ADVERTISEMENT

Jack Graham - 2023 Walk-On Commit

If you are referring to me, no I don't know you but simply talking about what you said. Oh , you are the only one that can criticize (if I am wrong please correct me).
Well for sure you are replying to the wrong person and I was not referring to you.

Happy hunting!

• Haha
Reactions: 8legs1dream
Hard to know what to make of this. He seems better than a typical walk-on, but I don’t think you can ever really expect meaningful contributions from a walk-on, either. At least not in the first few years. Hopefully I haven’t ruined anyone’s life by saying that.

Maybe its contingent for this season. Like, if we do not fill all of the three (or two) slots, the scholly is yours. If we find guys in the portal that we need, you will be a walk on - preferred obviously.
very possible. I could see him ending up on scholarship in this class.
which would make JOC's tweet a shame. once you get that stigma of a walk-on, it's tough to shake.

Reactions: spider23
If we don't start landing some more transfers, all of our walk-ons can have scholarships.
I think that was the wink and nod to Graham. We are going to bring you on as a walk-on but it is the end of May and we have 3 open scholarships which in all likelihood we aren't going to fill, so look for Graham to get a scholarship sometime later this summer.

Reactions: PalmTreeSpidUR
agree. he may be good enough to deserve one anyway, as his other offers suggest. if he can shoot it, he can make a case.

everyone has to be good enough and ready to play next year at this point.

Reactions: gospidersgo
I think that was the wink and nod to Graham. We are going to bring you on as a walk-on but it is the end of May and we have 3 open scholarships which in all likelihood we aren't going to fill, so look for Graham to get a scholarship sometime later this summer.
for Graham's sake, I wish JOC kept that in his pocket until it's over.
walk on status hasn't been mentioned anywhere else.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
Rivals says he had offers from W&M, Holy Cross, and FAU, plus several Ivy equivalents.

JOC is just doing this job. We could and should have done a better job of communicating out the commitment.
agreed. but perhaps whoever gave him the info should have held off on the walk-on status if that's not in stone. though I guess maybe it is.

Haven't jumped into this thread but a bit of internet research suggests to me this is a kid as a few folks suggested who probably is strong academically and comes from a family who can afford UR and likely won't qualify for Financial aid. Suspect Jack is looking forward to not only Spider basketball but a UR degree over the other schools that have been mentioned. Might be sort of similar to a top recent football recruit who was the son of a work friend of mine who is a long-term partner at a large consulting firm. His son received 20+ offers including UR and I think a few true D1 but ultimately decided to play FB at Harvard even though almost certain he's paying for a full ride.

Ah maybe JackDad will join SpiderDad soon on the forum and we can ask him :)

Last edited:
I guess anything is possible. but yes, some will choose Harvard over a ride. that's a lifetime of benefits with that Rolodex.

maybe I'm selling UR short these days, but I don't think most consider it substantially better than Lafayette, Northeastern or Holy Cross. and it's still certainly not Harvard.

Reactions: Zeeter and spider23
I guess anything is possible. but yes, some will choose Harvard over a ride. that's a lifetime of benefits with that Rolodex.

maybe I'm selling UR short these days, but I don't think most consider it substantially better than Lafayette, Northeastern or Holy Cross. and it's still certainly not Harvard.
Not Harvard but yes hope we fair better than at least Lafayette and Holy cross and High point where he opted out of …

Reactions: Eight Legger
Not Harvard but yes hope we fair better than at least Lafayette and Holy cross and High point where he opted out of …
academically? those are pretty good schools he's turning down a ride from.

it's strange. I'm sure he had top academic D3's all over him ... yet he took the High Point offer. so it would seem he's more interested in playing D1 (on a ride) than going to the best school he can get into.
but now he's going to walk on at UR instead of a Pattriot League ride?

Reactions: Section9.RowD
academically? those are pretty good schools he's turning down a ride from.

it's strange. I'm sure he had top academic D3's all over him ... yet he took the High Point offer. so it would seem he's more interested in playing D1 (on a ride) than going to the best school he can get into.
but now he's going to walk on at UR instead of a Pattriot League ride?
You may likely have more perspective than me on this. I’m a south Ga born kid and don’t know the NE schools very well other than the Ivy’s and a few others …

Seems like maybe he wanted to come south. Committed to High Point and switched to us despite the Northeast schools' offers.

UR press release on Graham. Does not address whether he's a scholarship or walk-on player, but at this point just give him a 'ship for next year at least.

Not sure if I'm reading too much into this, but I don't think the school has made press releases for recent walk-on players. I couldn't find one for Arizin, Southall, Weaver, Kulju, or Gaitley. Could be a hint?

Reactions: CarolinaSpider
JOC sticking to his guns. didn't mention him at all in his latest column. said we have 2 incoming freshmen in Smith and Tanner.

Not sure if I'm reading too much into this, but I don't think the school has made press releases for recent walk-on players. I couldn't find one for Arizin, Southall, Weaver, Kulju, or Gaitley. Could be a hint?
I feel like we've done press releases on other walk-ons before, seem to remember a write-up on Southall.

The whole thing is odd, they could have easily given this kid a scholarship given our situation (I'm glad they didn't if they didn't have too). We certainly have brought in many players that were more lightly recruited than him.

It says he signed. Walk ons don't sign anything as far as I'm aware so looks like he got a ship.

Walk-ons don't sign a letter of intent, but they usually sign something for show. And sometimes as a preferred walk-on there's some paperwork from the school outlining that they have a spot on the roster.

But yes, the mere fact they put out a press release does suggest he's on scholarship. 🤷🏼‍♂️

the whole thing is bizarre. we're trying to fill 3 scholarship spots, we find a guy who has 7 offers ... and he supposedly agrees to walk on? that made no sense, but JOC confirmed it. if it was tied to Burton coming back and now he's on a ship, you'd think SOMEONE in our program would have straightened that out with JOC immediately, no?

Reactions: gospidersgo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT