ADVERTISEMENT

Jack Graham - 2023 Walk-On Commit

Fair to say a guy with half a dozen DI offers and a previous DI commitment would be well above our usual walk-on caliber.

Again, I'd be surprised if that's the case, but looking more possible based on JOC. Would think he's gotten that info from a reliable source.

not supposed to. that's looked at pretty closely.
Not really an issue if he has the academic stats to support it. Pretty high bar at UR though. And if you get one, your first obligation is obviously to your grades, not basketball.

Reactions: UR80sfan
decommitted with the coaching change (not unusual) and clearly blew up with a 23/4/4 NEPSAC A championship game (6 3's) and a 42 point semi game (11 3's). grew late.

NEPSAC is great ball. AAA are the monster teams, but going 29-2 in A and being named Class A POY is nothing to sneeze at.

Graham added a bunch of PL level offers recently. clearly a big time shooter and has a handle. dunks easily ... which doesn't prove lateral athleticism ... but supposedly a good defender. I like the signing even if I didn't see another guard as a position of need. we need shooting. and this is a 4 year guy. welcome to Richmond, Jack!

tons of talent in NEPSAC.
That's the key, Sman. Looks like a 4 year guy who should get better and better. We aren't playing 11-13 guys this year, so no big deal at all if he doesn't get time this year.

Reactions: UR80sfan
It was a legitimate question. We've had plenty of these happen before, a kid on no one's radar posts that he has committed to us. Usually it ends up that he is a walk-on. Sorry that I asked a question.
You called him Kovien, which in your cute little way, takes a cheap shot at not one, but now two, Spiders. I'm sure with all your great basketball talent, you were much better than both of them, right? Find some class at some point.

Reactions: regatw
I like how the answer to his question about scholarship vs. walk-on looks like it was a very relevant one, and yet you got on him about it.

On the flip side, I didn't love the Kovien comparison post. There's good reason to be at least a little concerned when we clearly look like a kid's best offer. But Dominaus only had one other reported offer (Tennessee-Martin), so Graham with a decently long list really isn't on that same scale. And if he actually is a walk-on, then it completely changes things.

Reactions: UR80sfan and Zeeter
Yep, seems odd that he would be a walk on. The class A POY is very impressive in my mind. I understand that the level of players varies year to year, but in general this is a very high level league chock full of D1 guys on most teams.

Fair to say a guy with half a dozen DI offers and a previous DI commitment would be well above our usual walk-on caliber.

Again, I'd be surprised if that's the case, but looking more possible based on JOC. Would think he's gotten that info from a reliable source.
I guess this could be seen as a positive sign in terms of filling the other scholarship openings. Maybe Jack gets an upgrade if there is an open spot. I still feel like going the development route plays more to Mooney’s strengths as compared to looking for 1 year contributors. In general, it looked like the portal list was getting to the “roster filling” point versus getting possible difference makers. Why waste a scholarship on a one year marginal contributor instead of a possible 4 year player?

Why waste a scholarship on a one year marginal contributor instead of a possible 4 year player?
Better to fill a scholarship with a one-year marginal contributor than a four-year marginal contributor. Then you get to try again the next year without having to "force" a guy out.

I like how the answer to his question about scholarship vs. walk-on looks like it was a very relevant one, and yet you got on him about it.

On the flip side, I didn't love the Kovien comparison post. There's good reason to be at least a little concerned when we clearly look like a kid's best offer. But Dominaus only had one other reported offer (Tennessee-Martin), so Graham with a decently long list really isn't on that same scale. And if he actually is a walk-on, then it completely changes things.
A relevant question, except for the fact that he made his Kovien post less than 30 minutes later, making his 1st comment exactly what it was, another typical EL post, showing exactly the type of person he is.

Updated the thread title based on JOC's report. As others have said, this is clearly a high-caliber walk on based on our standards. Curious if that means we still are trying to bring in 2 or more players from the portal. This is going to look like a very new team next year if TB doesn't come back.

Waiting for GCarter’s indignant critical reply to himself for his previous comments. I love the offseason.
I am not indignant, i have been a Spider inside and out since 1975 when I enrolled at UR and when a manager of the basketball team when I graduated in 1978. By the way, I was in school with JOC.

Damn, life comes at you fast.

So let’s see, I asked a legitimate question, was immediately blasted by the guy who obviously played basketball at a very high level and enjoyed tremendous success (since evidently that’s the only way you can engage in thoughtful discussion about the sport), made a joke about our poor late spring recruiting history, was subsequently criticized for singlehandedly ruining the best day of someone's life, then labeled multiple times as a horrible person by someone who doesn’t know me, and in the end had my initial curiosity about this recruiting situation validated by facts. What an afternoon!

(And I'll save him the keystrokes, since I'm sure the next post will criticize me for making it all about myself.)

So let’s see, I asked a legitimate question, was immediately blasted by the guy who obviously played basketball at a very high level and enjoyed tremendous success (since evidently that’s the only way you can engage in thoughtful discussion about the sport), made a joke about our poor late spring recruiting history, was subsequently criticized for singlehandedly ruining the best day of someone's life, then labeled multiple times as a horrible person by someone who doesn’t know me, and in the end had my initial curiosity about this recruiting situation validated by facts. What an afternoon!

(And I'll save him the keystrokes, since I'm sure the next post will criticize me for making it all about myself.)
Would you rather someone who knows you comment on whether or not you are a horrible person? I'll stand-by.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that you have had a productive day. Take the rest of the day and have a cold one!

• Haha
Reactions: 8legs1dream
It could have been that his offers were PWO as well. And maybe he believes in his abilities to turn that PWO into a full scholarship, maybe its an instance of the staff beating out lower level programs for a guy as we should when given the chance, all those could be positives.

Reactions: Eight Legger
I am going to go out on a limb and say that you have had a productive day. Take the rest of the day and have a cold one!
If you are referring to me, no I don't know you but simply talking about what you said. Oh , you are the only one that can criticize (if I am wrong please correct me).

No, my next post will criticize you for being you on here. You may be the nicest guy around off the board, and if so, that makes your actions on here that much worse because you know better, and just choose to be a.......well, you choose to not be very nice.

And, yes, if a guy commits to us, it could be the happiest day of his life, and I think it would suck to log on to our board, see that a poster called you Kovien part 26, and then look up Kovien and see he scored 0 career points in 2 career games. Not cool at all, but it is who you are on here. For whatever reason, you get enjoyment out of things like that.

Please clear all questions with VT in the future to make sure they are board appropriate 🤣
Calling someone Kovien part 26 less than 30 minutes after asking the so called legitimate question is maybe appropriate for this board considering what usually gets posted on here, but it sure is a terrible, disrespectful, and disgusting thing to say.

Don't pretend like all EL did was ask the first question. He is the one who said Kovien part 26 less than 30 minutes after that.

Better to fill a scholarship with a one-year marginal contributor than a four-year marginal contributor. Then you get to try again the next year without having to "force" a guy out.
Disagree. First, you can’t say what type of contributor the high school player will be. Could be marginal, but the staff is supposed to find players with potential. Just looking at the championship video, it seems like this player shows he can shoot and has at least some athleticism, both which the Spiders obviously need. The dregs of the portal are players that have been in college programs for 4 years (due to Covid rule) and have very little output. Giving a scholarship to one of these guys is the equivalent of buying a lottery ticket - yes someone wins but it probably isn’t you. Plus with the new transfer rules I think it is so much simpler for a player to leave on his own accord. I doubt there is any “force” required.

In any case, the Spiders get a chance to see his play firsthand and don’t have to use a scholarship - a definite win. Academic profile obviously helped this time around.

Reactions: spider23
I don't think we're that much in disagreement. If a four-year guy has potential, yeah, you'd rather have him. We just have a history of taking guys (both one-year and four-year) where potential has been pretty questionable from day one.

But yes, none of that applies here...think Jack has some potential and he's not using a 'ship anyway, so win-win as far as the program goes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT