ADVERTISEMENT

Hardt: 'Everything is awesome!'

What is worse to think about is this. I think if you look back to when VCU and UR were both in CAA, we could argue and win that we were the better team in the CAA. Then we move to A10, have some early success and everything looks good. VCU joins A10 later - and I think it is easy to say - they have enjoyed more success in A10 than they did in CAA, while we have experienced the reverse - less success in A10 than CAA.

And I wonder how much comes from recruiting and the kids we CAN get. When in the CAA - the difference between schools, even with our higher admissions, probably didn't effect us as much. But I wonder if that when playing at this higher mid-major level- it effects and shows itself even more and we have not been able to overcome it.

Reactions: SpiderK
The guys on CBS discussing the draw were favorable on VCU. It looks like one of those 12/5 draws ripe for upset.
I think they can win a few. They were bad in the non conference but had a new squad and Ace out. A soft A10 helped them build and develop and they are now hitting their stride. I don't think they're elite by any stretch...but they play good defense and have the athletes to get to the line. Its all about matchups and I don't see anyone the first week that is overwhelmingly better than them at this stage. I fear its going to be a long, miserable march for us spider fans. As VCU is celebrating another season of meeting expectations, were being told to temper ours. Honestly its hard to even hate on it as much as I would like to, they put their eggs in the basketball basket and its paid wonderful dividends for them while we tie our hands.

Really getting hard to care about UR athletics these days. I remember being asked why I care so much about a school I didn't even graduate from, and the older I get the less I can find the answer. It was fun as a kid and young adult seeing a school punch above its weight, but now were afraid of success. Heaven forbid were good at both sports and academics. We need to abandon hiring these low level patriot league athletic directors that want the same restrictions but a tougher league to do it in. Either home grow them like Boone or go out and get a Miller. I will pull out my hair if the next AD hire is from an Ivy League or Patriot League school. Barf.

God, we are so screwed
Yes, we are. Because the people in power have no greater aspiration/desire to be better. They've told us that over and over again, but now I finally have received the message loud and clear. Mooney is a perfect fit for the "temper your expectations", it was a "transitional year, we didn't know how it was going to play out crowd". No expectations are even set for us to even hold anyone accountable to meeting them.

Hallock has been here 2 years, if he was going to start changing that tone, we would have seen it by now. His showing up for games is not indicative of his desire to make them better at winning. If that was the case, Queally wouldn't be out telling us to temper our expectations and Hardt wouldn't be continuing to issue his once annual word salad presser about the state of MBB being A-0K with him, Mooney wouldn't be the same exact non accountable Mooney he has always been.

The wood is entirely rotten in our house, even if we replace one board at some point in the future, it rests on a mealy mouthed shell of a foundation.

I think if we fired Mooney tomorrow and brought in a coach who really wanted to win, he would stay a few years, realize what Danny Rocco realized and find himself a better fit with a place that values athletics way more than we do. Or more likely, we would hire another complacent coach, who will gladly take our 7 figure salary and realize all they need to do is not screw a cheerleader or choke a player and they are golden.

Yes, we are. Because the people in power have no greater aspiration/desire to be better. They've told us that over and over again, but now I finally have received the message loud and clear. Mooney is a perfect fit for the "temper your expectations", it was a "transitional year, we didn't know how it was going to play out crowd". No expectations are even set for us to even hold anyone accountable to meeting them.

Hallock has been here 2 years, if he was going to start changing that tone, we would have seen it by now. His showing up for games is not indicative of his desire to make them better at winning. If that was the case, Queally wouldn't be out telling us to temper our expectations and Hardt wouldn't be continuing to issue his once annual word salad presser about the state of MBB being A-0K with him, Mooney wouldn't be the same exact non accountable Mooney he has always been.

The wood is entirely rotten in our house, even if we replace one board at some point in the future, it rests on a mealy mouthed shell of a foundation.

I think if we fired Mooney tomorrow and brought in a coach who really wanted to win, he would stay a few years, realize what Danny Rocco realized and find himself a better fit with a place that values athletics way more than we do. Or more likely, we would hire another complacent coach, who will gladly take our 7 figure salary and realize all they need to do is not screw a cheerleader or choke a player and they are golden.
I wish we had better looking cheerleaders.

If this is true, why are we doing this? Why??

We're intentionally putting ourselves at a competitive disadvantage within our own conference -- which we freely chose to join -- and then complaining about it as the reason we can't win more? This is pure insanity. Someone end it, please.
This right here.

If we wanted to stay a CAA school, or become a Patriot League school, then do that. Don't be a Patriot League school in the Atlantic 10.

I think they can win a few. They were bad in the non conference but had a new squad and Ace out. A soft A10 helped them build and develop and they are now hitting their stride. I don't think they're elite by any stretch...but they play good defense and have the athletes to get to the line. Its all about matchups and I don't see anyone the first week that is overwhelmingly better than them at this stage. I fear its going to be a long, miserable march for us spider fans. As VCU is celebrating another season of meeting expectations, were being told to temper ours. Honestly its hard to even hate on it as much as I would like to, they put their eggs in the basketball basket and its paid wonderful dividends for them while we tie our hands.

Really getting hard to care about UR athletics these days. I remember being asked why I care so much about a school I didn't even graduate from, and the older I get the less I can find the answer. It was fun as a kid and young adult seeing a school punch above its weight, but now were afraid of success. Heaven forbid were good at both sports and academics. We need to abandon hiring these low level patriot league athletic directors that want the same restrictions but a tougher league to do it in. Either home grow them like Boone or go out and get a Miller. I will pull out my hair if the next AD hire is from an Ivy League or Patriot League school. Barf.
You make a good point re: VCU meeting expectations and us tempering ours. Think about that. What a dichotomy. Every year VCU expects to make NCAA Tournament. It’s a given. On the other hand, we don’t, and it’s an exception every 6 years on avg when we do. That pisses me off, and you’d think our leadership would be too, but they live in “temper expectation mode”. We could and should be better than that. Sorry for the rant. Maybe 5 years from now we sniff the tourney once again, and our cycle repeats.

Trap - you’re right. We were in a better position than VCU. But here’s the difference - we were so afraid of “missing out” that we locked into Mooney. VCU instead built a program and realized a young coach wasn’t the worst thing. They just moved on each time and brought in good coaches. They knew how to find talent.

We avoided the work and settled. We didn’t seem to get better. We look for excuses and hide behind them.

We’ve been out worked which sucks. There’s no one to blame but ourselves. It’s not about academics or other excuses. It’s about not caring enough to want to be good.

Queally's logic counting the 2020 team as a tournament team, and the 2022 team, is rich.
When the questioner pushed back and said the 2022 team could not have happened if the 2020 tournament hadn't been canceled, giving all those players a bonus year - his response was "I don't agree." There's nothing to disagree with - it's a FACT!

You don't get to say we made 4 tourneys when #3 *didn't actually happen* and #4 wouldn't have happened if the rules hadn't been changed.

Had the 2021 team made the tourney, I might give him some leeway on that illogic.

So PQ is going to get in the NIL business. I bet he won't be competing with Ruiz.

One thing, NIL and social influencing is hard work 🤣🤣🤣🤣
I continue to be mostly grossed out by social media.

“TikTok dances are such hard work.”

Reactions: DTSpider
I’m ready for PQ to disappear again. He poured in money while his kids were at UR; buying a sport for his son, pressuring professors over grades and keeping a coach that would give him access. He has run off people that cared unconditionally for the school.

You make a good point re: VCU meeting expectations and us tempering ours. Think about that. What a dichotomy. Every year VCU expects to make NCAA Tournament. It’s a given. On the other hand, we don’t, and it’s an exception every 6 years on avg when we do. That pisses me off, and you’d think our leadership would be too, but they live in “temper expectation mode”. We could and should be better than that. Sorry for the rant. Maybe 5 years from now we sniff the tourney once again, and our cycle repeats.

yep, they expect to make the NCAA's and consider it a failure if they do not. Our AD on the other hand thinks everything is peachy no matter what happens

Last edited:
Reactions: Spider B
Not that it matters a whole lot, but neither of Queally's sons played varsity lacrosse. His older son (class of 2013) played club and PQ was a big supporter of the club, but he graduated the year before it went varsity. His younger son (class of 2020) played lax in high school but not at Richmond.

Not that it matters a whole lot, but neither of Queally's sons played varsity lacrosse. His older son (class of 2013) played club and PQ was a big supporter of the club, but he graduated the year before it went varsity. His younger son (class of 2020) played lax in high school but not at Richmond.
Next your going to tell us he didn't pressure the professor, or keep the friend coach. Wait, the last one is pretty easy to see.

Reactions: fatherspider
I would agree this was a transitional year...if we hadn't hit the portal for three ready now rotation players (incl. a 4th year guy and a 5th year guy) AND hadn't recruited two key role players to come back for an extra year. Those two things are win now moves and reset expectations for this season.

A transitional year would have been thanking Grace and Goose for their program contributions, particularly the A10 title and NCAA win, and let them move on so you could, you know, transition new players into their roles. Playing Noyes, Roche, Nelson, Randolph, Dji and trying to let the young guys get their sea legs while Burton, Quinn and Bigelow held it down early.

Starting two 5th year guys every game, who you asked back, is not a transitional move for a program.

This right here.

If we wanted to stay a CAA school, or become a Patriot League school, then do that. Don't be a Patriot League school in the Atlantic 10.
This needs to be more than liked. The other fact is spending a bunch of money does not equate to success, even though apparently four other A10 schools are outspending UR. I couldn’t find anything that ranked all the A10 schools, but it is highly likely that those other schools are much larger too. UR will lose in the NIL money battle too if it decides to go down that slippery slope.

I would agree this was a transitional year...if we hadn't hit the portal for three ready now rotation players (incl. a 4th year guy and a 5th year guy) AND hadn't recruited two key role players to come back for an extra year. Those two things are win now moves and reset expectations for this season.
Agree, we went all in to run it back. When it didn't happen, and in fact the team got worse as the year went on, then Hardt and PQ come out with their transitional expectations?? Weak sauce.

This needs to be more than liked. The other fact is spending a bunch of money does not equate to success, even though apparently four other A10 schools are outspending UR. I couldn’t find anything that ranked all the A10 schools, but it is highly likely that those other schools are much larger too. UR will lose in the NIL money battle too if it decides to go down that slippery slope.
Until this year, hadn't Davidson made it to the semifinals of every A10 tournament since they joined the league? Yet PQ cited them as being in the same"difficult academics" boat as us. Hasn't seemed to slow them down at all. The excuse-making is just pathetic by the people who should be doing the opposite.

Until this year, hadn't Davidson made it to the semifinals of every A10 tournament since they joined the league? Yet PQ cited them as being in the same"difficult academics" boat as us. Hasn't seemed to slow them down at all. The excuse-making is just pathetic by the people who should be doing the opposite.
Agree - except for this year, and I am willing to give Davidson a slight pass because they have a new coach, although still a McKillop - Davidson has been better than UR in the A10 and they came from an even lower conference than CAA - the Southern Conference.

And looking at their roster right now - they could have a good team next year if everyone returns. I think Loyer has his COVID year still to use. And I assume Mennega stays, although maybe he looks to portal since he had a pretty good year.

Reactions: Eight Legger
I am trying to understand if this upcoming year is to be considered a transitional year, or a year we try to compete for a top spot and NCAA bid? Lose Burton ( I assume), lose two more 5th year starters in Goose and Grace. Seems like would be another transition year for sure. Like I have said all along, prepping for 2024-25 run, I guess I have inately understood the Triumvirate thinking all along, though nice of jabba and PQ to confirm via public messages.

I am trying to understand if this upcoming year is to be considered a transitional year, or a year we try to compete for a top spot and NCAA bid? Lose Burton ( I assume), lose two more 5th year starters in Goose and Grace. Seems like would be another transition year for sure. Like I have said all along, prepping for 2024-25 run, I guess I have inately understood the Triumvirate thinking all along, though nice of jabba and PQ to confirm via public messages.

do the powers that be have a cute name for a season worse than a transitional year? We might be looking at one of those next season.

Queally's logic counting the 2020 team as a tournament team, and the 2022 team, is rich.
When the questioner pushed back and said the 2022 team could not have happened if the 2020 tournament hadn't been canceled, giving all those players a bonus year - his response was "I don't agree." There's nothing to disagree with - it's a FACT!

You don't get to say we made 4 tourneys when #3 *didn't actually happen* and #4 wouldn't have happened if the rules hadn't been changed.

Had the 2021 team made the tourney, I might give him some leeway on that illogic.
I dislike people like Queally. Power mongers who push their financial influence to heighten their own ego. There is no other way to look at it.
A new billboard should be erected saying
"Hey Queally, Didn't you get an MBA at Columbia. Go ruin their University instead. Leave UR alone."

We are certainly transitioning. Feels like we are a Silicon Valley bank.

• Haha
Reactions: Eight Legger
You totally misunderstood.
This season was the transitional year.
We transitioned to our overall and A10 win totals this year being our average ones for the foreseeable future...

Reactions: whampas
If this season was the transitional year, what’s next year? The sub-transitional year?

I’m ready for PQ to disappear again. He poured in money while his kids were at UR; buying a sport for his son, pressuring professors over grades and keeping a coach that would give him access. He has run off people that cared unconditionally for the school.
So, we'd be better off without him buying us a men's lacrosse team? I thought that was a popular sport on this board. Better off without the practice facility?

And the other day someone here was saying we should get a bunch of Q's money to fund our NIL program, then kick him to the curb. That wouldn't be my fund-raising approach with him, but ...

It's a tough call.

And yes, I think we need a new men's basketball and baseball coach.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT