ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Beckwith

Oh my god, this is horribly sad news. Beck was such a great ambassador for Spider Basketball. I especially loved watching him interview Gilly - he looked like a proud father watching his son become successful. You could really tell how much he cared about the players, program, and school.

Sending thoughts to his family and the whole Spider athletic community.

Condolences to the Beckwith family. A life lost much too soon. I enjoyed his playing years and his broadcasting. RIP Greg!

Just a warm and friendly guy, had many great conversations with him.

Remember after a spider home game, talking to Beck and Bob Black in a restaurant and having
a good laugh or two. Thought he would have made a good coach. Really saddened by this news.

Greg was the epitome of a team player. It had to be tough being the primary ballhandler for Coach Tarrant and he flourished at it. He played terrific defense and was a great passer, and came through when the pressure was on.

Based on my limited contact with him and from what I have heard from others, he was an even better person than he was a basketball player. I hope his family can get some consolation knowing how much his UR family loved him as a player, broadcaster and person.

Heart breaking, sad news! RIP Greg Beckwith. My thoughts go out to your family and friends.

All Richmond basketball fans owe Greg a debt of gratitude for being a key cog in the original 1984 “Giant Killers. He and his teammates showed what the Spiders could be!

I’m so glad he had the opportunity to be recognized with his teammates and Coach Tarrant this past season.

I expect Johnny Newman, Kelvin Johnson, Bill Flye, John Davis and many others teammates from that era of UR basketball are cherishing their memories of Greg upon this sad news.

Thank you Greg Beckwith for everything you’ve done for Spiders basketball.

Go Spiders!

Last edited:
Heart breaking, sad news! RIP Greg Beckwith. My thoughts go out to your family and friends.

All Richmond basketball fans owe Greg a debt of gratitude for being a key cog in the original 1984 “Giant Killers. He and his teammates showed what the Spiders could be!

I’m so glad he had the opportunity to be recognized with his teammates and Coach Tarrant this past season.

I expect Johnny Newman, Kelvin Johnson, Bill Flye, John Davis and many others teammates from that era of UR basketball are cherishing their memories of Greg upon this sad news.

Thank you Greg Beckwith for everything you’ve done for Spiders basketball.

Go Spiders!
Looking for memories and found this

Certainly did not expect to see this news. Personally devastating. My family and I had a special connection over the years. When Greg arrived in the fall of 1982, my wife and I were assigned to be Greg’s “foster parents” when sponsor programs were allowed. We enjoyed watching Greg and his new teammates John Davis, Johnny Newman and Robert Tucker grow up to be great men in college and beyond. Greg and J D lived with us for a year plus as graduates. Our thoughts are with Greg’s wife Julie and the Beckwith children Brittany and B J. The Beckwiths moved into our neighborhood in Midlothian where Greg became a role model for my sons. In more recent years I stayed in touch with Julie with whom I once worked professionally. Greg’s brother Brian left this world prematurely as well. This loss is hitting me hard. So unexpected.

Spidernation lost a good one. Fortunate to meet him a couple of times and was always friendly, upbeat and positive. And lovvved talking Spider hoops with anyone. May he rest and piece and condolences to his family and friends.

We lost a great one. What a class act Beck was, and what a pleasure it was to hear him on the broadcasts, and watch him play at such a high level on the court for us. He had such a high basketball IQ and always made the right play. He will be greatly missed and I send the.best to his family.

Enough to make you cry.....Beck was a very kind humble person and would take the time to talk with you. Prayers to his family, his friends, and the Spider community. Going to the Robins Center for men's basketball games will not seem right without Beck in his broadcasting role. He loved the school and was a wonderful representative. Will miss him.

Last edited:
Beck is just not replaceable but when time comes I hope it will be a personable former player like him.
i liked Becks take on the games and his opinion even when it went against what the coaching staff was
doing at the moment of the game. RIP Beck as you were the best and UR community will miss you immensely.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT