ADVERTISEMENT

Let Down

Dec 30, 2019
Just when I get my hopes up for Spider basketball we start showing our true colors. The poor play against a bad ODU team was followed up by a loss to a bad Radford team then another loss to a mediocre Alabama team. The familiar signs of a Mooney team have appeared: poor outside shooting, suspect defense, and getting killed on the boards. The substitution pattern is bizarre! Golden will be pulled after playing three minutes.??? How about letting him/them get into the flow of the game. I love Francis but the coaches need to temper his desire to throw up off balanced 3 point shots. He is fully capable of driving and hitting a runner or pull up jumper. What is up with Cayo and Sherod? I guess we can only make 3s or do work inside against poor defenses. It is back to reality with a .500 conference record coming. If that is acceptable to the administration then give Mooney a lifetime contract!

Why would you allow yourself to get your hopes up with Chris Mooney as the coach? Couldn't you see how bad the teams were that we beat up on (and almost lost to)?

The level of false hope on this board has been amazing.

This level of false hope u speak of has been going on for 8 years. Some are so far up CM’s bung that they can’t think straight.
Why would you allow yourself to get your hopes up with Chris Mooney as the coach? Couldn't you see how bad the teams were that we beat up on (and almost lost to)?

The level of false hope on this board has been amazing.

Reactions: coach fezz
Just wait until about 9:30 pm on Thursday after Ryan Daly drops about 35 on us.
Well he did have 25 vs Florida, 30 vs UConn, and 32 vs Villanova...

22 in opening game 2 seasons ago, Bedrock returns...

Feels like someone should buy themselves a billboard to feel better. The Radford loss was abysmal. Alabama, while hard to swallow, is a road game versus a power conference. One we needed to win but not the end of the world either. Feel blessed we stole the first two games of the season. :cool:

Stop the Mooney hate. Get back on track against St. Joe's and then handle Rhode Island.

As Gloria Estefan would say "Turn the beat around. Love to hear percussion!"

Be excellent to each other.

Feels like someone should buy themselves a billboard to feel better. The Radford loss was abysmal. Alabama, while hard to swallow, is a road game versus a power conference. One we needed to win but not the end of the world either. Feel blessed we stole the first two games of the season. :cool:

Stop the Mooney hate. Get back on track against St. Joe's and then handle Rhode Island.

As Gloria Estefan would say "Turn the beat around. Love to hear percussion!"

Be excellent to each other.

It's high time you showed up...

I dont agree. It has been a long long time and the coach has not produced. Yes we are 10-3 but the oil is leaking, those who have followed the program see it very clearly. The guy makes over a mil a year... we are allowed to be vitriol.
The oil is just lubricant to make the wheels turn. The faster the wheels turn in place, the more one spins his wheels.

I do feel a little let down too but i think that's reasonable feeling myself. We have a loaded veteran best class ever starting 5. Go back and look at the A10 player rankings preseason. Couple guys that could be all time greats, certainly will be at top of a number of all time statistical categories.

Also two really good players off bench in Goose & Burton. Moon thinks Burton could be all time great, he's already very good. And Goose could be one of the best defenders in entire COUNTRY per Moon. He's good too. Yet I'm perplexed Mooney is not playing them more overall. Two best athletes on team, Bama was lighting us up and they get minimal minutes in that game was crazy.

Those 7 guys, come on. No NCAA and that is a waste and underachievement, I'd feel bad for the players. If you are 10-1 with a NET 22 with that group you make it.

But we can still be special. I'm on board with Gloria Estefan and the Spiders.

The intensity with which we played with v Wisconsin ain’t there since.We were intense on both sides of the ball.Maybe it was Barclays,maybe it was NYC,maybe it was the Nets practice Center.A courtside view only reinforced on how tough we played.Maybe we’ve been reading our own headlines on how great we were at NET #22.

The oil is just lubricant to make the wheels turn. The faster the wheels turn in place, the more one spins his wheels.

Unless of course you have prepared for the wheels to turn faster, if you take off like a rocket.

I'm just so exhausted and exasperated by the CM roller coaster every season since 2011. We get on this board so optimistic before OOC, and by the time the A10 games start, its the same old CM BS. I gave up my season tickets two years ago, and still won't go back to the RC until the Moon Man is sacked.

Sometimes an organization needs to make a change for the sake of making a change, and IMHO we are way past due for a change of coach.

#NoMoreMooneyTruthing

Sometimes an organization needs to make a change for the sake of making a change, and IMHO we are way past due for a change of coach.

#NoMoreMooneyTruthing

Truth. How sports organizations don't see this is beyond me. Garrett in Dallas, Bruce Allen in DC, are two current examples. Both should have been axed a year or two ago, and then organizations might have taken their lumps for a year or so with the installation of a new regime and been on a different track.

Both remained and low and behold they continued to deliver the same mediocre results and their organizations are in the same places they were 2 years ago.

It is a shame because we do have talent but beyond clear that Mooney does not know how to motivate and put them in the position to achieve a higher level of success.

I feel stupid for getting hyped earlier this year, I should have known better. I hope we can turn it around and will continue to turn out and cheer for this team because I want the players to realize their dreams. I just wish we had a leader that could make those dreams a reality.

The level of vitriol on this board is just as amazing.

What do you expect us to do as fans? Many have voted with their feet and their wallet (including me). Can't we express our displeasure with Mooney in other ways?

I would agree - we need to pump the brakes a bit on this one. Just as we needed to pump the brakes on our good start and how when we were 10-1 - we were thinking NCAA bid, maybe even making it to the Dayton game with 1 loss, etc.
Simple thing to remember in times like these is that it is never as good as you think, but never as bad you think either.
Almost everyone on this board questioned our schedule to an extent, and even though the computer rankings had UR in the 20's for NET rankings - I think everyone with a reasonable head on their shoulders could see our schedule was pretty weak. And UR had games where it struggled - like Vandy, St. Francis, and ODU - but also had good games vs. Wisconsin and BC.
Is this team better than last year - of course it is.
Have the last 2 losses been disappointing - yes. Radford especially as they were struggling as well.
Is the season over - not even close.
Good news for UR is the A10 is shaping up with some good teams. That means if you beat those teams - you can help yourself in the NCAA resume department. Dayton and VCU are clearly at the top. But St. Louis is also in the mix and everyone is still waiting for Davidson to wake up.
The last 2 losses did not help. But they certainly did not put a nail in the coffin for this season. Maybe this game was a spark splug for Wojcik as bench production has been an issue. But now - with the A10 season starting - if UR finishes in the top 3, then there is an NCAA chance - UR will be on the bubble.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT