ADVERTISEMENT

Let the Games Begin- Utah State

Yes, I agree and that is why I am so disappointed with what I saw. Liking a very negative post about Nick? And more than once? Liking it? Commenting negatively about Goose? Liking a post and even posting that Wilson isn't good offensively and Tyler is bad defensively? Liking a post that gets on Nate's FT shooting? Liking a post that says our coach should be fired? That just doesn't happen on message boards. Well, I guess now it does, but good luck finding a few other examples on other boards where this happened. That is a great way to destroy team chemistry. Ask the Browns. Not that anyone cares, but man did I ever lose a lot respect for someone tonight.
I guess I’m OBJ’s dad…hey I’ve been called worse 😀 here’s what I said…”Zay can defend, Dji can defend and Crab has been solid. Nick is a liability right now, Tyler isn’t a great defender but this is all a want to thing. You have to want to defend.”
As far as liking a post that advocates for someone to be fired that is not why I liked it, nor do I believe Coach should be fired, so let’s clear that up now! But what I do have a right to do is give criticism. It’s sports, what did I say that was bashing players? All players are subject to it including my son. I have zero problems with taking/hearing criticism. Nothing I said was a personal attack. Go back and look at earlier things I’ve said about Nick. It wasn’t to trash him, it was MY opinion that he can’t play the 2 bc he CAN’T guard the 2, that is all, nothing more. We all coach from the couch/sidelines it’s human nature. I don’t attack young kids, adults etc. But there can be criticism laid at their feet. The problem is your assuming…about the like button. Maybe I should have clarified better on the post that I “liked”. Lastly, by your reasoning bc I said some guys aren’t good defenders then they suck all together and again that’s not what I said. If you think bc someone’s child is playing a high level sport and should agree with “everything” a coach says or does then you’re living in a dream world…I know some things have been told to my son and haven’t been followed through with soooo…I hope this clears some things up for you but if not we will agree to disagree. This team 1-1 and the sky hasn’t fallen yet and I believe there are some things that can fixed! There is a long way to go! Let’s Go 🕷🏀‼️

Before the game started we were favored by 6.5 on ESPN. Just before tip off it was 3.5 point favorite. We somehow lose by double digits. With Mooney you either get outstanding performance or losing a game that costs your post season hopes. Yes it's early in the season, if we don't beat Georgia State next. The sky might be falling early. Georgia State is legit by the way.

Well said dad. Super controversial to say Nick in his current status can't guard the 2 as well. Next, you will tell us water is wet.

I think Nick can have a huge impact on this team, but more as a zone buster and on the interior on defense, and his experience.
Totally agree

Reactions: nathanw19
You win or lose close games in the last 3-minutes. Anyone who witnessed the last 3-minutes tonight and still thinks that the Spiders are NCAA material is the ultimate optimist. The "most experienced team in the history of college basketball" was horrible (agree that it had some to do with who was playing). The decision-making, shot selection, and overall execution on both ends of the floor was flat out awful. This is a coach and player problem. Mostly coach because he decides who is on the floor, and he is responsible for preparing the team. Mooney should have been fired years ago.
"This game was really lost in the first 5 minutes of the second half"...Dick Tarrant

Reactions: spider fan
I guess I’m OBJ’s dad…hey I’ve been called worse 😀 here’s what I said…”Zay can defend, Dji can defend and Crab has been solid. Nick is a liability right now, Tyler isn’t a great defender but this is all a want to thing. You have to want to defend.”
As far as liking a post that advocates for someone to be fired that is not why I liked it, nor do I believe Coach should be fired, so let’s clear that up now! But what I do have a right to do is give criticism. It’s sports, what did I say that was bashing players? All players are subject to it including my son. I have zero problems with taking/hearing criticism. Nothing I said was a personal attack. Go back and look at earlier things I’ve said about Nick. It wasn’t to trash him, it was MY opinion that he can’t play the 2 bc he CAN’T guard the 2, that is all, nothing more. We all coach from the couch/sidelines it’s human nature. I don’t attack young kids, adults etc. But there can be criticism laid at their feet. The problem is your assuming…about the like button. Maybe I should have clarified better on the post that I “liked”. Lastly, by your reasoning bc I said some guys aren’t good defenders then they suck all together and again that’s not what I said. If you think bc someone’s child is playing a high level sport and should agree with “everything” a coach says or does then you’re living in a dream world…I know some things have been told to my son and haven’t been followed through with soooo…I hope this clears some things up for you but if not we will agree to disagree. This team 1-1 and the sky hasn’t fallen yet and I believe there are some things that can fixed! There is a long way to go! Let’s Go 🕷🏀‼️
Great post. Glad you're here.

Cmon, he is on the bench. Gipe or someone, maybe the strength coach, who knows or cares at this point. But he did see Newman walk in a restaurant but forgot all Spiders history between then and now haha.

I realize that there is no way we will ever know barring some colossal slip-up but it is such a curiosity to me which coaching staff member runs his account here.

Reactions: ur2K
Correct about us being 1-1 with the whole season left. We didn't play a good game and lost to a team that played well. I do find it funny that all of the ones on here who are praising Odom for beating us and attacking Mooney for losing have a very short memory since Odom just lost to Cal Davis. I mean, it's basketball, it's early in the season. Things happen that don't define the season.

But, I bet nearly everyone on here has played team sports at some point, if not in college, at least in high school. I ask them to imagine if their teammate's dad starts criticizing them and their coach on a message board. Not good. Never good. And, it wasn't a singular post that you liked, it was numerous posts. And, it wasn't a singular post you posted, it was multiple posts. No, I don't think a parent should or always will agree with a coach, but to put it on a team message board while criticizing their kid's teammates? That is next level right there. There was a theme going with the posts and likes, a "my kid is way better than your kid" theme. Not only should this not happen in high school (it does though), but this should never never never happen in college (if it does, it very very rarely does).

So, some things haven't been followed through with your son? Seriously? That comment right there explains a lot about your theme from last night. The good ole "my son deserves more playing time and I'm going to vent on a message board" situation has reached our message board. You should know as well as anyone you compete with your teammates and the best players play. You tell recruits "you're my PG or you're my QB", but c'mon now. This is college. I hope Dji improves enough to be a better part of the rotation this year, but if not, it would be nice if, especially for his sake, you could stop with the message board criticism. It can't help team chemistry, and if our players don't read the message board, they have friends that tell them what was said or liked. So, they know, right? They know exactly what a teammate's dad posted and liked. And, it was way way over the line.

Correct about us being 1-1 with the whole season left. We didn't play a good game and lost to a team that played well. I do find it funny that all of the ones on here who are praising Odom for beating us and attacking Mooney for losing have a very short memory since Odom just lost to Cal Davis. I mean, it's basketball, it's early in the season. Things happen that don't define the season.

But, I bet nearly everyone on here has played team sports at some point, if not in college, at least in high school. I ask them to imagine if their teammate's dad starts criticizing them and their coach on a message board. Not good. Never good. And, it wasn't a singular post that you liked, it was numerous posts. And, it wasn't a singular post you posted, it was multiple posts. No, I don't think a parent should or always will agree with a coach, but to put it on a team message board while criticizing their kid's teammates? That is next level right there. There was a theme going with the posts and likes, a "my kid is way better than your kid" theme. Not only should this not happen in high school (it does though), but this should never never never happen in college (if it does, it very very rarely does).

So, some things haven't been followed through with your son? Seriously? That comment right there explains a lot about your theme from last night. The good ole "my son deserves more playing time and I'm going to vent on a message board" situation has reached our message board. You should know as well as anyone you compete with your teammates and the best players play. You tell recruits "you're my PG or you're my QB", but c'mon now. This is college. I hope Dji improves enough to be a better part of the rotation this year, but if not, it would be nice if, especially for his sake, you could stop with the message board criticism. It can't help team chemistry, and if our players don't read the message board, they have friends that tell them what was said or liked. So, they know, right? They know exactly what a teammate's dad posted and liked. And, it was way way over the line.

Maybe Moon should take away your login credentials and you can check back in with us next year, unless you and your boss have been fired before then.

Reactions: spider23

Dude, just stop. When SpiderDad starts tweeting or posting weird ranting videos you might have an argument but a couple of likes on the message board is a terribly false equivalence.

Allow me to disagree, T. It's just not a good look from a parent. There's a reason why it's not common to see. Like there's a reason why everyone made such a big deal about OBJ's dad mouthing off. It's one thing for fans to do that, and that's pretty common. But, parents? Not good. It's just not. And, it wasn't just a "couple" of likes.

Allow me to disagree, T. It's just not a good look from a parent. There's a reason why it's not common to see. Like there's a reason why everyone made such a big deal about OBJ's dad mouthing off. It's one thing for fans to do that, and that's pretty common. But, parents? Not good. It's just not. And, it wasn't just a "couple" of likes.
Your look is really good?

Reactions: 8legs1dream
VT, I respect your right to say whatever you want even if it seems to me and others that you are so passionate in your defense of everything the program does that we can't help but wonder if you are either on the staff or related to a staffer. Possibly you are neither, but in that case it would seem you have some other close connection to one of them. I've been here 25 years and haven't seen anyone defend a program so vigorously at every turn. If you are truly just a fan with no connections to anyone in the program, that's totally fine too. Just be aware why people are suspicious, that's all.

None of us enjoy being critical of the program, but damn man, we're tired of watching the same movie every year for a decade! We just want to win and witness a return on our massive investment and sunken costs in this program.

Last edited:
My defense of everything? I don't defend everything. It just seems that way because I am not unbelievably negative like nearly all of this board. That's just who I am. It's the coach in me. Stay positive, and don't panic or write a season off because of a bad game. But, I will and have said when I think we need to do something differently, and have mentioned several times I think Wilson should be starting. Would you like me to share a few other things I would do differently? If we are in a tight game in the final 5 or 6 minutes, and Grant is waiting to come in, if we get the ball on offense before a dead ball, I would call a timeout and get him in there. He's just too valuable offensively to have him waiting for a dead ball time out. Another thing I have disagreed with is the way Mooney IMO fouls too early when we are up 3 late in a game. If you foul with more than 5 seconds left, they can make two, then, if we just make one out of two after they foul, they only need a 2 to tie us and could beat us with the three. Just too much time for all that to happen when you foul too early. And, I find the "must be associated with the program" talk beyond laughable, but I do appreciate and respect your keeping your post respectable without attacking.

4700, In our defense, we weren't negative in 2010 and 2011. Most here are just beat down with year after year being just out, mediocre, or just plain bad in basketballand football. And I am probably speaking for everyone here by saying we actually hope that YOU ARE RIGHT

Stay positive, and don't panic or write a season off because of a bad game.

How many years of bad games is too many. I’m sick of it at a decade straight. But how many is enough for you, will it take two decades?

There’s no way you played sports.

Reactions: spider23
I see a lot of criticism of Sherod on the board right now - and its warranted. But I think expected as well he would not be the player he was before and I think he will get better as season progresses.

But also to that effect - I only see Sherod's minutes getting bigger - probably in the 25-30 minute range as the season progresses. No way Mooney plays younger guys over Sherod.

I see a lot of criticism of Sherod on the board right now - and its warranted. But I think expected as well he would not be the player he was before and I think he will get better as season progresses.

But also to that effect - I only see Sherod's minutes getting bigger - probably in the 25-30 minute range as the season progresses. No way Mooney plays younger guys over Sherod.
I think Goose and Crabtree will take a lot of Sherod minutes. Nick is getting tired quickly and shooting the ball short.

Love nicks game, he brings a ton of instant offense but if he isn’t bringing that after two games he has to come off the bench and work back into it.

This shouldn’t be a particularly hard decision.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Love nicks game, he brings a ton of instant offense but if he isn’t bringing that after two games he has to come off the bench and work back into it.

This shouldn’t be a particularly hard decision.
Your logic is right. However, there's a guy sitting on the bench in a suit with a cup of water that sees & operates through a different set of eyes and logic. Plenty of history to tell us that.

Let's see who starts on Tuesday? If I was betting, I'd say NS. And make no mistake, I wish him a great great season. We all know that when he finds his stroke, he will be a major contributor.

Your logic is right. However, there's a guy sitting on the bench in a suit with a cup of water that sees & operates through a different set of eyes and logic. Plenty of history to tell us that.

Let's see who starts on Tuesday? If I was betting, I'd say NS. And make no mistake, I wish him a great great season. We all know that when he finds his stroke, he will be a major contributor.
You are correct sir. Things that often seem apparent to us aren’t of great concern to CM. I guess that’s why I’m not the coach. That and I’m a hack.

Sour grapes.

finally got around to watching this game.

we have a conceptual problem dealing with on-ball screens. it's usually a big man screening, and our bigs hedge more than needed. we end up with 2 on the ball and no way to get back. we need to quickly pop out defensively so the guard can't turn the corner but then instantly get back so they don't roll or get an open shot. but we can't help this far and be this slow in recovery. pick and pops are killing us.

I didn't see a lack of effort as I don't think the above problem is an effort problem.
I also didn't see defensive problems from the guys many here are blaming for our defensive problems. Nick wasn't beaten defensively. once in the 1st half he over helped when it wasn't needed and that lead to a basket. once in the 2nd half he was the only guy back and couldn't stop Bean (I think) at the rim. Nick just couldn't shoot this game. but his man didn't do much.

Burton played a strong game defensively in the 1st half. he did go out too far on a smaller guard in the 2nd half for no reason. Grant was actually ok on defense. I had bigger issues with Nathan who gave up a back door, got flat beaten off the dribble once, and for getting lost behind a screen. effort seemed fine. and Sal in his brief run made some mistakes over helping once and not helping another time when he obviously needed to.

I think it's more concept and communication than effort. and we can't shoot that poorly from 2. we were 13-34 from 2 (and 6 for 18 in the 2nd half). take away the true layups and it was even worse.

I'm hoping Utah State is pretty good. they certainly looked pretty good. but we'll see.

Last edited:
True sman we’ve had a continual issue dealing w on ball screens and how we hedge. I might term that our biggest deficiency on D but there r lots of contenders for that prize.

We never did this much hedging until the last year or so, and it seemed noticeably over the top when it started. I agree that it causes our entire defensive concept to be out of whack frequently.

We never did this much hedging until the last year or so, and it seemed noticeably over the top when it started. I agree that it causes our entire defensive concept to be out of whack frequently.
Yeah, that hedging worked for a couple games when Mooney first implemented it, but as is usual, he has kept it far too long, every team scouts it, is prepared for it and takes advantage of it now.

Yeah, that hedging worked for a couple games when Mooney first implemented it, but as is usual, he has kept it far too long, every team scouts it, is prepared for it and takes advantage of it now.
Would you guys agree that hedging and playing the pick in roll in general is difficult. To me I think we have to hedge on P&R bc it keeps us from switching which could cause mis matches. It's just a defensive philosophy so if we don't use hedging what should we do? Fight over top of the screens only? I too get a little frustrated at the hedging but for me I think we are hedging to long and not getting back quick enough. At least that is what I see on occasion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT