ADVERTISEMENT

Kayde Dotson - 2024 Offer

While I’m glad to see us being somewhat more active, I continue to be uninspired by many of these guys lists.

As long as our other two recruits hit it may not make a ton of difference.

While I’m glad to see us being somewhat more active, I continue to be uninspired by many of these guys lists.

As long as our other two recruits hit it may not make a ton of difference.
A lot of guys start with offers like this, and get better offers as they get into their senior year. So, if we like a guy's talent, think he can get better and better, and think he would be a good fit and could help us, are we supposed to not offer him because his other offers are not inspiring?

Reactions: plydogg and urfan1
A lot of guys start with offers like this, and get better offers as they get into their senior year. So, if we like a guy's talent, think he can get better and better, and think he would be a good fit and could help us, are we supposed to not offer him because his other offers are not inspiring?
No offer if Richmond coaches are the ONLY ones who think the guy will be really good in 2-3-years. We've seen no indication that UR coaches are far superior to others in talent evaluation.

Secondarily, if your recruiter is regularly competing with only lower tier schools for portal talent, Houston, we have a problem. Bill Engvall would say "Here's your sign" to whomever was running that type of operation :)

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Fair. But you gotta admit, it’s not a super inspiring list.

I could not care less about a guy's list. Did Tyler have a great inspiring list? TJ? Grant?
It’s kind of fascinating how you can turn just about any statement into an argument. All I’m saying is that it’s not a very competitive list.

Let’s move on since I’m definitely disinterested in arguing over this one.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
It’s kind of fascinating how you can turn just about any statement into an argument. All I’m saying is that it’s not a very competitive list.

Let’s move on since I’m definitely disinterested in arguing over this one.
??? Didn't realize anyone was arguing.

VT4700 I'm sure the staff sees talent in these guys we are offering, so this isn't meant to be a diss at Dotson.

But there's no denying that we have many spots to fill and it's super late in the game to have so many openings. So when there is a slew of late offers where we are clearly the best school on the list it shouldn't be surprising that many Spider fans have concerns.

Dotson and other late offers may end up being great Spiders, and if they come to Richmond I will be pulling for them.

VT4700 I'm sure the staff sees talent in these guys we are offering, so this isn't meant to be a diss at Dotson.

But there's no denying that we have many spots to fill and it's super late in the game to have so many openings. So when there is a slew of late offers where we are clearly the best school on the list it shouldn't be surprising that many Spider fans have concerns.

Dotson and other late offers may end up being great Spiders, and if they come to Richmond I will be pulling for them.
Dotson is a 2024 guy. So, it is not super late in the game for him. You and T, with his as long as our other 2 recruits hit comment, both posted as if Dotson were a 2023 guy. So, this is just another example of getting on our program when it is not justified. Don't like the player? Fine. We can disagree there. Don't like the other offers? Fine, but I am more interested in the player, not his offers. Saying we are late in the game when offering a 2024 guy in May 2023? That is just not accurate.

Last edited:
For the record, I am well aware he’s a 2024 offer. Again, all I’m saying is that it’s not a super impressive list. Will it get better? Maybe, and I hope so.

It’s not the ultimate determinant if a guy is going to be good for us, but it typically is an indicator.

Dotson is a 2024 guy. So, it is not super late in the game for him. You and T, with his as long as our other 2 recruits hit comment, both posted as if Dotson were a 2023 guy. So, this is just another example of getting on our program when it is not justified. Don't like the player? Fine. We can disagree there. Don't like the other offers? Fine, but I am more interested in the player, not his offers. Saying we are late in the game when offering a 2024 guy in May 2023? That is just not accurate.
You're right I had the year wrong.

I guess there's no point in worrying too much about this at the moment, a lot more discussion to be had once all the signings are done.

Reactions: VT4700
You're right I had the year wrong.

I guess there's no point in worrying too much about this at the moment, a lot more discussion to be had once all the signings are done.
He could be another Collin Tanner. We were one of the first to offer Tanner in June last year, then he got more and more offers. He kept elevating his game, playing better and better, committed to us late August, has been playing fantastic, all around basketball since, and now has many basketball guys online talking about what a stud we landed. I still can't figure out what is bothering T so much about our Dotson offer. He said he knows Dotson is a 2024 guy, but then continues to make comments like he is a 2023 guy. It's mid May...why would T be so worried about an offer list now? Good thing we weren't thinking like T and didn't offer Tanner because of his list at the time.

Reactions: urfan1
No offer if Richmond coaches are the ONLY ones who think the guy will be really good in 2-3-years. We've seen no indication that UR coaches are far superior to others in talent evaluation.
without looking, I think there have been a lot of examples where we evaluate a guy early and see something others haven't seen. problem is when they get noticed later. us being early doesn't help very often if a bigger name program offers later.

Reactions: regatw
Kayde has picked up offers from New Mexico, SFA, and Sam Houston in the past few weeks.

LOL at some comments on here. So funny that some posters on here were bothered by us offering him because of his offer list at the time.

8legs, I think you missed the point of VT's post.

Regardless, New Mexico is solid, but the rest of his visits are nothing to write home about (particularly sadly in Loyola's case unless last year was just a bad blip and Valentine can get things turned around).

8legs, I think you missed the point of VT's post.

Regardless, New Mexico is solid, but the rest of his visits are nothing to write home about (particularly sadly in Loyola's case unless last year was just a bad blip and Valentine can get things turned around).
Nothing to write home about last year, but if you go back only 2 years , SMU, in a better conference than ours, went 13-4 IC and 24-9 overall amd Loyola finished 29th in Kenpom's final rankings. The bottom line is it is beyond foolish to focus on the other teams who have offered a 2024 recruit in the spring of 2023.

Dotson is down to SMU, New Mexico, and SFA. Decision at the end of the month.

For my own sanity I’m going to hope that’s because we backed off the kid a bit.
? Why? Because we should always beat out SMU, who is now an ACC school, and New Mexico, a Mountain West school who finished with a 64 NET last year, which was better than every A-10 team except VCU, and a quality SFA program from the WAC only 2 hours from his home which finished with a better NET than all but 4 A-10 teams last year? I guess this is just you trying to justify your previous comments about his offers?

Last edited:
? Why? Because we should always beat out SMU, who is now an ACC school, and New Mexico, a Mountain West school who finished with a 64 NET last year, which was better than every A-10 team except VCU, and a quality SFA program from the WAC only 2 hours from his home which finished with a better NET than all but 4 A-10 teams last year? Seriously??? I guess this is just you trying to justify your previous comments about what "terrible" offers he got, right?
Zzzzzz. SSDD.

You’re right, we are definitely worse than all of these programs. I’m glad you’ve acknowledged the problem.

Zzzzzz. SSDD.

You’re right, we are definitely worse than all of these programs. I’m glad you’ve acknowledged the problem.
Uh.....newsflash. Everytime a kid chooses one school over another, it doesn't mean the school that did not land the guy is worse than the one that did. Wow, we did not get a guy from Texas who has SMU from the ACC, along with New Mexico, a school that finished with a 64 NET last year, and SFA, a school 2 hours from his home, as part of his possible schools....that means we suck according to T. Unreal, man.

Why are you holding onto your ill advised "as long as our other 2 recruits hit" comment from earlier, when you spoke as if he were a 2023 recruit? You couldn't even admit that you thought that. So, you just keep making one foolish comment after another here. Not your best thread, man.

Last edited:
Reactions: gcarter52
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT