ADVERTISEMENT

Mikkel Tyne - 2023 Signee

I think he was a 2023 who recently reclassified to 2024, but apparently since we have a spot now, it worked out to take him this year.

Welcome to Mikkel!

JOC saying "more to come"...I wonder if that means we have two more scholarships, so obviously we need to fill them, or that he knows about some forthcoming announcement?

Reactions: nathanw19
Based on evaluations I see, Mikkel seems to be strong, good shooter and finisher, solid distributor, and good handle. Biggest knock seems to be his small size that can cause difficulty for him matched up against bigger guys, but we're obviously not unfamiliar with that.

Still confused by his classing, but it looks like he was originally a 2024 who reclassified up to 2023 at some point, but it's unclear when as I don't see an announcement from him or news mentions about it. And different tweets, articles, and databases updated him to 2023 at different times, if at all.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Another unexpected roster addition. Would have liked this to be a young big as opposed to another young guard, but I'm happy to fill the open scholarship with a quality player. Maybe this shows that we're going to embrace more of a "rebuild" with a youth movement on the roster instead of grabbing more transfers? Smith, Tanner, Tyne, and Graham could be a pretty good class, but that's assuming we can keep them out of the portal after a year or two.

JOC's "more to come" article...not much to report from it. Very clearly still saying Graham is a walk-on.

Clearly need some wing players at this point, but we have 3 open roster spots, and with King only hear for 1 year, Hunt/Dji for 2 more, another PG certainly can be seen as a need area. Yes, he is small, but that is what we specialize in. Has a build more like Isiah Wilson than Gilyard. Western Kentucky and Drake are both really good offers as well.

My concern is that he was not a big scorer in high school and one would think your elite guards would be putting up more than 13 points per game at the high school level. Realize he played on a team with other really good players.

Reactions: gospidersgo
nice! really high release point from outside. makes sense at his height, but Gilly didn't shoot that way. just stepped back further. shooting better from 3 than from 2 with Team Melo.

looks like a high quality PG undervalued due to his size. we've had one or two of those and done well.

So now the starting line up is…
Tyne, King, Smith, Hunt, and Graham?

O Canada. Welcome Mikkel Tyne. We've done well with our friends to the North. So I like that. And we certainly need to fill spots. Seems like a solid player. can just be hard to predict how they turn out when we only see highlights.

Interesting to me is another 6'0 or smaller guard. That's 4/11 on roster. Getting good players is the biggest key but we desperately need a Forward. & crossed my mind that maybe we're hedging on Trevor Smith. That or get ready for possibly a tiny future backcourt which is not ideal defensively.

I do continue to wish we had been more aggressive in Fall recruiting even b4 Reed decommitted. We had a couple good A10 wings that felt very feasible, a number of ppl said no can't over sign which just felt like a terrible strategy in 2022 & then here we were with 3 open ships in June 2023.

Reactions: gospidersgo
O Canada. Welcome Mikkel Tyne. We've done well with our friends to the North. So I like that. And we certainly need to fill spots. Seems like a solid player. can just be hard to predict how they turn out when we only see highlights.

Interesting to me is another 6'0 or smaller guard. That's 4/11 on roster. Getting good players is the biggest key but we desperately need a Forward. & crossed my mind that maybe we're hedging on Trevor Smith. That or get ready for possibly a tiny future backcourt which is not ideal defensively.

I do continue to wish we had been more aggressive in Fall recruiting even b4 Reed decommitted. We had a couple good A10 wings that felt very feasible, a number of ppl said no can't over sign which just felt like a terrible strategy in 2022 & then here we were with 3 open ships in June 2023.
You covered all the bases, now take 3 big breaths!

The 4 of 11 is what I was eluding to. Although every pick up seems like a great player, it was concerning to me. Perhaps because I was looking at all four as 4 year players which they are not.

Also With Graham having 7 scholarship offers I am saying 4 of 12 out of 14…

He looks like a pretty good pickup, and I suspect has more upside than what was remaining in the portal.
Very valid take. Next year is shaping up to be another lost year, so might as well try to build towards the future. Mooney has no pressure to win now, he can coast off his NCAA win last year for another couple seasons before feeling any real pressure.

I like the looks of this guy. Very good pick up. I also like that Mooney is not relying solely on Trevor Smith to turn out to be "the guy". I really think that happened with Jaynel. And when it did not work out our season was torpedoed. Too many times in the past we get in positions where we have an obvious or multiple holes in the roster and it bites us. I am worried having some strength and athleticism in the interior is going to be our hole this year. I know the mooney guys are going to point out that this is not required in today's game, you just need to be able to shoot. But that is not the case, you need to be able to have strong and athletic guys to rebound and play defense.

I like the looks of this guy. Very good pick up. I also like that Mooney is not relying solely on Trevor Smith to turn out to be "the guy". I really think that happened with Jaynel. And when it did not work out our season was torpedoed. Too many times in the past we get in positions where we have an obvious or multiple holes in the roster and it bites us. I am worried having some strength and athleticism in the interior is going to be our hole this year. I know the mooney guys are going to point out that this is not required in today's game, you just need to be able to shoot. But that is not the case, you need to be able to have strong and athletic guys to rebound and play defense.
agreed, but while the offseason is late ... it isn't over. we do need a little more size at least for depth.

I am a big guards guy and 3 point guy, but I would never turn down a strong, athletic guy inside. I can agree it would be good to add an athletic guy who could be a good rebounder and defender, but it seems like there are just fewer and fewer of those guys out there now. Kids grow up now wanting to be shooters and scorers, and that is usually what they work on in AAU.

Reactions: regatw
I am a big guards guy and 3 point guy, but I would never turn down a strong, athletic guy inside. I can agree it would be good to add an athletic guy who could be a good rebounder and defender, but it seems like there are just fewer and fewer of those guys out there now. Kids grow up now wanting to be shooters and scorers, and that is usually what they work on in AAU.
I don't think we desire to have a bruiser inside, that has never been Mooney's game. But, you need strong athletic guys to rebound and for interior defense or you are going to get killed in that areas. I think that is the concern for next year in particular, we have a lot of guards and are very much lacking with strong interior players.

I don't care how well your guards shoot, if you can't rebound the basketball and allow other teams easy access to interior scoring, you aren't going to shoot well enough to overcome that.

I don't think we desire to have a bruiser inside, that has never been Mooney's game. But, you need strong athletic guys to rebound and for interior defense or you are going to get killed in that areas. I think that is the concern for next year in particular, we have a lot of guards and are very much lacking with strong interior players.

I don't care how well your guards shoot, if you can't rebound the basketball and allow other teams easy access to interior scoring, you aren't going to shoot well enough to overcome that.
“I don't care how well your guards shoot, if you can't rebound the basketball and allow other teams easy access to interior scoring, you aren't going to shoot well enough to overcome that.”

Response - There are 2 issues. One you addressed in the paragraph above when you stated “if you can’t rebound”. The other is our age old ongoing problem of not emphasizing rebounding and Mooney’s rebounding philosophy. I have a real problem with that.

we could overcome the rebounding if we shot the 3 ball better. That's why we need to focus rebounding more because we can't seem to solve the 3 pt shooting. With system we run & level of athlete we get under Moon we have to shoot it, or change the system/philosophy. We're supposed to have shooters at every position, we now have 2 centers that can't/don't. More than that we seem to recruit way too many shooters with bad fundamentals or we make them worse while they're here - Deion, Cayo, Burton declined. Too many guards that couldn't shoot - Fore, Buck, Nelson - tho I expect Nelson will probably improve. But look at current guys - Dji, Hunt, Bigs - they have poor shooting form imo. Hunt's looked wonky from tape. Bigs looks good at line & has the form when set, but outside FTs he's leaning or falling away consistently. Beilein drilled and drilled and drilled on shooting. I don't know how Moon practices or teaches but we don't get or develop enough shooters imo, which is just weird for our style and how many kids shoot the 3. We really have 2 shooters - Roche and King. Possibly Noyes but the sample size is so small.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT