ADVERTISEMENT

George Washington III - Michigan Transfer - Commit

Wow, this came out of nowhere. Great pickup, and one of the more talented players we've had in the program in a long time. He was a top-100 recruit by ESPN coming out of high school - don't know if we've ever had a player that highly regarded play for us in the modern era. 3 years of eligibiliy is huge too.

Let's go!

Haven't had a chance to delve to deep, but watching some of these highlights he is a guard that can get to the basket. Great pick up - did not do much freshman year at Michigan - but hopefully was able to absorb and adapt to the college game a little and we will get some nice upside here.

Reactions: urfan1
Haven't had a chance to delve to deep, but watching some of these highlights he is a guard that can get to the basket. Great pick up - did not do much freshman year at Michigan - but hopefully was able to absorb and adapt to the college game a little and we will get some nice upside here.
I believe he wanted playing time and the fact that there was a coaching change. Welcome aboard GW, excited to see you play next season.

Found this pretty comphrensive overview of him done by a Michigan blog when he was a senior in high school. Really highlights his shooting abilty which is a good sign.

Weirdly, the official Michigan roster says, "Capable shooter but prefers to do most of his scoring inside the arc." Going to assume that might be a bit harsh and he's at least above-average from deep.

Highlights show he's a good passer, has good hops and slashes to the basket. Only thing I noticed on his three pointers is kicking out his leg. Might get away with that in high school, but not so much in college. A great pickup for us!

never landed AW3, so we got our GW3!

former top 100 kid? sign me up! would love to see who called him when he hit the portal. had to be a who's who.

I get we're a great destination for lead guards. still. really want to hear how we went about landing a guy like this. especially with all the big NIL money out there. no known ties to the area. from Kentucky, went to HS in Ohio.

strange situation at Michigan. hit the portal in March after the coach was fired. new coach comes in and re-recruits him. so he takes his name out of the portal. then new coach brings in six (6!) new guards. GW3 re-entered the portal in late April.

Whoa. I know he didn't play all that much his freshman year on a bad and probably dysfunctional Michigan team. But he is a former Top 100 recruit, originally committed to Ohio State before decommitting and going to Michigan. Offers from schools like Tennessee, Auburn, Louisville, Xavier, Cincinnati. Wake and UVA were in his Top 5 after he decommitted from Ohio State.

This might be our most highly recruited player ever to suit up for Richmond. This was out of the blue, only hit the portal a couple weeks ago. Great job by staff on getting a big time recruit to come here.

Fantastic pick up, looks to have A grade athleticism, handle and quickness. I like that he’s also 6’2”.

Portal!

Let’s lock up the UConn guy and get going.
I’m still looking for UConn and Irvine if room.

We can wrap this up with Cellophane and Glue…

Good summary of what Michigan thought of him coming in.

Excellent info Fan1. As much as I like Dlo, and Hunt , and now GW3 - we can never have enough guards. Wow, on that one article on Michigan portal work - it mentioned that they had 9 guards out of their 13 roster spots. And another two of those are Wolf from Yale - 7 footer and Goldin 7 footer from FAU. Anyway, GW3 is in a good spot to earn a big role and have a big impact. Excited for the pick up!!!

Why did he leave Michigan? They were garbage and we would have beat them by 30 last year. I’m happy to have the kid but just wondering, this is a transfer up IMO

Why did he leave Michigan? They were garbage and we would have beat them by 30 last year. I’m happy to have the kid but just wondering, this is a transfer up IMO
Last paragraph post 15…

Reactions: plydogg
Excellent info Fan1. As much as I like Dlo, and Hunt , and now GW3 - we can never have enough guards. Wow, on that one article on Michigan portal work - it mentioned that they had 9 guards out of their 13 roster spots. And another two of those are Wolf from Yale - 7 footer and Goldin 7 footer from FAU. Anyway, GW3 is in a good spot to earn a big role and have a big impact. Excited for the pick up!!!
Yes we need another point guard. Tyne seems to be our only true pg.

Welcome GW3. 3 years of eligibility is what I like the best about this pickup. Could be the new normal that UR can land highly rated high school players looking for playing time and P5s will wait to poach later if the player proves themselves. Have to hope combination of family culture, UR degree, and NIL offering are enough to keep starters on the UR roster.

Well, it would seem our success and high usage for both Hunt and King last season are probably attractive to GW3. Also, he is coming from a very crowded back court situation, with likely other top 100 type of guys competing. New coach, he was a holdover - so that has to be in the back of your mind. While I agree that best players play, one would have to think: If we are all equal, is Dusty May going to play the hold over 1st or he guy he actively recruited? Anyway, as many of us have said over the years - we have a lot to offer. Top 10 basketball league, lot of games on TV now. Nice gym, nice crowd, and lots of opportunity

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT