ADVERTISEMENT

Game Question from Parent of Freshmen

Nov 12, 2014
Hi Spider Fans! My son is a freshman at Richmond and the wife and I will making our first trip down to visit him this weekend. It's worked out great, since we'll get a chance to go to our very first college football game. We live in NJ and will be driving down with some friends of ours who have kids at the school.

We're brand new to college football, but are really looking forward to the game after searching around online and finding this fan forum. It looks like Richmond has some nice facilities, but we're unsure how to get to the stadium. How far from campus is Robins High School where the stadium is? We'll probably have breakfast with our son and some of his friends then drive everyone over to the game. We can't wait to get there and we think it's neat the way the University and the local high school share facilities. It must be great for the community.

Thanks for the help and go RU!

Stop in Front Royal while en route. You can get all the low down there. At the 7-11.

Thanks, but I think Front Royal is out of way. Do al 7-11 stores have directions or game day programs? Is there some other way to get more information about the game day setup.

^^Perhaps you're right. Maybe you should check with your son. Given that Madison College has more than twice as many New Jerseyans that UR does, he may have a friend or two from the Garden State that has some interest in the game. One of them may even occupy the half empty alluminum student section at their Truck Stop off I81 from time to time. Additionally, those guys may know where the 7-11 in Front Royal is since the burgeoning Madison College business school sources interns in their management training program from time to time.

I'm new to this forum and seem to be getting myself confused. Can someone please help me out with an answer to my original question about directions?

Also, we're staying at the Westin on W. Broad Street. Can someone recommend a good restaurant we could take our son to Saturday night for dinner?

Thanks.

You took time out of your day to create an account on SpiderNation? That does imply you have something better to do, which probably isn't true. Shouldn't you be monitoring the city to make sure there are no more "drug deals turned shootouts?'

I did. Call your son and talk to him
If you can't reach him, try reaching those friends that borrowed his notes in high school, didn't get the AP courses or extracurricular activities he did
... and decided to try the Truck Stop Off I81 because Rowan or Monmouth just 'made too much sense' at half the price.

The iHops or Denny's on Broad St are really cool places to have breakfast.The ambience is 5 star and they take coupons from as far away as Fort Lee or Jersey City.They even take expired coupons.Talk about Southern hospitality.You will feel at home as though you are experiencing a southwest Virginia environment at its best.Just like all them hillbillies and rednecks.Saturday all day is gravy day.All kinds of different flavored gravy.They'll even put gravy on your choice on eggs or pancakes.They even have purple toothpicks which are complimentary after every meal.They sure are looking to please and get your return business.There usually isn't a waiting line to get in so you should be out of there in less than 18 minutes unless you ask them to fry your pancakes in hog fat and add in some salty and fatty bacon chips.Good luck and enjoy your morning prior to visiting us.Put 23173 in your GPS.Someone at iHops or Denny's will be more than happy to help you with that logistic.Driving Richmond streets can be extremely confusing for 1st time visitors from New Jersey.Curious why they call the Garden State Parkway the Garden State Parkway.It seems a bit oximoronic,don't it?The roads here are clean and very passable.I never saw anybody flash their middle finger like they often do when they are jockeying for position to enter the Holland tunnel.By the way,the Soprano's were really cool and Frank Sinatra being from Hoboken is very historical,don't you think?Chris Christie has done well in dropping LB's since his gastrointestinal bypass.He's looking more presidential every day although the Gov is under strict orders by his Doc not to eat at either iHops or Denny's until his body mass index gets under 74.

This post was edited on 11/13 1:50 PM by 32counter

Whoah. I get it. You're busting my chops since I'm the new guy. Very funny. I apologize if my questions were simplistic. I'm new to college football and not much of a sports fan in general. I'm still looking forward to seeing the RU campus and would still like to attend the game. Hopefully someone can give me directions to Robins High.

Hello spider father.... I am not sure what these other replies are trying to do for you but the stadium is right on campus. There is no connection to any high school as far as the facility is concerned. If you are staying at the Westin you are on Broad St and there are lots or resturants close by! Hope you have a good weekend.

Thank you to those of you who tried to help. I googled "Richmond City Stadium" and now have directions. I'm looking forward to meeting some fellow RU parents and fans at the match on Saturday. Go Spiders!

Originally posted by MolivaManiac:
This is boring. And you have kinesiology homework.

Move along.
Man, I was going to make the kinesiology joke.

SpiderFather go ahead and join parents of Radford University students at Richmond City Stadium. You can talk about The Highlanders loss to the UR Spiders in basketball. As for the UR/JMU football game, the only football game you will see there is a VHSL high school play off game!

Some of you seem really excited. Saturday should be interesting for me as a first timer. Again, I'm not a big sports fan, but you're kidding about the basketball and high school football games all taking place at the Stadium on Saturday, right? I'm not sure I want to go to more than one game. Go Spiders!

We were planning on bringing some hoagies and maybe having a few beers. Based on what I'm hearing, maybe we'd be better off just bringing leftovers from breakfast. Thanks for helping me out and ensuring I don't stand out like a sore thumb.

Originally posted by SpiderFather:
We were planning on bringing some hoagies and maybe having a few beers. Based on what I'm hearing, maybe we'd be better off just bringing leftovers from breakfast. Thanks for helping me out and ensuring I don't stand out like a sore thumb.
Every time you dress up in purple and gold, don't you feel a bit like a queen anyway.

SpiderFather,

We look forward to reading your posts after the game. For some reason, I suspect you will be long gone by then.

Spider father welcome, but can you pass a litmus question for me? Why have you not been on UR campus before this coming weekend? Official visit, freshman move in, family weekend, spring game, want see where my child is, etc. This inquiring mind want to know.

Not sure I'll have much insight into the game on the field, but I'll definitely share my thoughts about the experience. And we're planning on spending the whole weekend down there (why I asked for restaurant suggestions), so I definitive won't be long gone until later Sunday. Any other tips for a first timer at the college football game?

When the team dressed in blue makes a play like a big throw or a big run or a touchdown get up from your seat and cheer really loudly like everyone else around you.When #2 for the white team tries to run and gets hit really hard and is slow to get up,cheer really loudly like everyone around you.Just follow those instructions and you'll be cheering alot on Saturday.

Just saw that last question after I hit submit. Don't you hate when that happens? I've been on campus, this is just my first time visiting my kid. And I've still never seen the Richmond Football Stadium. Some students pointed out the track field with all the stands around it when we first visited, but we never saw the football stadium. I'm excited to finally see it this weekend.

It's brick, not aluminum, perhaps that explains your recognition difficulty along with the stadium being symmetrical rather than half a tin can. Look forward to seeing you Saturday and warmly welcoming you!

BTW: Will this be your last visit to our campus before you move up to low level FBS obscurity?

Oh, the walls around the track field are brick. Yeah, I got that. The rest of that talk about other building materials threw me off. That was a cool track facility. I can't wait to see how much bigger and better the football stadium is.

Originally posted by KESpider:
Well, just rattle your head. You'll see.
roll.r191677.gif

On your way down you may want to go by Dukeburg and take a look at that huge aluminum chicken coop. I bet that thing holds 50,000 chickens. I understand it was one of the first projects by the Engineering school down on Broad Street. Oh well, everybody has got to start somewhere.

Someone asked me today if there is a Nascar track along I-81 at Harrisonurg......looks a little like Bristol and Martinsville!

while you're there visiting 'Robins High' you may want to look into signing up for some classes and getting your GED. Obviously your 'son' is the first person in your family to ever attend college.

Haha. I get it. The guy who doesn't know a lot about college football needs a GED. Busting my chops again, eh? NASCAR isn't very big in NJ, but now that I'm giving football a shot, I'd love to check out a race car track. How far is Harrisonurg? And do many RU students/families go to the races there?

Try Dover.Slide down the Pike.Oval is hour from DE bridge.You get a huge selection of hush puppies with all types of flavored gravy.Ask for grape.

I'm not busting your chops at all 'Father'. You should be very proud that your son has choosen to get a truly quality education, when he could have opted for something lesser... well... say like our opponent this week JMU for instance. I mean really why waste four years at a school that is virtually 1 step, small, step above say a community college.

(My appologizes to the community colleges)

Just got back from the game and I really enjoyed my first college football experience. I was surprised how lively the crowd was even after RU went down by a few goals. Then I realized, the crowd was mostly folks in purple. Oh well. You win some, you lose some, right? Proud to be an RU family though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT