ADVERTISEMENT

History of the UR ring

FrontRoyalSpider

Team Manager
Jun 20, 2011
I would like someone (perhaps the alumni magazine) to do an article on the history of our class ring.

My father's ring had Cannon Chapel on one side of the ring.
I understand that at one time, "RICHMOND COLLEGE", not University of Richmond, was on the top of the ring.
A friend of mine here in FR told me that her great aunt's Westhampton ring had a spider and web on sides of the ring.
Since the mid 1970s, a signet with the UR seal on the top was available.
The current signet has the university crest on the top.

An article, with pictures of these rings would be, I believe, very interesting.

FWIW, at one time a "University of Richmond" watch was also available!

I have a signet ring BA on one side, grad year on other seal, on top. I have two UR watches- one battery operated which I believe seal in gold on face ( doesn't run). And a wind up that was given as part of end of year letter award with I think the curved 1970s UR in red and swimming on face. It's my favorite but I just don't wear watches anymore.

my 1970 ring has Boatwright Library and lots of pine cones on it.

My ring also has Boatwright Library Tower on one side and the university seal on the opposite side. I really like the spider and web that is above the university seal. The year reads "1976" and the degree is "BA". The stone is synthetic Ruby (birthstone for July) and the Masonic Square and Compasses encrusted into the stone.

Over the years a lot of the detail has wore down. I wear my ring almost everyday.
I think I will contact Balfour and ask how much it would be to recast my ring.

I imagine an entire new ring is over one grand! My parents paid something like $125.00 for my ring back in the late spring of 1974.
This post was edited on 9/7 8:02 PM by FrontRoyalSpider

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT