ADVERTISEMENT

Jamal Brunt

No doubt, but what else do we have to judge our recruiters on than how they players they recruit turn out? Some have become very solid players, but there's also a high percentage that didn't work out here in the past 4 years. Coming off a Sweet 16, I would have thought we could have stepped up our recruiting game a bit. If Brunt was in charge of it, I just think his results were mediocre.

What if we look at the move by Jamal from a different point of view - does it seem strange he would get up and leave UR at this point. Assuming he has no ties to Miami, why leave a program that you have climbed all the way from Director of Operations to the number 2 man as Associate Head Coach, with a team that by all indications should be strong next season and make the NCAA tourney. Do that - and possibly you could get a head coaching job somewhere (ala McGeehan at Campbell?).

I know going back to my original theory for coaches - its all about money, and the same is true for assistant coaches - as I am sure Miami is able to pay more for their assistants. But do you think long term - the gamble might have been better staying at UR - making another NCAA tourney and applying for head jobs (as is the next step for all assistants), or do you think its better to be at Miami for a few years, hope they make an NCAA tourney or two - and go from there?

Originally posted by SpiderTrap:

But do you think long term - the gamble might have been better staying at UR - making another NCAA tourney and applying for head jobs (as is the next step for all assistants), or do you think its better to be at Miami for a few years, hope they make an NCAA tourney or two - and go from there?
From a career trajectory standpoint, i think having more diverse experience stands out. Good move by Jamal.

Thats true Molivia - I think getting out from under the Mooney realm and Princeton style might help long term as well. Not to mention - it does not hurt working for a guy who went to the final four and took Miami to the NCAA tourney as a #1 seed.

The opening on Miami's staff occurred because one of its assistants got the head coaching job at Bowling Green. So, I'd say he will have head coaching opportunities too one day if his trajectory continues.

Gary Rich, transfer from Ohio State, was one of my favorite players, Sure he may have been a fouling machine who didn't score much but he was a great enforcer and designated fouler. We could have used him a number of times in recent memory where an opponent was pushing us around and not getting called for fouls.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT