ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky 38-1

SpiderK

Spider's Club
Dec 3, 2014
Nice to see Kentucky and Calipari lose. Wisconsin was the better team. Kominski and Decker came up big and Carly-Simon was a no show.

This post was edited on 4/5 9:38 AM by SpiderK

I think to watch Wisconsin pivot defense was very good with the feet and position. Also to keep in front of dribbler and to get to spot sooner on defense than dribbbler was good. I think Coach Ryan not too much for block the shot. Very good game.

Coach did you see Wisconsin box-out on the defensive end? Beautiful thing to watch.

I thought the officials, subconsciously maybe, wanted Kentucky to win, the examples: the fragrant 1 that wasn't called, the charge where the Kentucky defender was obviously moving, etc. I guess they figured the game Monday would have a better rating if Kentucky was playing for the perfect season. Kentucky's defense reminded me of the 'hackaway' RPI uses. Foul too often to call them.

I-Am-UR., "Subconsciously" is a very kind word for that. No doubt the #NCAA and Sports media world wanted Kentucky to win that game.Funny to watch ESPN today with a funeral atmosphere. I thought Wisconsin was the better "team" and proved it dispite the refs. I have always agreed with your theory that teams like Kentucky and RPI with deep benches employ hacking so much that the refs feel bad or give up calling them all. Weber made a career doing it. It's called Hack-Voc. :).

I was thrilled to see one of the "one&done" schools go down. One more to go!!

Andrew Harrison sure pissed in his boot with his comment after the game.

Wisconsin is well-coached. Hope that they beat another one-and-done (Harrison twins two-and-done) team on Monday.

a great game on the biggest stage and another reason why all these sports writers saying the college game is "broken" are full of themselves and "it". glad to see my bud Bryan Kersey officiating the opening game, nice payday for him but a definite reward for doing an outstanding job in very difficult circumstances.

The officiating was dreadful both ways. Brutally bad allowing the shot clock elapsed bucket to count wth 2:40 or so remaining. It was piss poor all around.

Originally posted by MrTbone:
The officiating was dreadful both ways. Brutally bad allowing the shot clock elapsed bucket to count wth 2:40 or so remaining. It was piss poor all around.
Look I wanted Wiscy to win but that was the biggest official miss of the game. No basket and UK still up by 2 and who knows what? Also was surprised before game when announcer stated Cal showed no tape of Wiscy at all to his players while Ryan extensively used tape of UK for his team to see.

I would think Wiscy would be the team that would benefit more by it ..... but to show nothing at all to your team? Maybe he was fibbing? UK players very talented but some preparation should benefit them.

feel it is the most difficult game to officiate but also don't believe have ever heard fans talk about a game without saying the refs were terrible, that has become part of the game as well.

Kentucky loss opens up a likely Duke win on Monday.Duke matches up better with Wisconsin than with Kentucky.Looks like Coack K gets the big trophy and big check.

Agree Web. These final group of teams are so good and lots of softer fouls missed but I think refs discuss possibly before the game to try to let things go with some bumping outside of a shot being taken. Even on shots defender more physical as long as shot is not greatly affected by it. Last thing the audience wants to see is key players not in the game. No doubt a fine line exists.

South, no doubt the refs do that, but when do you call a foul and on who, at what time?. That kind of decision process put in the hands the officials in itself is game changing and dubious. I think calling the fouls and travels as they happen when they happen will make the players and coaches adjust. I don't want to see NCAA games turn into NBA games where it becomes a combination of no dribbling, no defense and one on one.

Most blatant failure of the officials was an intentional slap in the face by Lyle of Kentucky. Millions saw it and should have been a flagrant 1 foul. 2 free throws and the ball. It would have been a huge swing in the game at that time. How do 3 refs see that on slow motion video and not see what everyone else on earth saw? No way?? I can see them missing the shot clock violation because it was not reviewable and 80,000 people were screaming.

34 fouls were called in the game and they were spread out very nicely so that only one person fouled out in the final seconds on an intentional foul. On the other hand, I will give the refs credit for not getting overly energetic in their "theatrics" when calling a foul. Usually you can easily tell what side they are on watching the enthusiasm with which they make a call on a certain team.

All in all, great game and best team won.

What is annoying to me is changing the calling emphasis during tournament time. Letting the physical play escalate again so even elbows and hits above the neck are ignored (there were 2 by KY yesterday that I saw and both should have been called at least a foul). Fans just want consistency, fairness and make teams play by the rules (otherwise change the darn rules). If it's a foul the first 5 min of a game in the first game of the season, then it's a foul in the Final 4. All the crap commentary from ESPN and media about "ok to make a no-call and just let 'em play" is simply wanting their favorite teams to put on the boxing gloves and enter the ring for a 40 minute knock down, drag out brawl that many of them over the last 20 years played in and helped create. It's not what many of us want to see on the court because it seems to just keep scoring down and put an ugly product on TV. The good news yesterday is that the Badgers won despite the poor officiating. Hope they can do it again Mon and take down Duke, showing that there are basketball student athletes out there who can develop over 4 years and win as a team.

I agree SpiderK with you also. I mentioned the instances officials might swallow the whistle but indeed in that game probably a few more could have been called. The difference to me in these teams compared to average regular season teams is how better they are and their level of understanding of the game being higher. Players yesterday probably preferred the game the way it was called and can't recall if there was that much more complaining going on than normal.

Midlo, this will scare you, but I agree with everything you just said.

Also tired of national sports talk people like Cow-Herder and Lib-A-Tard promoting the NBA and putting down college basketball. Nobody watches the NBA because it sucks.
This post was edited on 4/5 3:06 PM by SpiderK

am sure that the badgers had the more veteran team but they had no greasy mac all americans, the wildcats had 8. like the fact that things evened out as wisconsin could compete with all that talent and come out with a victory. word is out that raylon givens was handing out tons of speeding tickets as big blue nation raced across the indiana/kentucky line on the way home.

I understand what the officials try to do in the big games but after last night ...... I'm going to have to switch my opinion to the posters here who prefer the game officiated more closely or like it is all year long. Didn't realize until looking at the box score only 28 total fouls. Was a little ugly both ways. If players 6-10 from both teams finish the game, so be it but like what was stated already you would think these players can figure it out without fouling out.

they kept saying all tourney that wisconsin is coached not to foul and when k was interviewed at half he said we kept driving but they would not foul us. an interesting technique but they don't get many blocks for a really big team and that is why. coaches have their little quirks and what they emphasize and difficult to get them to change.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT