ADVERTISEMENT

Men's Soccer and T&F Axed to Add Lacrosse

SFspidur

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
Just thought we needed another thread on this...can never have too many.

Very disappointed

My younger brother played on the second men's varsity soccer team at UR. Coincidentlaly, a university fund-raiser called today. I asked to be added to the do-not-call list. I will still give in the future, but donations may be changed from the Spider Club to elsewhere. Also, any chance of my son ever attending UR just evaporated, as he wants to attend a college with a men's soccer program.

Title IX is a straw man here. LAX could have been added, the other sports maintained, and we would not have been out of compliance. Propostionality is just one of three ways to be in compliance; we would still be in compliance even with a new men's sport because we have ample and well-funded women's programs and are meeting the sports need of our female students. There has been no hue and cry whatsoever to add another women's sport like softball or volleyball.

I am very, very disappointed.

The third prong of compliance (meeting the demand of the underrepresented sex) is rarely relied upon, as it's a subjective criterion and no school wants to risk a ruling against it on those grounds. Just adding a men's program with out balancing that out with a women's addition would indeed cause Title IX problems for UR.

A couple of years ago when the lax rumblings started, UR was looking at moving both men's lax and women's crew up from club to varsity club with an eye toward full varsity status down the road. Somewhere along the road women's crew got dropped from those plans, and I wondered how UR planned to address gender balance issues with lax continuing down the path. Now we know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT