ADVERTISEMENT

JMU Employee Appreciation Day at Robins Stadium

Local fast-food restaurants will be closed, and pizza deliveries will be suspended, so area JMU grads can attend.

Reactions: Spidermaniac
They are Dillweeds! The #1 Dill is HyperDuke!
JMad03 claims we built a smaller stadium because of JMU fans! What an idiot! Richmond built a smaller stadium because the City of Richmond would not issue the required permit to build a larger stadium. Also there is no sane justifiable reason to build a larger facility for a school of 3000 undergrads.

JMad03 claims we built a smaller stadium because of JMU fans! What an idiot! Richmond built a smaller stadium because the City of Richmond would not issue the required permit to build a larger stadium. Also there is no sane justifiable reason to build a larger facility for a school of 3000 undergrads.

Wait wait wait... you're saying you guys tried to build a larger stadium but the city said no, so instead you built a smaller stadium on campus? If there's no sane justifiable reason then why did you ask the city for the permit?

For those of you non-delusional Richmond fans (Mojo, Mo), good luck out there tomorrow. I'm not as confident as everyone else seems to be. I think KJ is going to have a day.

Wait wait wait... you're saying you guys tried to build a larger stadium but the city said no, so instead you built a smaller stadium on campus? If there's no sane justifiable reason then why did you ask the city for the permit?

For those of you non-delusional Richmond fans (Mojo, Mo), good luck out there tomorrow. I'm not as confident as everyone else seems to be. I think KJ is going to have a day.

A permit from the City of Richmond was required to build the stadium due to part of the campus being located in the city. Also there is no room on the campus to build a 22k seat stadium. Finally, with a student body of 3000 undergrads there is no reason to build such a large stadium. Back in the late 1990s the city announced that it was exploring the idea of finding different use of the land occupied by City Stadium/UR Stadium. While the facility carried the UR name, the university never owned it. The univetsity leased it from the city for $1.00 a year! That's right, one buck! The university paid for the maintainance of the facility. Faced with the real possibility of the demolition of the stadium by the city, the university realized it needed to build its own facility.

Yes the city said we could not build a stadium that seats more than the Robins Center. and yes we did ask for more seats it was denied. Local residence who often take advantage the campus, walking trails, gym membership etc. Didn't want the additional traffic.... for 6 Saturdays a year they didn't want the additional traffic or really the stadium...Pathetic.

Reactions: urfan1

Well there might be a reason if you got more than 4000 fans at a game. I think Highland Springs High School gets 3,500 on Friday night with an enrollment of about 1700. Face it you're a basketball school with "mixed" results.

Our stadium size holds up pretty well on a capacity/enrollment ratio. Bridgeforth would have to hold >55K to achieve the same proportion.

Well there might be a reason if you got more than 4000 fans at a game. I think Highland Springs High School gets 3,500 on Friday night with an enrollment of about 1700. Face it you're a basketball school with "mixed" results.
The University of Richmond is hardly an after thought with the general Richmond population. The support that the university receives is from local alumni, whose numbers are declining due most of them coming from the age 65 and over crowd. As far as college basketball support, in the Richmond area it is VCU that sells out home games. UR very seldom sells out its basketball games. As for college football, most Richmond area folks follow ACC schools UVA and VaTech. Considering these factors, The University of Richmond does fairly well in support from the few number of local alumni.

Why are you here JMU DLS? Is it more fun to show how classless you are than to yuck it up with your buds on your own message board?

Did the city cause you to downsize the current stadium by taking out seats in the end zone? JMU is not looking to take available seats from it's current stadium.

I'll wait for your response.

Reactions: eagle727272
Did the city cause you to downsize the current stadium by taking out seats in the end zone? JMU is not looking to take available seats from it's current stadium.

I'll wait for your response.
I’m not sure who beats a dead horse better. FRS and his get off my lawn rants (he doesn’t represent us,) or JMU fans who obsess about our stadium size and attendance. I went to the Ur jmu game last year and that oversized aluminum can was half full at best. Take out the 600 person band and the students and it wouldn’t of been much more than yesterday’s game.

I think the truth of it is a lot of Richmond area JMU fans are band wagoners and don’t want to make the 2 hour drive from hburg to watch their team play and are pissed they can’t go watch the game at City stadium. I know because several of them called me whining about tickets this week and if I could get them any. When I asked why not drive up to hburg for a game they said they didn’t want to waste an entire day going to a JMu game. I’ve been to more JMU games during their run then they have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: whampas
went to the Ur jmu game last year and that oversized aluminum can was half full at best. Take out the 600 person band and the students and it wouldn’t of been much more than yesterday’s game.

Bahahha

giphy.gif

I’m not sure who beats a dead horse better. FRS and his get off my lawn rants (he doesn’t represent us, he wouldn’t even get into UR today) or JMU fans who obsess about our stadium size and attendance. I went to the Ur jmu game last year and that oversized aluminum can was half full at best. Take out the 600 person band and the students and it wouldn’t of been much more than yesterday’s game.

I think the truth of it is a lot of Richmond area JMU fans are band wagoners and don’t want to make the 2 hour drive from hburg to watch their team play and are pissed they can’t go watch the game at City stadium. I know because several of them called me whining about tickets this week and if I could get them any. When I asked why not drive up to hburg for a game they said they didn’t want to waste an entire day going to a JMu game. I’ve been to more JMU games during their run then they have.
Scanned attendance last year was 24,586. Hilarious that you have to just make stuff up about our attendance to make yourself feel better. JMU led the FCS in average attendance last year.

Scanned attendance last year was 24,586. Hilarious that you have to just make stuff up about our attendance to make yourself feel better. JMU led the FCS in average attendance last year.
Look, JMU is great in all things. You beat us, yours is bigger than ours, yadda, yadda, yadda. Go worry about Elon, another private school whose thingy dingy isn't as big as yours. And by the way, your colors are still purple and yellow.

Reactions: SpiderRick

I don't see many Richond students coming to the games anyway.

Reactions: WP02alum
Do they scan tickets in the parking lot to? Because that's the only way it was that much. Was there myself and saw it with my own eyes. Schools rarely report scanned tickets vs. paid tickets. Hilarious, mention attendance or stadium with you guys is like throwing up a bat signal.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/college-footballs-growing-problem-empty-seats-1535634001

No need to recount your experiences asking women out on here. Of course Wawa inst the best place to pick up women.

Yawn. We need a new rival. Spatter smack talk is as weak and predictable as Spatter defense. Enjoy the rest of your miserable season.

Yawn. We need a new rival. Spatter smack talk is as weak and predictable as Spatter defense. Enjoy the rest of your miserable season.
That works for me. You should try Albany maybe. You have a lot in common, big state supported school, colors are purple and yalla, both have cartoon dogs for mascots. Yep, I think that works.

Our rival is now and has always been for more than 100 years, William and Mary. Madison is/was a second nay third rate girls school.

Our rival is now and has always been for more than 100 years, William and Mary. Madison is/was a second nay third rate girls school.

If you're beaten ... nay crushed .. by a second ... nay ... third rate girl's school, aren't you really describing yourself?

Reactions: WP02alum
On one hand, I find it hard to talk smack with a main rival that just beat the crap out of our team by more than 50 points. On the other hand, if we beat W&M, in Laycock's last game, it will be a successful season. On to Delaware.

Reactions: Ulla1
Sounds like a marketing problem. Richmond is closer to major population than JMU. People from Richmond (much larger population) can get there easy. They have to drive 2 hours to JMU. Same for Northern VA, or Roanoke. Tidewater is 4 hours to JMU. Many come. Why can't they come to Richmond?
Harrisonburg/Rockingham County has a population around 100,000.
Top speed for a tractor is about 25 mph.

Reactions: KE Spider
On one hand, I find it hard to talk smack with a main rival that just beat the crap out of our team by more than 50 points. On the other hand, if we beat W&M, in Laycock's last game, it will be a successful season. On to Delaware.
Beating Laycock when he is down is not an accomplishment. Beat Delaware and/or Elon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT