ADVERTISEMENT

Hopefully we can all celebrate this news!

whatever the price is, there's a "right" price. if you offer $1 drafts, it'll be an S-show. make it whatever it needs to be to be somewhat of a deterrent for excessive drinking at a family friendly place like the RC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I the only one that thinks $5 is cheap? Maybe it’s livong in Boston too long, but at the Garden and Fenway, beers are a minimum of $10. For reference, at BC game, the minimum (and only, as they only offer bud and bud light) is $8.

And I don’t believe the pricing is high to discourage drinking. It’s more that they’re the only option to drink in the stadium (other than sneaking in booze), so they know they can charge that high and people will still pay. Supply and demand and all that Jazz.

They’re not starting to offer booze at Richmond games hoping that people don’t buy them because they think they’re too expensive...
Agree, Nathan. Minimum $8 for a beer.

All except PBR in the can...
Hey, don't knock PBR. It won a blue ribbon and is as good or better than the Bud Lite swill that will invariably come out of the taps. Personally as a VCU fan (yes we are a bunch of barbarians) I want PBR and I want it now!

Am I the only one that thinks $5 is cheap? Maybe it’s livong in Boston too long, but at the Garden and Fenway, beers are a minimum of $10. For reference, at BC game, the minimum (and only, as they only offer bud and bud light) is $8.

And I don’t believe the pricing is high to discourage drinking. It’s more that they’re the only option to drink in the stadium (other than sneaking in booze), so they know they can charge that high and people will still pay. Supply and demand and all that Jazz.

They’re not starting to offer booze at Richmond games hoping that people don’t buy them because they think they’re too expensive...
And this is why they sell minis! Beer for $8 when I can pocket 4 of these little babies? I think not.

Hey, don't knock PBR. It won a blue ribbon and is as good or better than the Bud Lite swill that will invariably come out of the taps. Personally as a VCU fan (yes we are a bunch of barbarians) I want PBR and I want it now!
Well, if I have any say, it will be La Fin Du Monde.

But I don’t...

Reactions: SpiderDaMan
Because the lines to the men's room at the RC are too long already.

Wasn't the idea "floated" that the plan was to expand the Robins Center entrance facing Robins Stadium and build a new food court and add new restrooms? Any "joy" in that plan? Maybe Queally could push the idea?

Wasn't the idea "floated" that the plan was to expand the Robins Center entrance facing Robins Stadium and build a new food court and add new restrooms? Any "joy" in that plan? Maybe Queally could push the idea?
I thought it was the other side facing Pitt Field.

whatever the price is, there's a "right" price. if you offer $1 drafts, it'll be an S-show. make it whatever it needs to be to be somewhat of a deterrent for excessive drinking at a family friendly place like the RC.
Maryland sells beer at their football game. The cheapest beer is $8.00. That curtails a lot of folks.

We have done a great job with attendance for our basketball team.

In 2017, we had the 85th best attendance in the country

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/Reports/attend/2017.pdf

We also had the third highest attendance last year in the A10

https://richmondspiders.com/news/20...all-surging-towards-attendance-milestone.aspx

VCU fans or whoever can joke about our fan support all they want, but the numbers tell me we have a very loyal and consistent fanbase. This was also with no beer and with not winning much. The attendance can only go higher now with beer sales and more importantly (hopefully) more winning.

Liars figure and figures lie. I don't care what the statistics say, anyone who has attended a ur game in the past couple years knows that attendance is down. Ticket might be sold, but there are a lot of seats empty. I've been to games they claimed were near sellout. Really?

And for further proof- I bought season tickets to ur this year. First time season ticket holder. (I've bought the 4/5 package the last couple years) I was able to get 5th row between the baseline tickets (2). When I told the ticket office I was worried about getting good seats, the reply was- You won't have any problems the way tickets are selling this year.

Beer? It is the trend in college basketball. Look for an announcement at VCU soon. Some schools have been doing it for years. I went to a VCU game @ University of Nevada-Reno and they had waitresses serving you at your seat.

Liars figure and figures lie. I don't care what the statistics say, anyone who has attended a ur game in the past couple years knows that attendance is down. Ticket might be sold, but there are a lot of seats empty. I've been to games they claimed were near sellout. Really?

And for further proof- I bought season tickets to ur this year. First time season ticket holder. (I've bought the 4/5 package the last couple years) I was able to get 5th row between the baseline tickets (2). When I told the ticket office I was worried about getting good seats, the reply was- You won't have any problems the way tickets are selling this year.

Beer? It is the trend in college basketball. Look for an announcement at VCU soon. Some schools have been doing it for years. I went to a VCU game @ University of Nevada-Reno and they had waitresses serving you at your seat.

Are you saying we did not have the 85th best attendance in the country? I think it is a good idea to understand the entire landscape when when talking about something, analyzing things in a vacuum is pretty useless. It is very hard to argue that our attendance numbers have been better than most, which is impressive given team performance and school size..

I would have been happy just to have the Spider Club Terrace open all game and allow adult beverages to be sold.

For ALL Spider Club members, not just a select few....

I would have been happy just to have the Spider Club Terrace open all game and allow adult beverages to be sold.

For ALL Spider Club members, not just a select few....
Amen, and may get donors of all levels of giving, to feel more appreciated and
they may give more.

Reactions: SpiderRick
Are you saying we did not have the 85th best attendance in the country? I think it is a good idea to understand the entire landscape when when talking about something, analyzing things in a vacuum is pretty useless. It is very hard to argue that our attendance numbers have been better than most, which is impressive given team performance and school size..

Not at all. What I'm saying is that there is a difference in the ticket sales and attendance. Either can be manipulated.

As for understanding the entire landscape in college basketball, I think I have a good understanding. Most years I attend somewhere between 75 and 100 college basketball games. And I attend those games in a lot of different venues, including the RC. Last year I attended 5 at the RC. What I saw demonstrated to me that there is a difference in sales and persons in the seats.

UR, like most schools, reports all tickets sold as attending.

And I included in my comment above that I purchased seats between the baselines in row 5 of the RC of the 2018-19 year. I am a first time season ticket holder (at UR) and gave the bare minimum to the Spider Club. I did not donate tens of thousands of dollars to get those prime seats. That demonstrates to me what level of demand there is for tickets. I think UR does fine with the attendance they do get, given the market they are in and the product they offer.

Does anyone actually report turnstile? I doubt it. If they did, a sell out would be a unicorn and this includes your beloved rams. Sell out means no tickets avialable, not 100% asses in seats.

Reactions: fmrick and urfan1
Does anyone actually report turnstile? I doubt it. If they did, a sell out would be a unicorn and this includes your beloved rams. Sell out means no tickets avialable, not 100% asses in seats.

It doesn’t even mean no tickets available. It means the team has sold all their tickets. Secondary markets (stubhub, Ticketmaster, etc.) buy a plethora of seats from teams, hoping to sell them later. These “sales” count towards “sell outs” when teams are claiming they have a sell out game/streak.

It doesn’t even mean no tickets available. It means the team has sold all their tickets. Secondary markets (stubhub, Ticketmaster, etc.) buy a plethora of seats from teams, hoping to sell them later. These “sales” count towards “sell outs” when teams are claiming they have a sell out game/streak.

so the school gets their desired revenue?

VDU and JmU fans care way too much about our attendance figures. I think moreso than our own fans and especially our administrators. It’s like they tie their success of their schools to butts in the seats.

Not at all. What I'm saying is that there is a difference in the ticket sales and attendance. Either can be manipulated.

As for understanding the entire landscape in college basketball, I think I have a good understanding. Most years I attend somewhere between 75 and 100 college basketball games. And I attend those games in a lot of different venues, including the RC. Last year I attended 5 at the RC. What I saw demonstrated to me that there is a difference in sales and persons in the seats.

UR, like most schools, reports all tickets sold as attending.

And I included in my comment above that I purchased seats between the baselines in row 5 of the RC of the 2018-19 year. I am a first time season ticket holder (at UR) and gave the bare minimum to the Spider Club. I did not donate tens of thousands of dollars to get those prime seats. That demonstrates to me what level of demand there is for tickets. I think UR does fine with the attendance they do get, given the market they are in and the product they offer.
fmrick is a ram agitator but he makes a fair point here. Yes, our attendance looks good because we basically give a lot of tickets away either free or at drastically reduced prices to groups. Kids club is pretty much every game now, so you can bring you kids to game for free and how many school groups do we cheap tickets too, to fill seats and then those tickets are half utilized but still count in our attendance.

Also, believe the season ticket price at VCU is like $500 a seat with a $1500 "donation" buy in. You can pick up season tickets at UR for $175, no upfront buy in.

good for them. guess they need ever buck they can raise. I'm glad our are less expensive. that's a good thing for fans.

good for them. guess they need ever buck they can raise. I'm glad our are less expensive. that's a good thing for fans.
Yep. And everyone is going to complain loudly when it gets super popular and prices go up.

I think UR is doing an admirable job of getting tickets sold (at whatever price) and getting people to the games. I know lots of people who would have never gone to a UR game but actually like to go now because it's a good atmosphere, fun, and affordable.

Reactions: nathanw19
so the school gets their desired revenue?

Wasn’t quibbling over the school calling it a sell out from a revenue stand point. More that a sell-out doesn’t actually mean people have bought all the seats.

Also, not something specific to schools, but more of a venues selling tickets thing. The Red Sox clung to their “sell out” streak for years when you could buy a ticket the day before a game for $6 in the outfield.

We've done a great job convincing people that there are plenty of reasons to go to a UR basketball game in spite of the basketball. Parney would be proud.

VDU and JmU fans care way too much about our attendance figures. I think moreso than our own fans and especially our administrators. It’s like they tie their success of their schools to butts in the seats.
Sure doesn't hurt when the recruits come to watch...it's a big deal to have a big loud frenetic crowd. Yes, butts in the seats does equal success. It also means the school's name is even more in the spotlight. Anyone says this isn't a true statement doesn't get it.

Sure doesn't hurt when the recruits come to watch...it's a big deal to have a big loud frenetic crowd. Yes, butts in the seats does equal success. It also means the school's name is even more in the spotlight. Anyone says this isn't a true statement doesn't get it.
I’m sorry are you suggesting I implied that? All im saying is I don’t get why they care about OUR attendance issues. Of course it’s good to have people in the seats, but I also don’t care about other rivals attendance %.

Reactions: SpiderDaMan
I'm not complaining about the cost of our season tickets. It is a tremendously good value. That said, we all know we would charge more if we could and will if we start playing championship caliber ball again.

Reactions: nathanw19
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT