ADVERTISEMENT

Got an e-mail from the dean of Richmond College

Wood Hall

Team Manager
Jan 26, 2015
I thought Richmond College (and Westhampton College) didn't exist anymore, that they had been merged to the UR College of Arts & Sciences or something like that?

I remember RC dean Dick Mateer. Good guy.

The academic aspects of RC and WC merged into the School of Arts and Sciences in the '70s, but RC and WC have continued to exist as residential/co-curricular colleges.

The RC/WC lines have blurred some as dorms and other things have become increasingly co-ed, but RC and WC continue to exist with their own dean's offices, student governments, traditions like Investiture/Proclamation, etc.

Reactions: urfan1
Thanks.

Friends I have who attended other schools are still amazed at how segregated UR was by sex when I went there (72-76). Separate dorms, dining halls, recreation/gym facilities; I very seldom was on the WC side of the lake except for Greek Theatre parties or an occasional class or Hardyball games on the Keller Hall field.

I never had an English class with women. I never had a history class with women until my senior year, seminar with Dr. Daniels, English history with Dr. Rilling, who was awesome, and American history with some old lady WC professor who was terrible.

Last edited:
Wood Hall when I was there we were told the setup was co-ordinate instead of co-ed. No classes with females until junior year. Now this is a ha-ha observation.............when I was at Richmond College freshman year we were told by Dean Smart that one out of three would not graduate and one out of three would marry a Westhampton lady. We laughed. Had dates from Westhampton as a student but by latter college years when I finally had a car dated more females from other places - namely nursing schools and RPI - but 4 years after graduation met a Westhampton grad 4 years younger and have been married to her over 50 years. One of the "attractions" besides the usual was her willingness and desire to attend all kinds of UR sporting events......turned out to be a huge plus!

Last edited:
70-74 here. Women were very rare in most classes. On the first day when they rolled through the door in a random class, many guys hung their heads and literally said "there goes the curve."

As a frat guy of fair intelligence my thought was more "here comes the curve." :cool:

Different era. Different attitudes and standards, but a hell of a college, growing up, experience!

The concept of Westhampton College is alive and well. I have a Westhampton senior about to graduate and she is very proud of her Westhampton heritage.

The University has done an excellent job of supporting the young ladies of Westhampton College. Young women in college face a different set of challenges than guys. Westhampton is set up to address those needs.

The academic aspects of RC and WC merged into the School of Arts and Sciences in the '70s, but RC and WC have continued to exist as residential/co-curricular colleges.

The RC/WC lines have blurred some as dorms and other things have become increasingly co-ed, but RC and WC continue to exist with their own dean's offices, student governments, traditions like Investiture/Proclamation, etc.
But all dorm rooms haven’t become mandatory co-ed yet…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT