ADVERTISEMENT

Home and Home with NDSU

Stonewall D

Graduate Assistant
Dec 18, 2008
At home
IMHO, Richmond should return the favor with NDSU and invite them to a home and home series, with the first game to be played in the Robins Center.

Assume this is meant for the football board, cause really don't need to be playing home and homes with North Dakota St in hoops.

Reactions: Ulla1
Seems like this was meant to be hoops...us repaying them by beating them in our marquee sport. But nothing to gain here. NDSU had a good couple of years in hoops, making the tournament two years in a row and knocking off Oklahoma in 2014, but their terrible schedule makes it hard for them to look good, and no name recognition.

They're 8-3 so far this year but with an RPI around 150 because the schedule's been one of the weakest in all of D-I. And a Summit League conference schedule isn't going to help a ton.

Our Marquee sport is basketball? by what measure? Success? Tournaments?

because it's been our marquis sport since the 1980's no matter what we do at the 1AA/FCS level in football.

because it's been our marquis sport since the 1980's no matter what we do at the 1AA/FCS level in football.
Based on what? Our upsets in basketball 30+ years ago? We were in the top 3% of FCS programs in the country this year, To just make the top 20% in basketball you have to be in the field of 64 and it's been a few years since that happened.

If football were our marquee sport, our football coach – not our basketball coach – would have a 10-year/$12M contract.

OK since 2000 we've made 7 appearances in the FCS tournament and are 13-6 with a national championship. Basketball we've made 3 appearance and are 2 -3. I can' help it if we over pay Mooney.

I really didn't think I was making a controversial statement there...lol.

To the average sports fan around the country, our football program has zero relevance. Doesn't mean we shouldn't invest in it or take pride in their accomplishments, but it doesn't come close to our basketball program in terms of national prominence.

Agree 100%, SF. Love all of our teams and am proud of our accomplishments in football, but basketball has a much larger impact on recognition. Now, if you look at the Spiders playing at the highest level, i.e. NFL or NBA, clearly football has a larger impact post graduation. OSC

I started this somewhat tongue in cheek but the results speak for themselves we have had much greater success in Football vs. Basketball in the last 15 years. Football has a very impressive list of achievements. But what you're saying is name recognition means more than achievement. To some extent we're still living off our 30 year old giant killer reputation, especially with us older folks.

The fact is, we don't compete at the highest level of football. Love that we're doing well in FCS, but it's a different pond from the one our hoops program is swimming in.

I would venture to say that if we go to Texas and beat Texas Tech in basketball on Tuesday, more people will know about UR than knew about us from playing North Dakota State in football last week. Not saying that's good or bad, it just "is."

when we go out and beat an Alabama in football, then it'll be our flagship program.
as others have said ... proud of what we've done at the level we play at, but we compete against the best in hoops.

Wait - Bama's all time football record against us is 1 and 0 - they pasted us 66-0 on Veterans Day in 1961. We haven't scheduled them since and the highest probability is we won't.

Based on what? Our upsets in basketball 30+ years ago? We were in the top 3% of FCS programs in the country this year, To just make the top 20% in basketball you have to be in the field of 64 and it's been a few years since that happened.

I think this whole discussion is ridiculous, but...
What would it take for us to finish in the Top 3% of Division I football programs? Are we in the Top 20%?

Sagarin rates us right at #100 out of 253 D-I football programs.

I would like to see the Spiders defeat the Bison by 50+ in a basketball game.
We just played arguably one the worst Division 1 basketball teams in the country won by 30. I don't think we will beat anyone by 50 anytime soon.

And even if we beat them by 50, it still is a net loss for us RPI wise. Football and basketball are two different animals, they beat us in football good for them. As long as they are still located in North Dakota, I'd say the advantage is all ours.

Bottom line is that people outside of UR know is for our basketball team or our academics. Not many people follow FCS football, and I bet they couldn't tell you who won the past few FCS championships. We don't play at the highest level, and that means a lot no matter how good they are. If our baseball team won the last 15 DII championships in a row, it wouldn't make us a baseball school because nobody would care.

Would you give up the FCS Championship to go play in the Carmelia Bowl in Montgomery or the Go Daddy Bowl in Mobile?

"Old Spiders Club". At one point someone on the board stated that they had nothing in common with the older posters on this board. I started using OSC (I am over 60) to enable them to easily avoid my posts, thus not wasting their time with my antiquated ideas. Nothing personal. OSC

gcarter52, great to have a "youngster" such as you join the party! Best wishes for a joyous holiday, and healthy and happy New Year! OSC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT