ADVERTISEMENT

Let the Games Begin- Utah State

Gallipoli

Graduate Assistant
Aug 20, 2017
The Doghouse
Our Spiders pay Utah State for our second game of the season in Annapolis Maryland, a neutral site. Utah State is projected to be a tournament team this year. They are picked to win the Mountain West this year. They have one 7 footer and one who is 6'11. This could create matchup problems for us. Their coach is Ryan Odom, whose UMBC team beat UVA.
They will be well coached and determined.

Our Spiders pay Utah State for our second game of the season in Annapolis Maryland, a neutral site. Utah State is projected to be a tournament team this year. They are picked to win the Mountain West this year. They have one 7 footer and one who is 6'11. This could create matchup problems for us. Their coach is Ryan Odom, whose UMBC team beat UVA.
They will be well coached and determined.

I’ll be going to this game. Our military academies are a special place and I cannot miss the opportunity to watch our spiders gain their first meaningful victory on their road to the final 4.

This will be the "Sky is falling" thread after we blow a 6 point lead with 8 minutes to go after not scoring a field goal in the final 8 minutes and lose by 12.
we looked tired. should have rested Golden and Gilyard more.

"Coach, why didn't you get our 19th and 20th guys in the game?"
CM: "Yeah, that's my fault. I've got to get them some time".

Just witnessed Utah St 2nd half losing as a big fav at home. Kind of played like UR but couldn't get the job done. UC Davis though isn't close to #342 at Kenny like NCC. Stats were 45% 2PT, 27% 3PT, and 61% FT with 16 T0. Didn't appear like an athletic squad and maybe letting these guys shoot 3PT won't lose it for the Spiders.

Here's the full Utah State - UC Davis game. From skimming through the game and their forums, seems like the scouting report is good and physical with one-on-one defense and on the offensive glass. From what I saw Utah State was good at contesting in the paint and made cuts tough, but they fouled a ton when guys had good position and gave up a bunch of free throws. UC Davis looked like they had chances on the outside and in the mid-range later on, so hopefully we shoot better

The offense is the issue with not much in the way of shot creators or knock-down shooters. Think I only saw a couple drives that looked smooth and worked out. A lot of stagnant offense and trying to set up threes that were either contested or not dropping.

Last edited:
And no, this is not last years Utah State. Gallipoli states expected NCAA team and picked to win MW. Have not seen one publication pick them to win MW, most pick Colorado State, and they seem to be a consensus 5th pick in conference, which is not NCAA. They are old like us, and new coach has brought in some transfers. This is a game that should be winnable. Guessing books will have us a 3 to 5 point favorite.

And no, this is not last years Utah State. Gallipoli states expected NCAA team and picked to win MW. Have not seen one publication pick them to win MW, most pick Colorado State, and they seem to be a consensus 5th pick in conference, which is not NCAA. They are old like us, and new coach has brought in some transfers. This is a game that should be winnable. Guessing books will have us a 3 to 5 point favorite.

This is correct. They lost their coach and their number one player. This is more or less a rebuilding year for them.

This will be a tough game for the good guys. It looks like the Spiders are favored by about 3. IMHO, Utah State will fare better this season than most think.

They have to fly across the country. We just have to drive a couple hours up the road. We have the video from their first game. We're healthy. What other potential excuses could stand in our way of an even playing field here?

Need this one. Let’s come out pissed off with lots of energy. Start pressing them if they get into any sort of rhythm from 3 or take a big lead. Mooney needs to be ready to use some early timeouts if that happens.

Looking for a big shooting night from Nick, a consistent effort from Burton, and Gilly and grant to do their thing. Mix in some hard fouls and defense from Sal and a few Grace 3s.

Reactions: nathanw19
Need this one. Let’s come out pissed off with lots of energy. Start pressing them if they get into any sort of rhythm from 3 or take a big lead. Mooney needs to be ready to use some early timeouts if that happens.

Looking for a big shooting night from Nick, a consistent effort from Burton, and Gilly and grant to do their thing. Mix in some hard fouls and defense from Sal and a few Grace 3s.
Sounds like a good recipe Sdogg. Not necessarily for this game, but would love to see a pressure lineup with Gilly, Zay and Dji with some 3/4 court pressure and traps. That lineup with Burton and Cayo for a few minutes a half should generate some turn overs.

Sounds like a good recipe Sdogg. Not necessarily for this game, but would love to see a pressure lineup with Gilly, Zay and Dji with some 3/4 court pressure and traps. That lineup with Burton and Cayo for a few minutes a half should generate some turn overs.
Yes sir, we need to spice things up once in a while. Would be on time tomorrow.

Reactions: localspider
Luv seeing Golden and Grace in at the same time.
Actually "golden grace" sounds like a religious honor. Let's start the Golden Grace Award to be given to the Tall Man of the Week....😊

• Haha
Reactions: Eight Legger
Really good teams do not come out flat and do not let up. I expect the Spiders to take it to them.
Call me crazy but I believe the same. I watched most of their second half the other night and then seeing RollSpiders post just don't as much talent as previous UtahSt teams. And by the way the line is -6.

They have to fly across the country. We just have to drive a couple hours up the road. We have the video from their first game. We're healthy. What other potential excuses could stand in our way of an even playing field here?
We’re already here. They posted photos of the team touring the Academy.

This website has the Spiders winning 74-71. They also note our decided advantage in turnovers.

TURNOVERS: The Richmond defense is likely to force a few takeaways on this end of the floor. Offensively, Utah State is a fairly average D1 team when it comes to ball-security. As for the opposition, the Richmond D is fairly aggressive and is certainly capable of coming away with their fair share of steals. They rate well in our analytics on this front, landing at #15 in the nation in potential quick points scored off steals and #29 in defensive field goal attempt rate.

Reactions: SpiderDogg
I think we win by 10 - I think with Utah coming cross country and our team getting a little wake up call in the first game - we get a lead, then give it up and then pull away at the end.

Nice overview video of yesterday's events including some comments from Grant.

Reactions: SpiderK
I hope we defend the 3 like we did in the 2nd half instead of the first.

I think the Aggies going 8-30 may have contributed to their loss.

Remember our trips to Annapolis to play Navy in baseball and eating in the dining hall watching the plebes eating a square meal. Real appreciation for what they go through.

Only a few minutes until tip, let’s go take it to the Aggies. Don’t take the foot of the pedal. Show them no mercy.

I’m feeling some more bench points today than the 7 we saw against NCCU.

GO SPIDERS!

Reactions: Gallipoli
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT