ADVERTISEMENT

Last Spot will be...

Who will fill the last open schollie spot?

• A 2015 recruit (play as a freshman)

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • A graduate transfer (play right away)

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • A regular transfer (sit out a year)

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • Leave it open (just in case)

Votes: 7 21.9%

• Total voters
Love the Pistokache pick-up. Gives us plenty of guard options this year and beyond. To fill out our 2015 scholarships, I would really like to see a high-impact transfer forward who could help us in 2016-17. Four scholarship seniors graduating after this year (Allen, Odada, Taylor, Davis).... losing lots of players with size.

Was thinking the same thing, Web. We will only have Cline, Wood and Friendshuh after next year. That doesn't allow much room for injury or subs, and two of those guys are relative unknowns to us. I am sure that one or two of our 2016 recruits will be forwards also, but unless we can get one who will be ready to step right in and play significant minutes as a freshman, I'd prefer to fill this last spot with a forward now so that we'll be 4-deep in 2016.

Ditto on Web95's comments. At this point, our returning frontcourt players in 2016-17 will be Cline, Friendshuh and Wood. All seem to be finesse players. We need somebody who can work under the basket for the 2016-17 team.

97. I thought the same thing about Adam. I would call it a downward move for Smith. He must not like coach.

Last edited:
Going from one ACC bottom feeder to another. I guess he doesn't like playing in the postseason.

Either that or he loved playing for a coach that was about to get fired so much that he decided to go play for another.

Truly unfortunate decision making.

The Spiders team for this coming year reminds me in one big way of the University of Florida teams of 2007 (won national chapmionship) and the UF team from 2013. These teams were senior dominated, but more importantly they were dominated by several (3-5) outstnding defensive players. Florida "flamed-out" this year largely because the coaching staff failed to replace excellent defenders with more excellent defenders. They "forgot the formula."
Along those lines, it is important to remember, that the 4 rising seniors on the current team are probably best known for their defense than any other qualities. Certainly no one can argue that 3 out of our 4 top defenders on this team are rising seniors (Zo, DT, and Trey). If we do not place some emphasis on bringing in at least one excellent shot blocker and at least one very strong on-ball defender, we could learn the UF lessono the hard way. Our three top defenders help this team to win, in large part, because they play excellent team defense. If we do not bring in strong defenders to replace them, our whole team emphasis will have to change, and we will need to out-score other team. I hope our coaches have this "top-of-mind' when recruting the remaining schoolie for this year and also when replacing the 4 upcoming seriors. Florida fans learned the hard way (as did Donovan) that bringing in scorers to replace excellent defenders can have unintended consequneces, including many more "Ls."

The Spiders team for this coming year reminds me in one big way of the University of Florida teams of 2007 (won national chapmionship) and the UF team from 2013. These teams were senior dominated, but more importantly they were dominated by several (3-5) outstnding defensive players. Florida "flamed-out" this year largely because the coaching staff failed to replace excellent defenders with more excellent defenders. They "forgot the formula."
Along those lines, it is important to remember, that the 4 rising seniors on the current team are probably best known for their defense than any other qualities. Certainly no one can argue that 3 out of our 4 top defenders on this team are rising seniors (Zo, DT, and Trey). If we do not place some emphasis on bringing in at least one excellent shot blocker and at least one very strong on-ball defender, we could learn the UF lessono the hard way. Our three top defenders help this team to win, in large part, because they play excellent team defense. If we do not bring in strong defenders to replace them, our whole team emphasis will have to change, and we will need to out-score other team. I hope our coaches have this "top-of-mind' when recruting the remaining schoolie for this year and also when replacing the 4 upcoming seriors. Florida fans learned the hard way (as did Donovan) that bringing in scorers to replace excellent defenders can have unintended consequneces, including many more "Ls."

Why do I think you are going to hear from the other side on this? As in, the other side of the coin, the converse is true...

Rather have players who know how to put the ball in the bucket and can be taught defense versus the other way around. To me it is harder to teach college kids good fundamental shooting techniques if they don't already have them, than to teach them how to play good defense. For example, TJ became a much better defender as the year progressed, Deion and Trey did not become better offensive threats as the season went on.

Ditto on Web95's comments. At this point, our returning frontcourt players in 2016-17 will be Cline, Friendshuh and Wood. All seem to be finesse players. We need somebody who can work under the basket for the 2016-17 team.

Just because Cline can shoot and pass doesn't mean he's a finesse player. he's anything but!

Mooney should be looking for a 6'8 or better guy who can move his feet. The longer the better. The Spider guards are good, they'll be needing a versatile forward in case TJ and Wood never become good defenders. Any word on Friendshuh? Is he going to be a player by 2016?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT