, you can get a great QB and be very good. In baseball, man...not even close. Trout and Ohtani on the Angels TOGETHER all these years and they can't even finish with a winning record. I think the Nats changed their franchise for the better today in a big way. I wish my team had been able to make this trade.

Reactions: GKiller
Yeah, it may be an anomaly for Soto, but people are comparing him to the greatest players ever and demanding he be treated that way...Well, none of them ever hit .246 in their fourth or fifth seasons. Look at Pujols, Trout, Cabrera, Aaron, etc. Those guys were dominant every year and got a ton of hits. Soto walks a ton and hits some homers, so his OBP and OPS are high. Great. That works on a team with a lot of other good players, but it does nothing for the Nats. Soto is also only average defensively and not a great baserunner. So you are paying almost exclusively for his bat, which isn't living up to standards. Judge has more than twice as many homers as Soto this year...if Soto is worth $500M, Judge must be worth $1 billion.

And I just don't think you could start a rebuild by paying Soto all that money and THEN having to shell out a ton more to attract other talent. Their farm system basically sucked before this trade, so by the time they could have developed anyone on their own, Soto would be 4 or 5 years older anyway.

The NBA is a league where you can get a couple superstars and be great. In the NFL, you can get a great QB and be very good. In baseball, man...not even close. Trout and Ohtani on the Angels TOGETHER all these years and they can't even finish with a winning record. I think the Nats changed their franchise for the better today in a big way. I wish my team had been able to make this trade.

they dumped another great player Trea Turner that could have helped Soto. The Nats were old otherwise when they won & agree farm system was bad so a dip was coming for sure but he’s still 23 & under team control thru 2024 there was time to have new owners make that call imo. Plus after Harper left u almost had obligation to sign Soto. Granted both have Scott Boras as agent.

but...u r making me feel a little better about the trade I’ll give u that...so thanks.

I get why Nats' fans are probably upset, seeing one star after another leave. But the reality is that in baseball, 99% of the time it's a terrible idea to sign one dude to a huge contract – unless you already have a bunch of high-level pieces around him. Harper has been great for the Phillies...but they have won nothing. Rendon went to the Angels, got hurt and has been a giant waste. Strasburg has been injured ever since he signed his deal. Turner will get paid next year in a big way. If it's from the Dodgers, it may work out because they are already great. If it's with someone like the Pirates (obviously it won't be), it would be stupid because they'd still suck.

but has trading a baseball star for a bunch of high level prospects ever worked out?
feels like prospects flame out too often.

Reactions: GKiller
You're not wrong. I would have tried to make it a three-team trade if I were the Nats...One team gets Soto, I get the top 2 prospects from each team and the third team gets a good major league player and another prospect or two. Rarely do all prospects from one team end up being great.

Bottom line is that if Soto wanted $500M, the Nats' options were trade him now, just keep him the next couple years and continue to be bad, then lose him for nothing or trade him for a lot less at some point, or sign him to an absurd deal once the new ownership group was in place. I think they made the best choice they had.

but has trading a baseball star for a bunch of high level prospects ever worked out?
feels like prospects flame out too often.

Agree. I’m sure there’s examples of it working, but doesn’t feel like many. Less examples of it involving a 23 year old star.

As a Phillies fan, I am so happy to see Soto traded. A few years ago, I thought Washington would dominate the NL for years to come. Now it seems like they are run by Daniel Snyder. Perhaps in another 6 years they will be good again.

I had no idea James Wood was the son of a Spider. Top 5 prospect in baseball, looks like he’s going to be a stud

Reactions: urfan1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT