ADVERTISEMENT

GW takes down UVA

Yes, GW looks for real. I know they dropped off last year after beating Wichita St. in the non-con, but I think they will be competing for an A-10 title. They have a lot of nice pieces. Cavanaugh really adds to that team. I also like the play and toughness of soph guard Jorgensen, as well as Garino

Glad they won for what it does for the conference but that's all the love they get from me.

Cavanaugh, Larson, and Garino tough combination. Larson is a really good passer out of the low post. Do we play them once or twice this season?

UVA is going to have to adapt to the new freedom of movement rules. GW only shot 48% from 2 and 28% from 3, but took 28 free throws and made 23 of them. Shooting like that will not win you most games, and you can't depend on free throws for almost a third of your points. The win was a great one, but I think teams that have depended on tough defense in the past such as UVA might have some trouble against decent teams early in the season adjusting to the new rules. We will see.

Last edited:
I think our bellyaching of GW being ranked ahead of us, myself including, was a bit misplaced. Garino, Larson, and Cavanaugh is a really nice core.

I've always thought that Lonegran was an underrated coach. He took Catholic University
to the D ll Championship and a good job at Vermont.
We're going to have a tough time with them.

GW did a great job disrupting the "Pack Zone" defense of UVA by employing the skip pass across the defense, and using Larsen for inside out passing. I think teams and coaches are figuring out how to beat the Pack Zone, just like teams seemed to figure out our switching zone after the 2010-11 season.

GW did a great job disrupting the "Pack Zone" defense of UVA by employing the skip pass across the defense, and using Larsen for inside out passing. I think teams and coaches are figuring out how to beat the Pack Zone, just like teams seemed to figure out our switching zone after the 2010-11 season.

GW didn't look like anything special on offense, besides their ability to draw fouls. They didn't shoot particularly efficiently and they did not dominate the offensive boards. They did get 23 points at the free throw line, which was the reason they won (they had 12 more free throw attempts than UVA, and won by 5). Their defense was impressive though.

GW drew a lot of fouls because they got weak side penetration and UVA ended up fouling them. Skip passes and good ball movement created those opportunities.

Reactions: fan2011
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT