ADVERTISEMENT

Kenny Williams

SpiderLaw

Star
Jun 8, 2003
I see that all 3 Shaka Smart recruits for VCU have asked for their release. Kenny Williams from L C Bird says he will still consider VCU.

Is there any chance Williams would consider UR now that Smithen is departing?

When you look at the list of schools that offered Williams, I think it is noteworthy that both UR and UVA were interested but did not offer. Could mean he did not fulfill the academic requirements for those two schools.

This post was edited on 4/12 7:03 AM by Ulla1

Kenny Williams recruiting

I don't think it serves us well to automatically assume there's a grades issue whenever we don't recruit a Top 150 player. As has been mentioned elsewhere, we haven't had a Top 150 recruit in about 12years.

Should we assume that we couldn't get all 1800 of the Top 150 players through our admissions office over that period? Let's come down from our ivory town.

Perhaps we just knew UNC offered KW and we didn't bother to offer as a result. That would've been good enough for me.

Mo, your idea certainly makes sense; in fact, I initially thought the same. However, since he is local and both UR and UVA offered other highly ranked players, I proffered the alternate possibility.

sometimes the staff will introduce/inquire etc and the player will indicate a lack of interest and the staff will say if you would like to talk let us know. No need to waste a lot of time.

Relative's wife teaches honor classes at Bird and had KW and offered the following comments- excellent student and grades, good test scores,very humble, great family with 3 or 4 siblings. Said reason he chose VCU was the coaching staff and their ability to connect with players along with the fact that family could attend games!

This should be the #1 priority for the staff!!!

Good insight, 9, thanks. I'm sure we have done our due diligence if this one is even a 1% option. Would be a tremendous coup for us if so. I know Georgetown and Michigan have been interested recently (and in the past). If being close to home is a top priority, then who knows...

does anybody know the league rule about a recruit decommiting and recommitting to another A-10 school -- one that has not yet enrolled such as the three recruits. Pretty sure its a 2 year sit out for an in league transfer.

Found this on the GMU student Athlete Handbook:

1.b. A-10 Intraconference Transfer Rule
A student-athlete in a conference sport that has been the recipient of athletically related financial aid at
a A-10 Institution who decided to transfer within conference must fulfill two academic years of residence
(per NCAA Bylaw 14.5.1) prior to being certified eligible for competition. The Intraconference Transfer
rule also applies to incoming student-athletes that has signed a valid National Letter of Intent with an
A-10 Institution. Likewise, by general agreement, the original institution will have no objection to a
waiver of the transfer residence requirement for the intra-conference transfer of a student that has never
received athletically related financial aid at the first A-10 Institution.

This from an '06 summary of the conference rules related to transfers:

Atlantic 10 Basketball - for NLI signee or athletic
grant-in-aid recipient..
No competition 2 years.
No loss of season
Not eligible for athletic
financial aid during the
year of residency
--
--
Institution may request an
appeal to the ADs.
Institution may request an
appeal to the Executive
Committee.

Is it technically a transfer though? He hasn't taken a class there.

That said, our chances on this are near nil. Moot point.

He is not a transfer

If VCU releases him from his LOI he can go anyplace without penalty. He is not a VCU student, so he isn't a transfer. Typically schools award the release.

Re: He is not a transfer

As I read the league rule the original school and the transfer school must say yes, and then all A-10 schools must say yes. I would think if the first 2 do, the rest would say yes. --- The NLI seems to be the key for the league

This post was edited on 4/12 7:10 PM by URFan1

Why would UR consider him? As Ulla said, he likely does not meet the admission requirements.

Originally posted by bb3831:
Why would UR consider him? As Ulla said, he likely does not meet the admission requirements.
9 Legs post above indicates he may be a good student - no way to know whether he meets Richmond's admission requirements.

How many top 150 players does the A-10 get each year? Sounds silly to me that the league would give up the chance to get a top recruit due to a coaching change who has never played and let him go to the Big 10 or Big East. If so, the league will always be mediocre. These things need to be handled by the commissioner on a case by case basis. Not sure of the timing but Michigan had a starter Smocryz sp)hat wound up at Maryland and played against them this past year! UNC has a football player(who graduated) who is going to play for UVA this year and they play UNC.

Will VCU be able to "field a team" in 2015-2016?

I think it's great that all of Smart's recruits are leaving!

I hear Weber is going to give up his contract with the Greenland national team and play one more year with the sheep.

I got a feeling at least one of them ends up staying at VCU.

Maybe they are just getting their release to see if any other schools, including Texas, are interested and have room for them. The problem is - it is the middle of April and with the way college basketball works these days - most kids are locked up for scholarships in their junior or beginning of senior year, so many schools do not have openings so the choices might be slim.

There will be room. We have complained about VCU making room for years, we have room, etc. etc. I f they are good enough, anywhere they want to go and that wants them will make room if need be. Its a cut throat business and that's how its played.

Speculation is that District Baller has transferred to Texas
roll.r191677.gif

Apparently Tevin Mack has not been granted a release yet, with some undertones that VCU may be blocking the release, or blocking him going to TX. Of course official word is that he has not asked for it, but seems the firs scenario may be likely.

I would love to talk some Spider hoops if anyone has any recruiting news please fire away.

imagine the VCU venom towards Shaka if he pursues one of the LOI kids to come to Texas? oh, that would be fun.

Originally posted by spider23:

Apparently Tevin Mack has not been granted a release yet, with some undertones that VCU may be blocking the release, or blocking him going to TX. Of course official word is that he has not asked for it, but seems the firs scenario may be likely.
I believe Mack's mom publically asked for the release and did so before the other 2 recruits. Interesting, that this hasn't happened yet but then again there was lots of smoke with Mack to Texas.

Just let the kid go where he wants to go.

Mack tweeted he would be gone for the weekend on the first weekend Shaka was in TX. Coincidence maybe?

Didn't realize we offered Williams in the first place, we're on his considering list on ESPN for whatever that means. Lets reel him in!

I would love to see it happen, but don't hold your breath -- I don't see it happening

Too many big name programs looking to swoop in. Heard he did like us and his school runs the same kind of offense, but I don't see it happening unless he REALLY wants to stay home. If he did defect to us all the people on Broad St would get their skinny jeans in a wad. My bet is he ends up at Wake Forest. He'll get a chance to start as a freshman in the ACC and Manning is going after him hard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT