ADVERTISEMENT

Mooney to be UR coach next 15 to 20 years

He said "many people on this board". He's not wrong. Far from it. Just read any thread on here and you will see how right he is. We have won 4 of 5, we are 4-2 IC, we have a huge game tomorrow against VCU, and just read our pathetic excuse for a message board. Read any thread. Just look at the first post of the VCU game thread. Your "we" obviously does not speak for everyone. "We" shouldn't have "fans" post on here that they hope we lose to VCU by 50. But, it is what it is here, and that is the type fan that gets praised on here.

And, most of you were proven wrong last year and that lasted all of about 3 games into this season before 90+% of this board became a daily negative, whine and complain show again.
Many people think the basketball program can be a much more consistent winner than it is now. It really is that simple. Last years two week run was great but that is not a sustainable way to get to the NCAA tournament. At the end of the day, that is what matters. So I'll run these numbers by you one more time. 8-22 against VCU, 0 for 17 A10 regular season championships, 2 for 17 A10 tournament titles, 3 for 17 NCAA, 55% winning percentage. You see, we know who CM is and we don't win enough to be a serious basketball program under him. Sadly, I think a few posters on here are bigger fans of the coach than the program. That said, I always want the Spiders to win and hope we crush VCU tonight even though history tells us we don't beat them very often under this coach.

Last edited by a moderator:
Notre Dame job will be open at the end of the year.....UR makes another A10 tourney title run, heads to NCAA for back to back years and Notre Dame makes an offer he can't refuse?

Reactions: urfan1
He won't leave. Don't get your hopes up. If we win a game in the NCAA this year, I will flip over to pro Mooney team and like all 4700 and 80's fan posts - and start attacking all the anti Mooney. At least until the first loss next year. For now, we are stuck for some time. And like I have stated on here many times, I have little trust in Hardt to make a good hire.

He won't leave. Don't get your hopes up. If we win a game in the NCAA this year, I will flip over to pro Mooney team and like all 4700 and 80's fan posts - and start attacking all the anti Mooney. At least until the first loss next year. For now, we are stuck for some time. And like I have stated on here many times, I have little trust in Hardt to make a good hire.
I don't see him leaving either, BUT - if the Spiders make another miraculous run - he will get mentioned. And he is smart enough to know - if he turns them down this time, that is likely the signal that he is never leaving as teams will stop calling. He is 50 years old, has likely made enough at UR to not work the rest of his life and live comfortably - so taking the risk at a higher profile job - even if it doesn't work out and he gets fired in 3-4 years, will leave him at age 54-55 and a ton of cash in the bank. So if he were to take the risk - this might be the window of time to do it.

BUT - this all hinges on another NCAA appearance, something I see as very unlikely this year.

Reactions: SpiderK
I don't see him leaving either, BUT - if the Spiders make another miraculous run - he will get mentioned. And he is smart enough to know - if he turns them down this time, that is likely the signal that he is never leaving as teams will stop calling. He is 50 years old, has likely made enough at UR to not work the rest of his life and live comfortably - so taking the risk at a higher profile job - even if it doesn't work out and he gets fired in 3-4 years, will leave him at age 54-55 and a ton of cash in the bank. So if he were to take the risk - this might be the window of time to do it.

BUT - this all hinges on another NCAA appearance, something I see as very unlikely this year.
Wouldn’t you think it would almost have to be a north east school that would take Mooney? ACC and SEC wouldn’t want him. Maybe Big East or a school that needed cleaning up for a few years after a scandal.

Notre Dame job will be open at the end of the year.....UR makes another A10 tourney title run, heads to NCAA for back to back years and Notre Dame makes an offer he can't refuse?
So...
Mooney to ND...
Which means Pat Kelsey doesn't get that job, and so he takes this one? 🤣

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Mooney isn't leaving...ND won't chase him....he's a UR lifer!
He’s going nowhere. Great paycheck and practicality shows that performance standard for retention long term is no more than minimal league championships, minimal NCAA appearances, and winning pct at 55 pct. Who in their right mind would leave that?

Reactions: bullfrog91
He’s going nowhere. Great paycheck and practicality shows that performance standard for retention long term is no more than minimal league championships, minimal NCAA appearances, and winning pct at 55 pct. Who in their right mind would leave that?
Right, like I have mentioned a few times on here, I ran into a former UVA assistant (and short time D1 Head Coach) at an AAU tourney 10 years ago. Guy said Mooney had the best job in America, no pressure from admin and over a million a year. Guy said Mooney won the freaking lottery.

VCU only counts as one loss. Still 4-3 in conference play and good chance for top 4 finish. Good time to be a Spider.

giphy.gif

VCU only counts as one loss. Still 4-3 in conference play and good chance for top 4 finish. Good time to be a Spider.

In the most technical way but come on it counts for more. We laid an egg on national TV in front of sold out crowd. Mentally it can hard to gear back up from rivalry games too. Tho we didn’t use up any energy tonight so maybe that part is not relevant this time.

Right, like I have mentioned a few times on here, I ran into a former UVA assistant (and short time D1 Head Coach) at an AAU tourney 10 years ago. Guy said Mooney had the best job in America, no pressure from admin and over a million a year. Guy said Mooney won the freaking lottery.
And we keep buying the tickets to pay for it.

I would be very happy if Mooney is our coach for the next 15-20 years. I think our program is in great shape right now, and will continue to be going forward.

aged like milk

although 4700 pom poms won't see this as he is locked down in the bunker after the latest beatdown from our "rival"

And we keep buying the tickets to pay for it.
Quit buying tickets after JMU wiped their feet on Dick Tarrant court after the dedication. Quit giving money too. I won't do either again until Mooney is gone. I know it's meaningless to UR administration but I feel good about it and can bitch about the state of the program with a clear conscience. No hypocrite here.

We could have used some length/pressing of Bailey way before he got thrown in the game with like 4 mins left when it was already over. But why try and stop an opponent’s game changing run when you can just let it play out and pray some shots fall for us?

Guys, he's never leaving. Ever.
Ken Niumatalol, one mote games at Navy in the history of the program. Included are several bowl wins and wins over Notre Dame and of course Army.
This year he lost to Army, and everything he’d done for the program was forgotten and he was fired by
an idiot A,D.
So, don’t think that losses to VCU go unrecognized by friends and Alumni.

There's no way in hell any ACC program thinks he'd be a good coach in that conference. He'd get smacked

It is amazing that this team, which many people on this board are constantly criticizing are 4-2 in the A10 and tied for 4th place. Once we get past VCU and Dayton, it should be clear sailing the rest of the year. Great time to be a Spider!
there's no such thing as "clear sailing" when talking about Richmond hoops

One thing about the fan base is being content with being mediocre and second best in the city. This program can do so much better its insane. Instead we fell into the Mooney cycle (which is make the tourney every 10 years). IMO he needs to leave ASAP, but in reality, he isn't going anywhere. So keep enjoying the middle of the pack a10 seasons with glimmers of false hope to eventually be let down by Mooney in the end

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Ken Niumatalol, one mote games at Navy in the history of the program. Included are several bowl wins and wins over Notre Dame and of course Army.
This year he lost to Army, and everything he’d done for the program was forgotten and he was fired by
an idiot A,D.
So, don’t think that losses to VCU go unrecognized by friends and Alumni.
Navy was 3-7, 4-8 and 4-8 its last three seasons and had lost to Army 5 of the last 7 times they played. That's why Niumatalolo was fired.

One of the Mooney Truthers always talks about how great we've been the last 3 years. I added in the prior two years for a 5 year look-back period. Amazing that we were 87-69 for get this... 55.8 pct winning pct.

Wow - that number sounds familiar. There's an expression "water seeks its own level". It seems to ring true.

Navy was 3-7, 4-8 and 4-8 its last three seasons and had lost to Army 5 of the last 7 times they played. That's why Niumatalolo was fired.
Well, you better tell all the Navy fans why such a good coach, with 18 returning starters next year , saddled with underclassmen this year because of Covid, and with a stellar performance for years prior, being the winningest coach in
Navy history, that you agree with the most arrogant, egotistical A.D. in the college game today.
Niumatalolo went to 14 bowl games , 10 Commander In Chief Trophies, and a 13-3 record against Army.
As they say-look it up!

Last edited:
Annap - not sure the connection here. If Mooney had made 14 NCAA appearances I’d be fine with him here. However, he’s made 3. Are you defending Mooney or simply pointing out that Navy’s AD is the opposite of Hardt (in an equally bad manner)?

Annap - not sure the connection here. If Mooney had made 14 NCAA appearances I’d be fine with him here. However, he’s made 3. Are you defending Mooney or simply pointing out that Navy’s AD is the opposite of Hardt (in an equally bad manner)?
LOL maybe.
My point was to those that think Mooney is here for life. You’re right too. Mooney should have been to at least
several more Big Dances.
The coach at Navy was and is a very well respected man- as is Mooney. But, the past three years gave the A.D. a
chance to let him go. Nothing worse than a football coach more respected and more liked than the egomaniacal A.D.
I don’t see Hardt to be that way.

Reactions: DTSpider
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT