ADVERTISEMENT

Hardt on Bob’s show Wednesday

I’m with you Ply. I truly believe we had the players to make the NCAA tournament every year since 2010. I feel for the guys who did not have the experience. I have no expectations which have slowly waned since 2011. Ply if you could go back in time to see a UR team under Tarrant, Belein and even Jerry with Belein’s players you just knew UR would play a hard fought tough game and/or you would see improvement. This wet paper bag punching every preseason with unbridled fantasy optimism is what it is. Keep the bar low, just like the administration, it’s much better for your personal health.

I have been very unhappy as a fan. Last year was absolutely badass but my freshman year started in 2012 and having to wait 9 and a half years to dance was an absolute joke. That’s fine if it’s ok with you and that’s your opinion but to those of us who want Richmond basketball to be more than a pathetic afterthought you really shouldn’t admonish us for having goals that are more than simply existing in the A10.

It’s fine if being mediocre is ok with you, but shooting to be in the top quadrant is where we should be every season. EVERY. SEASON. You don’t achieve your goals every season unless you’re Kansas but if we start out with a goal to be mediocre (and still fail) then what are we even doing here?

You’re not only gaslighting us but being completely disingenuous in doing so. You’re celebrating mediocrity. We should be ringing bells of shame while you walk down the aisle
I agree with your thinking. We have too many small thinkers as fans and certainly in the administration. I truly hope we have turned the corner and will do more than simply "compete" every year. But many in the fan base and leadership accept mediocrity. And while facilities and financially supporting the program are important, throwing money at a program doesn't neccisarily mean you are all in to win. Small thinking is a loser mentality. We can be so much better than 3 for 16. Like I say, I truly hope CM has turned the corner. We will see.

I was fine with the first few years after the sweet 16. We had just gone to the dance back to back, including the sweet 16, so I was more than content for awhile. And, we had put ourselves in decent shape to go dancing one of those first 3 years until Ced and his 18 PPG, 4 assists a game, 2 steals a game, and great senior leadership got hurt.

Then, the TJ years, we just missed in 2 of them, going 12-6 and 13-5 IC with a T-4 and T-3 finish, including being in the first 4 out. So, no, I wasn't down on our program those years at all. We had real good seasons in 2 of TJ's 3 years.

The 20 loss seasons were terrible. No way to make them look better. The Nick injury really hurt, but we still should have had more wins then. But, I did like our roster and believed in our coach and players, was looking forward to getting a healthy Nick back and seeing Blake, so I was glad when we kept Mooney. But, no doubt, we needed to be good in 2020 and we were real good. So, yes, I have been pretty happy as a fan, even through the tourney drought.

thx for response I still don’t know what your expectations were

Not one of those schools has the academic requirements of Richmond. And some are state supportEd.
You think like Hardt and Mooney the last 10 years. Maybe we should pack it in. 80sfan who is a professor and PQ's friend has stated on this board that restrictions on academics relating to recruiting have been lifted. Let's see results, not excuses.

Reactions: Spider B
2021? One of the most frustrating seasons ever? The one where a team literally packed up and flew home rather than play Richmond? 2020 sure, perfectly happy with that season. And extremely happy with the last 2 weeks of 2022, (first few months were pretty brutal tho - UR finished 8th in the A10 after preseason 2nd pick, if you recall and the Saint Josephs and VCU blowouts were excruciating.)

I thought we took first in the only A-10 competition that really mattered. Silly me.

I judge a season by where you finished, not how you got there. Four A-10 tournament wins and another in the NCAA tournament certainly negate a regular-season blowout or two by a factor of 10.

But that's just me. Obviously other's mileage varies.

Reactions: VT4700
I don’t know that we can count last season AND 2020 as NCAA seasons. Had there been an NCAA tourney in 2020, our super seniors would not have gotten an extra year, and thus last season’s NCAA run wouldn’t have happened. So we get to count one of them but not both, in my book at least.

I thought we took first in the only A-10 competition that really mattered. Silly me.

I judge a season by where you finished, not how you got there. Four A-10 tournament wins and another in the NCAA tournament certainly negate a regular-season blowout or two by a factor of 10.

But that's just me. Obviously other's mileage varies.
Yes Wood and look where St Joe’s finished. Blowouts are excruciating to witness but off nights happen to even
the best teams. Look how UNC started and ended.

I truly believe we had the players to make the NCAA tournament every year since 2010.
well that's obviously not the case. we had some very solid teams that didn't make it. that happens. there are a lot of programs fighting for 32 at-large bids.

but Mooney also had a bad stretch of recruiting where he had too many misses. those stretches led to two really bad years. but by then the foundation was set.

to me he's met expectations in recruiting the past 6 seasons or so. we've had strong teams the past 3 years. I'll take my chances with those rosters every year. same with our current roster even though we lost so much to graduation.

keeping Mooney after the 20 loss years may have been forced due to the contract. but the thinking that he had turned the ship around was correct.

well that's obviously not the case. we had some very solid teams that didn't make it. that happens. there are a lot of programs fighting for 32 at-large bids.

but Mooney also had a bad stretch of recruiting where he had too many misses. those stretches led to two really bad years. but by then the foundation was set.

to me he's met expectations in recruiting the past 6 seasons or so. we've had strong teams the past 3 years. I'll take my chances with those rosters every year. same with our current roster even though we lost so much to graduation.

keeping Mooney after the 20 loss years may have been forced due to the contract. but the thinking that he had turned the ship around was correct.
Let's see how this season turns out before we announce that the Mooney has turned the ship around. On the positive, we made the NCAA last year, won a game, and he seems to have some wind at this back with our recent recruits and success in the portal.

On the other side, had we not won 4 games in 4 days, last years team was gonna go down as probably the biggest disappoints in Mooney's decade of disappointment and we probably have a new coach.

I'm gonna see how we do this year before rendering verdict on Mooney and him have rediscovered his mojo. I don't need an NCAA this year (would like that), but this team has to be in at large contention and bubble conversations come March.

I don’t know that we can count last season AND 2020 as NCAA seasons. Had there been an NCAA tourney in 2020, our super seniors would not have gotten an extra year, and thus last season’s NCAA run wouldn’t have happened. So we get to count one of them but not both, in my book at least.
Never thought of it this way but your 100% right. If the NCAA tourney happened - even in a bubble scenario because of COVID - there would be no extra season, so they don't come back and make that run in the A10 tourney. That is probably the best way to look at it - we had 1 NCAA season - either the COVID season or the super senior year, but not both. Good point.

Let's see how this season turns out before we announce that the Mooney has turned the ship around.
I'm saying the ship was turned around with the Golden, Sherod, Buckingham class even if the record didn't reflect it right away. he followed that up with Cayo and Gilyard if I have my dates right. winning seasons after those classes were almost inevitable.

as for the NCAA seasons, I don't understand the reason for downplaying the success we've had two of the past 3 years. we had a great season in 2020 cut short. we would have danced unless we fell apart. and we danced last year. I enjoyed both seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Section9.RowD
I think the point is there is no credit for “would haves”. There was no tournament.

2020 was a great season with no post season.

2022 was an average season with a great post season.

I definitely enjoyed the 2020 season more. The Spiders played better. Last year was a letdown until the A10 tournament rolled around and Gilly realized it was now or never. Then the Spiders played the way many expected them to. Winning the A10 and a NCAA game was great for the program because the “next generation” now wants to prove they have what it takes too. Looking forward to this season.

I give credit for the "would have". that team won enough. they did what they needed to do. Covid stole their chance to dance but it doesn't erase their success.

Reactions: VT4700
Never thought of it this way but your 100% right. If the NCAA tourney happened - even in a bubble scenario because of COVID - there would be no extra season, so they don't come back and make that run in the A10 tourney. That is probably the best way to look at it - we had 1 NCAA season - either the COVID season or the super senior year, but not both. Good point.
We will never know how 2022 would have turned out had there been no covid. What we do know is we had 2 amazing seasons. 24-7 was an incredible year in 2020, and it does not get much better than winning the A-10 tourney and a 1st round NCAA tourney win last season.

Who knows? Maybe without covid, we get some transfers in here last year because we knew our seniors were gone. Or maybe a top recruit or two who wanted to play early would have come here because they saw a quicker chance for early playing time. Maybe Tyler, Goose, and Grace would have carried us to a tourney last year. Let's not forget, other teams had guys back too because of covid, but it was our team and our guys who went dancing.

Reactions: urfan1
I'm saying the ship was turned around with the Golden, Sherod, Buckingham class even if the record didn't reflect it right away. he followed that up with Cayo and Gilyard if I have my dates right. winning seasons after those classes were almost inevitable.

as for the NCAA seasons, I don't understand the reason for downplaying the success we've had two of the past 3 years. we had a great season in 2020 cut short. we would have danced unless we fell apart. and we danced last year. I enjoyed both seasons.
You are correct, Mooney's recruiting did pick up with Golden, Sherod, Buck class. His being able to translate that as to on the court success remains mixed. 2019 was great. 2020 was a disaster (Covid played a role in that), last year was supremely disappointing until our miracle run at the tournament.

From the rumors I heard, there was some locker room issues, team was not as tight as we were lead to believe and Mooney didn't do a lot to fix it. I'm hopeful that the new mix of players that is past us. I think Gilly willed the team during March and the team not being as tight as we all thought probably played a larger role in the in season underperformance.

No idea what the divisions were but hopefully with a new mix of players, the team really becomes a solid team this year.

This is one area of the transfer portal that I think a lot of coaches will have to navigate - adding new players, who may jump over current players. Do guys like Goose and Grace get passed over for minutes for incoming transfers? I could see that being a problem in some locker rooms if coaches don't handle it the right way.

You are correct, Mooney's recruiting did pick up with Golden, Sherod, Buck class. His being able to translate that as to on the court success remains mixed. 2019 was great. 2020 was a disaster (Covid played a role in that), last year was supremely disappointing until our miracle run at the tournament.

From the rumors I heard, there was some locker room issues, team was not as tight as we were lead to believe and Mooney didn't do a lot to fix it. I'm hopeful that the new mix of players that is past us. I think Gilly willed the team during March and the team not being as tight as we all thought probably played a larger role in the in season underperformance.

No idea what the divisions were but hopefully with a new mix of players, the team really becomes a solid team this year.
LOL.....so, there were locker room issues last year, but you
have no idea who they involved, but you do know Mooney did not do a lot to fix them. Too bad we had all these issues and a coach who did not fix them, right? We maybe would have made noise in March if it weren't for all of this.

This is one area of the transfer portal that I think a lot of coaches will have to navigate - adding new players, who may jump over current players. Do guys like Goose and Grace get passed over for minutes for incoming transfers? I could see that being a problem in some locker rooms if coaches don't handle it the right way.
Guys should know why a guy might pass them in the rotation. They would likely see this everyday in practice. Also, guys should expect coaches to always try to make their teams better.

Reactions: gospidersgo
2021 we were one made FT away from going to the NIT Final Four. Lots of challenges in that season. And a final 8 in the NIT is hardly a disaster.
Come on man, there were only 16 teams in the NIT that year and many programs simply turned down NIT invites cause it was Covid, the tournament was thrown together last minute in BFE Texas with no fans.

2021 we were one made FT away from going to the NIT Final Four. Lots of challenges in that season. And a final 8 in the NIT is hardly a disaster.

eh...relative to expectations it was pretty much that. Yes challenges, everyone had them. But remember we were the A10 favorite preseason #1, coming off 24-7 with all 5 starters back, & were ranked No. 19 in the country after beating Kentucky. That season was a nosedive.

eh...relative to expectations it was pretty much that. Yes challenges, everyone had them. But remember we were the A10 favorite preseason #1, coming off 24-7 with all 5 starters back, & were ranked No. 19 in the country after beating Kentucky. That season was a nosedive.
True and 2022 season as well had we not pulled a rabbit out our butt at the 11th hour.

Salute the team for the amazing 2022 season ending run and big salute to apparent step up in recruiting, but having watched for years, I remain wary....but hopeful.

Last edited:
Guys should know why a guy might pass them in the rotation. They would likely see this everyday in practice. Also, guys should expect coaches to always try to make their teams better.
Your thinking old school. There is a reason the transfer portal is so popular these days. Guys are either looking to move up from lower schools after a good season, or guys sitting the bench are looking for more playing time. Gone are the days where kids accept someone is better and work harder - they simply just look for somewhere else to play.

Your thinking old school. There is a reason the transfer portal is so popular these days. Guys are either looking to move up from lower schools after a good season, or guys sitting the bench are looking for more playing time. Gone are the days where kids accept someone is better and work harder - they simply just look for somewhere else to play.
Well, that's fine, but you mentioned a locker room issue. If a guy gets passed for playing time, and wants to transfer, how would it do him any good if he became a locker room problem? Is that the reputation he wants when heading into the transfer portal? I can agree with you that it could be a problem at some schools, and not all guys would just gladly accept a reduced role, but I think that very few locker room, chemistry issues would result from this.

Such revisionist history. Anybody that actually watched and followed the team in 2021 knows that it was an incredibly disappointing season that didn’t live up to expectations. It’s the primary reason all of the seniors returned for “unfinished business.”

Well, that's fine, but you mentioned a locker room issue. If a guy gets passed for playing time, and wants to transfer, how would it do him any good if he became a locker room problem? Is that the reputation he wants when heading into the transfer portal? I can agree with you that it could be a problem at some schools, and not all guys would just gladly accept a reduced role, but I think that very few locker room, chemistry issues would result from this.
I agree - kids should be okay if they see a better player in practice and then that kid plays over you. I think this is something all coaches will have to wrestle with - especially at the mid-major level, where kids usually stay and progress their careers.

At big schools like Duke, Kentucky, UNC, etc - they are used to bringing in top recruiting classes and jumping over kids who may have been there a year or two. But now - mid-major schools, UR is one of them, will have to deal with kids who have stuck around, worked their tails off in practice, have gotten better, and now ready for their turn to play as Juniors/Seniors - but in comes 2-3 transfers that jump over them. Just saying this is an issue that did not exist before and could be something coaches now have to deal with more than coaching.

Let's see how this season turns out before we announce that the Mooney has turned the ship around.
Agree 100% with this. I have been very high on Mooney's offseason (not as high as most - would like to see some more athleticism and overall focus on guys that can play defense). At this point in time though, I am giving the benefit of the doubt that the ship has turned around. But I am also very curious to see how this regular season goes. I agree that where you end up is big. But, But, if you are very good in the regular season, that can set you up with A10 tournament seedings, automatic NCAA bids etc. Not depending on magical run.

If Quinn's foot is healthy, I think we have really really good roster to compete with Davidson and SLU. And we have Burton. Agree that PG play will be key, but all accounts - including high praise from Gilly and Burton indicate that Nelson is up for the job. Mooney has really good talent and brought in three really good fits from the portal - that are seasoned vets and should be able to contribute in the A10 from day 1. So let's see how we do in the regular season.

Is it a good thing that we have heard nothing on Quinn's foot? Does that mean its a non-issue and he is progressing just fine? No news is good news on this topic?

I really like this roster but I just don't know how it plays yet. we'll see soon.
let's say we start Quinn, Grace, Burton, Goose and Nelson. solid lineup. but likely not a great 3 point shooting lineup. and likely not an above average defensive lineup.
maybe we squeeze Roche in there somewhere. helps shooting, but if it's for Goose it likely hurts defensively. Dji will help defensively but probably won't improve our outside shooting. I haven't heard anything about Bigelow in a long time. was hoping he'd be the talk of the summer.

Reactions: Long Island Spiders
Trap, anytime you have a 7 footer with a broken foot, it is a MAJOR concern. My hope is this is just an extreme over abundance of caution on something that is nothing. But has to be a huge concern at this time.

sman - as much as I like me some Matty Effing Grace - I agree that major minutes with Quinn and Grace together gives major pause on our ability to defend. Not too worried about Bigelow - I don't think we need him to be a star. That would be great - Burton / Bigelow tandem would be tough. But really, I think we need him to be solid, be a threat from 3 and be able to defend other teams that have good shooting stretch 4's - next to Quinn or Grace.
ROCHE - just like this season in general, I think this is a big litmus test on Mooney's ability to manage a roster. He has to find a way to utilize him and get his offense in , while not giving away points on the D end.

Is it a good thing that we have heard nothing on Quinn's foot? Does that mean its a non-issue and he is progressing just fine? No news is good news on this topic?
Per the RTD article, this is a five week injury, which would make the timeline Sept. 29 for recovery. Trap, if you wake up on Sept. 30th and don't see any reports of Quinn working out with no foot pain - please pull every fire alarm in the building and run out in the streets screaming "FIRE!!". I will do the same where I am.

sman - as much as I like me some Matty Effing Grace - I agree that major minutes with Quinn and Grace together gives major pause on our ability to defend.
yeah, I was locked into Grace off the bench all offseason until the Burton's interview. Burton didn't hesitate in talking up Matt. I can't see him over Quinn so I've got him at the 4.
agreed it's not ideal defensively, but I don't remember him being abused at the 4 last year. I actually thought he had a tougher time with bulk inside than in defending the perimeter.

I've learned from the past - take preseason hype around a player from within the program with a huge grain of salt. So it doesn't bother me to not hear anything about Bigelow right now.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Per the RTD article, this is a five week injury, which would make the timeline Sept. 29 for recovery. Trap, if you wake up on Sept. 30th and don't see any reports of Quinn working out with no foot pain - please pull every fire alarm in the building and run out in the streets screaming "FIRE!!". I will do the same where I am.

He's been out of the boot apparently. I take that as progression. I think he'll be ready, larger concern to me is chance of reinjury with foots.

I've learned from the past - take preseason hype around a player from within the program with a huge grain of salt. So it doesn't bother me to not hear anything about Bigelow right now.
we've over-hyped before for sure! the under-hype concerns me a little, but there's plenty of time to fire up the hype machine before November.

• Haha
Reactions: gospidersgo
I really like this roster but I just don't know how it plays yet. we'll see soon.
let's say we start Quinn, Grace, Burton, Goose and Nelson. solid lineup. but likely not a great 3 point shooting lineup. and likely not an above average defensive lineup.
maybe we squeeze Roche in there somewhere. helps shooting, but if it's for Goose it likely hurts defensively. Dji will help defensively but probably won't improve our outside shooting. I haven't heard anything about Bigelow in a long time. was hoping he'd be the talk of the summer.
Good post, Sman! Glad you’ve also finally come around to grace being the starter. :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT