ADVERTISEMENT

Ian Schieffelin - 2021

He reminds me of a player in 80s, Joe John who could jump out of gym
and was around 6’7”. Had potential but think Tarant coaching style was
not conducive to him.

Ian is quite different from TJ and Grant; high motor, good shooter, very aggressive. Hope we get him.
the high motor is why I compared. more like TJ size-wise and with his inside moves, bouncier than both. looks like a shooter but tough to tell from highlights.
I'm very excited we're in Ian's final 5. two good ones so far. need a really strong class and Ian is a really strong prospect.

Reactions: urfan1
Carolina, pretty good comparison, Joe Jon was a phenom for us for about half a season. Big time athlete. I think Ian is close as an athlete, but looks to have more skill and higher bball IQ already. This is a guy that would be a great fit and get for us. Add him and Hicks and Mooney nailed it.
Was Senior night 1990 his game against W&M with all the blocks? Including one with his abdomen?

Remember watching Joe Jon in HS and thought this kid has some serious hops,
but he played on a run and gun team. Talked with him about15 minutes in dentist
office when he was home for Christmas. Nice young man but got impression Tarant
was really tough on him.

No doubt this is the player the team really needs. Always seem to get the guards needed, but getting quality post players has been more difficult.

Hopefully academics, a new practice facility, and a university that actually can plan for a pandemic gives the Spiders the nod.

Reactions: urfan1 and plydogg
Going to be tough get I believe. Take App State out (and obviously there is some connection so shouldn't drop them), and we have a 25 % chance. I think Grant and tech coach are very personable and persuasive, so U think our chances are probably more in the 15 % range. And yes RVA, there is always a greater number of food guards compared to bigs.

Reactions: plydogg
cut his list to 5 so it probably doesn't matter if he blows up now ... but he's blowing up as much as you can in this environment. MVP of Big Shots today.

Oh boy, here we go! Tough, tough competition on this one. I will go right to an "A" for Mooney on the 2021 class if we can land him. Critical piece, and a definitive hole in the roster following this year (viewing Burton as a wing), and would make a super two year run:
Guards - Wilson, Nelson
Guard / Wings - Dji, Dread
Forward - Ian
Big Man - Weir

Not as much buzz here for Schieffelin as there was for Hicks. It is because A) his mom is not tweeting out the communications from our staff B) Down to 5 schools vs Down to 2 with Hicks, C) Insider info is that he is/was leaning another direction D) Something else?

I think I am on record as calling this guy (or Larson mind you) my number one target. I actually think a much greater need than Hicks. Not to downplay Hicks, as the Missouri offer certainly validated him big time in my mind, but Hicks was a wing - and from the clips I saw was not inclined to attack the basket or battle on the interior - at all. From what I see from Ian he loves to attack the basket, has great size and athleticism, nice touch and a good shooter from range - but not in love with jacking up threes all day. Perfect get and could be an impact player from day one IMO.

Nothing to do but wait, but this would be super if he picks us.

If we are waiting until Monday to hear his announcement without some smoke signals coming forth, that would not be a good sign. Will be waiting for said smoke signals to pop up over the weekend.

Agree 97 - the lack of buzz and excitement - like there was for the Nelson announcement has me in the "hoping, but not expecting this to happen mode". Will be pumped if this happens, but for some reason expecting Clemson or Dayton. No inside info, just a gut feeling.

2 ACC football first schools
2 A-10 basketball first schools

Clemson is obviously closer to home and that may be the tie breaking factor these days.

This is the type of player UR has to get and the type of recruiting competition they have to beat. Hopefully Ian is interested in a small private school vs a large public one.

Btw 8, please refer to post 5 in this thread.

Reactions: urfan1
Agree 97 - the lack of buzz and excitement - like there was for the Nelson announcement has me in the "hoping, but not expecting this to happen mode". Will be pumped if this happens, but for some reason expecting Clemson or Dayton. No inside info, just a gut feeling.

I'm with you on this one. I was thinking Dayton (future quote: "they showed me how they can use me like Obi Toppin"), but 247 is usually accurate.

I really hope I'm wrong, but I've moved on to Saint and Gus Larson.

I haven't seen anything that puts Larson as high as Ian. I really think TJ and Grant tape is huge here and got us in the discussion. Ian has to love how he'd be used here.

what would be great is he can play the 4 but also can play true 5 to compete with or backup Weir. Cayo is too small to really play 5 which relegates him to one spot. Ian isn't. he'd give us more flexibility.

Ian would be playing with Weir, Burton at the 3 - all day.

Just watching that short clip of Larson, he is big long, and can run the court like the wind. And skilled. Would be a tremendous get. BUT, his prep school has sent a super high % of players to the IVY league, and that seems to be our top competition now. I remember we were in final 4 for a PF from NMH, and Harvard beat us out. Mooney and assistants need to do a better job selling. Ian reminds me of the Grant Williams contest, top 5 but having a low confidence level. But I do hope I am wrong.

The last time I checked there were two Rivals FutureCast picks for Clemson for Ian Schieffelin. I made one this morning based on info from a source I have in South Carolina.

Thanks for stopping by Russ!! And also, thanks for the kick in the nuts!
Sorry my guy. Wish I had better news for you. Btw, what is your connection to First Love Christian Academy?

Their HC Khayree Wilson is a good guy.

No connection, just put that up for awhile since we signed 2020 Isaiah Wilson. No problem on the prediction, it seems are insiders on this board usually make some positive comments on recruits when we have a decent shot, but have heard zero on Ian so I am guessing the 24/7 and your sources would know more.

I guess Ian didn't get the word on the extension and went with the more secure Brad Brownell contract situation.

this is a tough one. Ian would have been a great fit. we were off to a strong start to this class but we've hit a wall. guess that means we're targeting the right guys. going to lose some when aiming high.

back to Larson, 23, it's been very quiet on his recruiting front. we offered a year ago and Penn is the only new offer since then. guys like Noyes are blowing up with new offers all the time. a 6'10" talent should be receiving more interest.

Is this official on Ian to Clemson? Seems like that is the trend with recruiting guys but just did a quick check and didn't see anything on his twitter yet?

Sman, Larson is an interesting one. When we had first offered I didn't really like the looks of what little tape was out there. And he was averaging about 1 point per game at NMH. BUT, he looks like he has filled out nicely and is a big 6'10 athlete. Certainly the IVY League has recruited well lately, and agree i am a bit surprised not some more p6 action or A10 action but I would certainly take him in this class 100%.

And agree with hitting the wall. We seemed to start with a bang - but as always the talented guys 6'8 or bigger are an issue to land. I know this is an issue for every mid major, landing talented big guys, but was hoping our off season/ pre season hype and momentum would carry forward. I will say I was thrilled with the Weir signing for 2020. I would really like to see a talented big guy to pair with him.

Let's face, it, when it comes to football, it's always going to be impossible for us to compete with Clemson for high-level recruits.

Wait, this is basketball? Well what in the actual f#!@

Let's face, it, when it comes to football, it's always going to be impossible for us to compete with Clemson for high-level recruits.

Wait, this is basketball? Well what in the actual f#!@
lol. personally ... Clemson would be high on my list of schools to attend if I was a younger man.

Replace "Clemson" with "any state school south of North Carolina" and you've said the same thing...

I've become a fake Clemson football fan because my son loves the color orange and latched onto them a few years ago. So we wear Clemson jerseys on gamedays sometimes. I'll be pretty bummed to lose a basketball recruit to them, however.

I'll be bummed too, but you do realize they've had some very strong years in basketball recently, right? they're not just a football power.

forget what I wrote above about backing up Weir. he's not as big as I thought. definitely a 4.

Honestly, I see the comp more to Harper, than TJ or Geriot. I think more aggressive attacking the hoop than those guys - at least high school comparison. Still haven't seen official announcement yet?

Been a busy day at work. Would be even more helpful if some of the other schools fans in the know could come and rub our noses in it beforehand to pass the time to the announcement quicker:):):)

I'll be bummed too, but you do realize they've had some very strong years in basketball recently, right? they're not just a football power.
Meh. They had a good year two years ago when Brownell brought in a bunch of guys to save his job, and it worked. Then an NIT berth and last year barely .500.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT