ADVERTISEMENT

Jack Graham - 2023 Walk-On Commit

maybe the board negativity is getting to me, but I'm currently doubtful that we'll land 3 more guys in June or later with better tape than Graham.

Reactions: PASpider
While Jack will probably get a scholarship this season, walk on status may come with the understanding that his scholarship may be used on another player in future seasons.

maybe the board negativity is getting to me, but I'm currently doubtful that we'll land 3 more guys in June or later with better tape than Graham.
To balance that out, I am certain we will land 3 guys in July better than Tyler. That should help….

I think it is sone retired guy named Dirk…
gotta start recruiting those kids early!
Max-Family.jpeg

Welp, funny enough, at my local Big Y grocery store in CT yesterday evening, I got some information right at the end of a conversation, that suggests that both sides of the great "Jack Graham Walk On vs Scholarship" Debate may be right. Guy I was talking to is pretty tied into to hoop circles, two scholarship player sons, both played/playing in NEPSAC.
We had a conversation about hoops for about 20 minutes, and right at the end, as his wife is pulling him through the check out line, I said Richmond got a NEPSAC guy - Jack Graham - walk on. He replied, yes, he had several lower D1 offers - Richmond gave him a "two for four" deal. Then he had to go before I could confirm what that meant. I took it as he would get two years of scholarship for 4 years.
The great debate goes on :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Welp, funny enough, at my local Big Y grocery store in CT yesterday evening, I got some information right at the end of a conversation, that suggests that both sides of the great "Jack Graham Walk On vs Scholarship" Debate may be right. Guy I was talking to is pretty tied into to hoop circles, two scholarship player sons, both played/playing in NEPSAC.
We had a conversation about hoops for about 20 minutes, and right at the end, as his wife is pulling him through the check out line, I said Richmond got a NEPSAC guy - Jack Graham - walk on. He replied, yes, he had several lower D1 offers - Richmond gave him a "two for four" deal. Then he had to go before I could confirm what that meant. I took it as he would get two years of scholarship for 4 years.
I am going to say his chances of an athletc scholarship this season are slim…

Maybe 2 years as walk on then 2 years on scholarship would cut down on transfers?

Reactions: urfan1
Get those 2 years upfront and then transfer in the portal?

Who the heck knows. Seems like with the way we are recruiting wings now there is not a ton of space left for wings in the near future. But to Mite's point, does not seem like there is an actual scholarship left this year. Maybe 97 is spot on, kind of leave them out there for future years to ensure we have an experienced shooter ready if we get raided in the portal. Not much re-assurance for the player, but as someone noted the $ may not be a big issue. I had not heard the "two for four" deal before. On a side note, this guy's son is the one that committed to Iona. He said his son had some interest from Richmond, but never progressed beyond that.

very strange agreement. that's virtually a partial scholarship, which isn't allowed in hoops.

No idea if this is accurate or not. But sman, you always see guys that are walkons get rewarded for a year. Peter Thomas. Guys at every school. Don't see why it couldn't be prenordained to play 2 as walk on, and then be on scholarship for 2.

No idea if this is accurate or not. But sman, you always see guys that are walkons get rewarded for a year. Peter Thomas. Guys at every school. Don't see why it couldn't be prenordained to play 2 as walk on, and then be on scholarship for 2.

Hey 23, is 2 for 4 better than your 0 for 5 plan?

Let's see Gkiller, I am in midst of the 0 for 12 scholarship plan for my kids, so I think 2 for 4 is not that bad.

It was just a made up dig on your own 0 for 5 career at U of R. Either over your head or a poorly constructed joke.

& I’d take 2 for 4 too. Think I’m likely heading to 0 for 12. And I’m only at 0 for 1. Have a kid at U of TN now. Screw this painful mid major crap lol. If the Spids let me down maybe I can find just a little bit of solace in the Vols. Normally I rely on Schadenfreude w other teams.

guess so. I just never thought walkons getting a scholarship later was preordained. thought it was more a reward for the few that got playing time or just situational where there was an open scholarship.

It's a leap of faith for Graham. No way we can actually guarantee him those scholie years, if they were in fact promised, and in theory, no way to guarantee Mooney would be here to honor them anyway. (Hey, I did say "in theory...")

Reactions: spider23
yeah, in theory every scholarship is year-to-year with no quarantees for the next year.
what do you do if he never earns a minute of time his 1st 2 years?

Lets not go crazy. He had low D1 offers at best from what we have heard, so chances are - he is at walk on level for A10. Maybe he turns into a Peter Thomas and by the end of his career works his way into minutes. But if we are planning on 2 for 4 deals cause we might need a walk on to play major minutes at some point - we got bigger problems.

Lets not go crazy. He had low D1 offers at best from what we have heard, so chances are - he is at walk on level for A10. Maybe he turns into a Peter Thomas and by the end of his career works his way into minutes. But if we are planning on 2 for 4 deals cause we might need a walk on to play major minutes at some point - we got bigger problems.
Most walk ons don't have D1 offers, so I think this makes him a bit different. Obviously, we think he has a skill set that we think we can develop to play A-10 ball. I'm going to give Mooney some credit here, for thinking outside the box. He may not develop, true, and we might be stuck with a guy for 2 years on schollie that we don't want, but from where I stand, it is a good gamble to make.

And all of that, we obviously don't want numerous guys on our roster with the same type of deal.

Most walk ons don't have D1 offers, so I think this makes him a bit different. Obviously, we think he has a skill set that we think we can develop to play A-10 ball. I'm going to give Mooney some credit here, for thinking outside the box. He may not develop, true, and we might be stuck with a guy for 2 years on schollie that we don't want, but from where I stand, it is a good gamble to make.

And all of that, we obviously don't want numerous guys on our roster with the same type of deal.
I have no problem with getting a "preferred" type walk on, or even given scholarships when available to a walk on. But I think we are already making statements - for a walk on guy, albeit with low D1 offers - turning into a key player for UR in a few years. Lets not get ahead of ourselves. Its almost like we are trying to hit the transfer portal before the player hits the portal. By that I mean - normally, you would think guy like this would go Low D1 and if he shines or plays well - then moves up to mid-major or major level. We are skipping that step with him and just taking him immediatley under Walk-On status with scholarship it seems.

Seems to me that no one here knows the whole story on this situation, so it's all just speculation at this point unless or until something is ever made public.

Glad to have Jack as part of the Spider family and I hope we get to see him on the court during his time here.

At 78k per year, not many quality walk-ons.. I applaud staff for being creative, hopefully added some performance standards,

Reactions: gospidersgo
It was just a made up dig on your own 0 for 5 career at U of R. Either over your head or a poorly constructed joke.

& I’d take 2 for 4 too. Think I’m likely heading to 0 for 12. And I’m only at 0 for 1. Have a kid at U of TN now. Screw this painful mid major crap lol. If the Spids let me down maybe I can find just a little bit of solace in the Vols. Normally I rely on Schadenfreude w other teams.
My kid is in school in Nashville, I may be switching allegiances also. 😂

very strange agreement. that's virtually a partial scholarship, which isn't allowed in hoops.
I know hoops is a head count sport. Hadn't thought about it before, but...
Could you give 12 and a half scholarships, as long as no one got the other half?
Not that anyone would try that...

I know hoops is a head count sport. Hadn't thought about it before, but...
Could you give 12 and a half scholarships, as long as no one got the other half?
Not that anyone would try that...
can't give partials in hoops or football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT