ADVERTISEMENT

Kim Lewis gone:

Im too cheap to pay for the RTD, anyone got cliffs on the article.

I work with his wife. Interesting development.

This feels like a forced staff change that I thought would be at least one obligatory move Hardt might require to demonstrate that status quo isn’t acceptable. Pure speculation of course but at least consistent that he doesn’t have a new opportunity lined up already, that’s always a pretty strong indicator.

Will be really curious to see how this gets filled. If he hires outside rather than elevates McGonigal or Steve Thomas then that theory seems likely because CM has always promoted DOBOs whenever assistants left in the past.

Reactions: gospidersgo
We will see another Mooney Yes Man slotted in for Kim Lewis. I think this is one of the forced changes, but these tend to be for optics and not for meaningful change. This makes me think of when Mike Winiecki was cut loose from Brad Brownell's staff when Brownell was on the hot seat a couple of years ago. Purely symbolic. Sorry to see Kim get axed in the name of CM preservation.

#NoMoreMooneyTruthing

Reactions: Eight Legger
Kevin Anderson, Hovde, Peter Thomas, which former Mooney player gets this job???? Or does Mooney do something completely unexpected and actually go get someone outside of his small inner circle who might actually help him with recruiting or coaching rebounding or defense.

I'm of course joking with that second statement. This is leadership insecure Mooney we are talking about. Of course, it will be the former.

Reactions: KWeaver
Right, hard to believe this is a sacrificial lamb type of offering. As stated, Mooney will go with a former player, or some form of yes man. He would not bring in some bad ass defensive coordinator that is 52 years old and still has a lot of fight.

So we don't think Chris Fleming is the replacement?
That would be a statement!

Kevin Anderson, Hovde, Peter Thomas, which former Mooney player gets this job???? Or does Mooney do something completely unexpected and actually go get someone outside of his small inner circle who might actually help him with recruiting or coaching rebounding or defense.

I'm of course joking with that second statement. This is leadership insecure Mooney we are talking about. Of course, it will be the former.

Hovde has a much better job as associate head coach at San Fran. I don't see KA either. My money is on 1 of the DOBO's getting promoted. I mean why change it's worked so well right?

I said in another thread this would perfect time to check on Tony Shaver. He might be at point in his career that he's open to it, and it's still in area of country he's been all his coaching life. I'd give Mooney some props if he pulled that off but it would take lot of respect of Mooney from a vet coach and also heavy recruiting by Mooney. Couple major obstacles there.

Reactions: Eight Legger
I think the San Fran head coach got the Cal job? If so, that would mean Hovde may very well be in need of a bail out?

The old coach got Washington State. But San Fran assistant replaced him and elevated Hovde to associate head coach so Hovde is the top assistant there.

The old coach got Washington State. But San Fran assistant replaced him and elevated Hovde to associate head coach so Hovde is the top assistant there.
Aha, thanks for the clarification. In that case Hovde probably out. I think he is too tough and independent for Mooney's staff anyway.

not a moderator nor a boy scout but think some on here need to revisit their posts and maybe their lives. you don't come on here and go after our staff's fams, that is bush, rude and classless. for goodness sakes, think about what you say.

This feels like a forced staff change that I thought would be at least one obligatory move Hardt might require to demonstrate that status quo isn’t acceptable. Pure speculation of course but at least consistent that he doesn’t have a new opportunity lined up already, that’s always a pretty strong indicator.

Will be really curious to see how this gets filled. If he hires outside rather than elevates McGonigal or Steve Thomas then that theory seems likely because CM has always promoted DOBOs whenever assistants left in the past.
That formula has worked so well...why not keep that pattern in play. It's kind of like CM's rebounding & defensive strategies. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

My thoughts exactly. Mercer is a step down in the career ladder for Lewis. Low mid-major and he has to be taking a pay cut. But probably more job security beyond this year.

It's gotta be just an avenue out of here. I'm sure Mooney is looking for a yes man to be his next assistant. Maybe Kevin Smith would leave a winning program in Campbell to help out his former coach?

Too bad Kim didn't leave sooner - we could have offered the assistant job to Pat Beilein.

Pat is like his dad, he is a head coach. Not a lifetime achievement award assistant, like the assistants on our staff. And as much as you want to doubt him trap, he will have had so much more success than Mooney in the next fiver years, take that to the bank. He is a winner.

Reactions: GKiller
Pat is like his dad, he is a head coach. Not a lifetime achievement award assistant, like the assistants on our staff. And as much as you want to doubt him trap, he will have had so much more success than Mooney in the next fiver years, take that to the bank. He is a winner.

Pat is also now working for an exceptional AD. Please let us switch the Bucknell pipeline to the Niagara pipeline. Pretty please with a cherry on top.

Maybe we could get Niagara on the OOC schedule in the next 3 seasons and after the game(s)?

Last edited:
Pat was on 950 a week or two ago and said he's looking for games and would love to come play here. Who knows if he was just saying that or what but he said he would contact Mooney. My guess is Mooney wants no part of it.

Pat was on 950 a week or two ago and said he's looking for games and would love to come play here. Who knows if he was just saying that or what but he said he would contact Mooney. My guess is Mooney wants no part of it.
Well we have to play the best OOC in the A10 next year. Gonna be hard to fit niagara in between our home games against Duke, UNC, and UVA

Wow, LOL, Mooney is running from this game. Would be much more interesting for our fan base than Jacksonville State of Alabama, or Longerwood, or fill in the blank. But you are right, Moon will limp away.

I would take that bet - I think Pat will do well, but probably similar to Mooney. Make an NCAA, then drop back down, then maybe come back up. Key is at those lower level schools - knowing when to leave and take the big offer and knowing when to stay. Beilein (the dad) was good at knowing when to move, when to interview to get a raise and extension, and when to stay. We will see how Pat does in that area if he has success at Niagara - but if your asking me to take Pat Beilein or take the field, I take the field everytime.

LOL Pat vs. the field. vs. all the rest of D1 coaches. Good bet Trap. I'll hold it. You need to put up 1 million to win $1.

Reactions: urfan1
Better bet - how long until Niagara makes the NCAA tourney?

Last year they were 13-19, and lose top 2 scorers, and 4 guys overall from their 8 man rotation. 3 years?

Or who makes it back to the NCAA first - Mooney or Beilein?

Better bet - how long until Niagara makes the NCAA tourney?

Last year they were 13-19, and lose top 2 scorers, and 4 guys overall from their 8 man rotation. 3 years?

Or who makes it back to the NCAA first - Mooney or Beilein?

Beilein the Younger. It's not even close. MAAC is easy to ramp up a program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT