ADVERTISEMENT

Let the Games Begin- Utah State

Fair but Goose really helps this team with his overall game. I’m looking forward to him coming back.
Totally agree with you Dad and this is something that never happens with a Mooney team. If you can execute the offense, then you are going to play. If you are a turnstile on defense, no problem.

All that being said, it does seem to me that Mooney is trying some new things this year and seems to be looking for the right combinations for certain situations. As others have said, he is terrible at making adjustments in game, so he is going to make all sorts of mistakes in these early games to find these lineups. One thing is certain, Nick Sherod cannot play the 2 spot. He doesn’t have his legs yet. I think Mooney knows this as well because Nick is seeing the bench early. But Mooney is loyal and trusts Nick and so he keeps putting him back in, even though it is detrimental, Hopefully Nick gets back to some version of his former self, but he isn’t remotely close at this point in the season.

I have seen promising signs from Wilson and Crabtree, so hopefully they are able to work out the kinks and contribute more. I think they have what we need on the defensive end, but need to contribute just a little more on the offensive end. Not that the team needs them to play a major role, just that that have to contribute something so that defenders can’t cheat.

Matt Grace is playing great on the Matt Grace scale, but a great defender he is not. He does seem to be playing a bit tougher though, so that’s positive,

The biggest disappointment is easily Cayo. All his improvement on the free throw line seems to have disappeared, he is not playing tough, and he is getting blown by on defense. My hope is Nick gets his legs back and he plays down low on defense and is used to spread the floor on offense. We know Mooney doesn’t coach offensive rebounding, so having Nick instead of Cayo should work. We just need to hope that Nick can make some strides physically.
Loyalty could be the death of a successful season imo.

The whole team played poor help defense. Way too many drives thru lane because we left our feet or did not slide our
feet. We had little answer for their big lineup and we got a good dose of our own medicine with the back door cuts.

So by your logic…Zay, Connor and even Dji when he gets a chance aren’t good defenders?…got it 😂 And if you think Goose will be the cure all then I can’t talk hoops with anyone that irrational line of thought. Defense is bad that doesn’t mean we don’t have defenders.
Our coaches will figure it out. I have confidence in this team (corrected spelling).

Last edited:
I’m sorry, but Sherod just can’t start on this team. He’s not shooting the ball well. He’s slow as all get out. He’s an absolute liability on defense. I understand that he’s a grad student and has paid his dues, but he’s clearly not ready for this yet.

My observations:
1. Grant seemed largely unstoppable
2. FT shooting has regressed quite a bit
3. We shoot too many fadeaway jumpers, and miss most of them
4. Our defense is fairly easily picked apart (inside and outside) because we leave men open regularly
5. Nick isn’t ready

We shot the lights out in the 1st half with 9-3’s.But we only led by 6 at halftime.Trouble.Odum knew we wouldn’t have a similar 2nd half.USU outscored us in the paint 38-22 with some very easy buckets close in.USU shot 17-22 2’s in the 2nd half.Which means they had easy access to the hoop.Gilyard didn’t penetrate on our offensive inside for his usual easy dishes nor did any of our other guards.Trouble.Their guards scored inside with regularity.We missed Blake Francis tonite, big time.We shot 33% from 2’s and 3’s in the 2nd half.Experience is not a substitute for game prep and execution.Ask Russ on the football side who has a ton of experience along with another bunch of mediocrity.

Last edited:
They scouted Cayo very well. He only had 3 points. He averaged 12 points per game last year. We could have used another 5 from Burton. We are going to need Bailey, Wilson and Crabtree to step up. I would have doubled Bean with a combination of Burton, Bailey and Wilson. Mooney used his 2nd half timeouts to stem their runs. It left us short at the end. Beans 30 hurt us.

Looks like Odell Beckham Jr's dad showed up on the message board tonight. Criticizing coaching and liking posts that criticize our players? I didn't see that coming when I just read all the other predictable posts. That's pretty disappointing, and never a good look.

Looks like Odell Beckham Jr's dad showed up on the message board tonight. Criticizing coaching and liking posts that criticize our players? I didn't see that coming when I just read all the other predictable posts. That's pretty disappointing, and never a good look.

Believe it or not, we don’t praise mediocrity. Mooney does, and so does the Athletic Department. But we don’t have to pretend we didn’t just see someone take a crap in an ice cone and sell it to us as ice cream.

If I’m looking to have everything being rosy and
Happy after a ***** I’ll go watch a U5 soccer game where the score doesn’t matter and everyone is there having fun

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SpiderGuy
Wasn't talking about you, ply. Or, most of the others on here. Message boards are negative, and overboard negative after a loss. I get it. I just wasn't expecting OBJ's dad to join in. That is what is very disappointing to me.

Wasn't talking about you, ply. Or, most of the others on here. Message boards are negative, and overboard negative after a loss. I get it. I just wasn't expecting OBJ's dad to join in. That is what is very disappointing to me.
Don’t think we have to take personal shots at individual posters. You’ve championed this in the past and I would promote you to continue championing it.

The person you’re referring to is a valued member of this board, and a welcomed insight into the team.

Yes, I agree and that is why I am so disappointed with what I saw. Liking a very negative post about Nick? And more than once? Liking it? Commenting negatively about Goose? Liking a post and even posting that Wilson isn't good offensively and Tyler is bad defensively? Liking a post that gets on Nate's FT shooting? Liking a post that says our coach should be fired? That just doesn't happen on message boards. Well, I guess now it does, but good luck finding a few other examples on other boards where this happened. That is a great way to destroy team chemistry. Ask the Browns. Not that anyone cares, but man did I ever lose a lot respect for someone tonight.

Last edited:
we’ve looked exactly like all of last year.

Starting w the jmu scrimmage that should have been a 5 alarm fire warning.

instead of the socks UR offered me for $, I think they should offer a pillow.

Reactions: 8legs1dream

it’s the only excitement so far of the season.

True but Isaiah doesn’t need to lead us to close end of game wins, he does his thing on D. He does have to find a way to be threatening on O beyond just penetrating and then doing a desperate kickout. Got to find a way to get the angle or develop the tear drop or something.
He does if he is in the game at the end of a close game (like he was last night).

Yes, I agree and that is why I am so disappointed with what I saw. Liking a very negative post about Nick? And more than once? Liking it? Commenting negatively about Goose? Liking a post and even posting that Wilson isn't good offensively and Tyler is bad defensively? Liking a post that gets on Nate's FT shooting? Liking a post that says our coach should be fired? That just doesn't happen on message boards. Well, I guess now it does, but good luck finding a few other examples on other boards where this happened. That is a great way to destroy team chemistry. Ask the Browns. Not that anyone cares, but man did I ever lose a lot respect for someone tonight.
Stop deflecting. We get worked by USU and you post about another poster? You are even having a hard time defending this clown show at this point, which says a lot.

Nothing he said is false or overly harsh. I appreciate his perspective as we all share a passion for this team and want them to do well, but we read this board for insight and information.

Stop being part of cancel culture.

Nothing he said is false or overly harsh. I appreciate his perspective as we all share a passion for this team and want them to do well, but we read this board for insight and information.

Stop being part of cancel culture.
Yes, I would file this under: "the truth hurts".

I would imagine it is very painful to watch Mooney's ineptitude from up close and have to live with it. I feel like a bad fan sometimes because I start to get giddy when the other team is exposing us and Mooney is on the sideline whining but doing nothing to impact the game.

I didn't see anything attacking Nick personally. The only thing I saw was criticizing Mooney for playing him because he's clearly not ready to play at a high level. Criticism where it belongs, on the coach.

You're using drama with professional football players as an example for us to toe the line on this message board and sing Kumbaya? We're a small message board of a team in a non-power 6 conference. We're not influencers by any means.

He does if he is in the game at the end of a close game (like he was last night).
Lead us? I’d expect that to come from jake or grant, not Isaiah. I think I get your point, maybe just don’t think you need five leaders on the floor there.

Reasoned discussion is best.

It seemed that they scouted our team very well and their coach made outstanding in game adjustments. They forced our top 3 players- Gilyard, Burton and Golden to beat us. They scouted the tendencies of our other players and made in game adjustments.

Reactions: nathanw19
Reasoned discussion is best.

It seemed that they scouted our team very well and their coach made outstanding in game adjustments. They forced our top 3 players- Gilyard, Burton and Golden to beat us. They scouted the tendencies of our other players and made in game adjustments.
So is the intimation that they won because they scouted us better than we did them? So their coaching and preparation were better than ours was?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT