ADVERTISEMENT

Fordham

It is hard to win without a good defense and a consistent running game. On the positive side, special teams did well today.

Reactions: urfan1
He didn’t say that did he? If so, I’ve been a big supporter of Bob. But I was obviously wrong about him as well. To have any credibility you can’t be that big a sycophant
He absolutely said that.

We make the opposition look good.

PATRIOT LEAGUE FOOTBALL OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Zach Davis, Fordham, Jr., RB, Wallingford, Conn./Sheehan
*Davis rushed for a career-high 146 yards on 13 carries to help the Rams to a 23-16 win over Richmond.
*The Wallingford, Conn. native averaged 11.2 yards per carry to register his third 100-yard game of the season in addition to catching three passes for 17 yards.
*Davis leads the Patriot League, averaging 102.2 rushing yards per game through five games this season.

PATRIOT LEAGUE FOOTBALL DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Ryan Greenhagen, Fordham, So., LB, Sparta, N.J./Pope John XXIII
*Greenhagen led Fordham's defense with 13 tackles (10 solo) with a career-high 4.5 tackles for loss of 14 yards to earn his third-consecutive defensive player of the week.
*The Sparta, N.J., native helped the Rams hold Richmond to 65 net rushing yards in their 23-16 win.
*He leads the Patriot League with 55 tackles and 10.5 tackles for loss.

Anatomy of how to lose a football game:

1.UR 3rd and 6 Fordham 9yd line.False start UR.Now 3rd and 11 Fordham 14yd line.English sacked for 6yd loss.Now 4th and 17 Fordham 20yd Line.Larson FG.
7:17 1Q.

2.UR 2nd and 7,English from UR 30, perfectly thrown pass to UR receiver in stride and beyond Fordham defenders on Fordham 25 yd line.Pass dropped.1:03 1Q.

2.Fordham 3rd and 5,UR 42 yd line.UR pass interference.Fordham UR 28 yd line.Fordham 41 yd FG.
8:00 2Q.

3.UR 3rd and 14 on UR 40 yd line,English runs for 16 yds to Fordham 44 yd line.Play nullified by a UR holding penalty.Now 3rd and 24 UR 30 yd line.12:33 2Q.

4.Fordham 2nd and 10 on its 25 yd line.Fordham runs 46 yds to UR 29 yd line.UR OB personal foul.Ball placed on UR 14 yd line.5:46 2Q.

5.Fordham at its 17 yd line rushes off tackle for 76 yds to UR 14 yd line.1:14 3Q.

6.Fordham at its 25 yd line passes for no gain.UR OB personal foul.Fordham gets ball on its 40 yd line.13:17 4Q.

7.UR 4th and 3 on Fordham 29 yd line,has pass intercepted at Fordham 29 yd line.6:33 4Q.

Last edited:

1.3rd and 6 Fordham 9yd line.False start UR.Now 3rd and 11 Fordham 14yd line.English sacked for 6yd loss.Now 4th and 17 Fordham 20yd Line.Larson FG.

2.2nd and 7,English from UR 30, perfectly thrown pass to UR receiver in stride and beyond Fordham defenders on Fordham 25 yd line.Pass dropped.1:03 1Q.

2.Fordham 3rd and 5,UR 42 yd line.UR pass interference.Fordham UR 28 yd line.Fordham 41 yd FG.

3.3rd and 14 on UR 40 yd line,English runs for 16 yds to Fordham 44 yd line.Play nullified by UR holding.Now 3rd and 24 UR 30 yd line.12:33 2Q.

4.Fordham 2nd and 10 on its 25 yd line.Fordham runs 46 yds to UR 29 yd line.UR OB personal foul.Ball placed on UR 14 yd line.5:46 2Q.

5.Fordham at its 17 yd line rushes off tackle for 76 yds to UR 14 yd line.1:14 3Q.

6.Fordham at its 25 yd line passes for no gain.UR OB personal foul.Fordham gets ball on its 40 yd line.13:17 4Q.

7.UR 4th and 3 on Fordham 29 yd line has pass intercepted at Fordham 29 yd line.6:33 4Q.

To sum it up, we're just a bad football team making a lot of mistakes.........AGAINST FORDHAM

1.3rd and 6 Fordham 9yd line.False start UR.Now 3rd and 11 Fordham 14yd line.English sacked for 6yd loss.Now 4th and 17 Fordham 20yd Line.Larson FG.

2.2nd and 7,English from UR 30, perfectly thrown pass to UR receiver in stride and beyond Fordham defenders on Fordham 25 yd line.Pass dropped.1:03 1Q.

3.3rd and 14 on UR 40 yd line,English runs for 16 yds to Fordham 44 yd line.Play nullified by UR holding.Now 3rd and 24 UR 30 yd line.12:33 2Q.

7.UR 4th and 3 on Fordham 29 yd line has pass intercepted at Fordham 29 yd line.6:33 4Q.

Counter, excellent analysis that gets lost on 99% of this crowd

Reactions: spiderjpo
Small mistakes made a big difference. But, the major concern should be that we have not been able to run the ball with our running backs and the defense cannot get off the field on third down. Those are two major issues.

I also think that it is very hard to call plays when you cannot run the ball. Our QBs should not be our most effective runners. So I think that the fans are too hard on the offensive coordinator.

Counter...I did not see the game, but what you describe sounds pretty much like, or worse, than what we've seen since Coach Huesman and staff arrived particularly factoring in it was Fordham not a CAA team...

it looks like our coaching staff cannot find ways to eliminate these breakdowns and mistakes, or the players can't, or won't, make the effort to improve

either way it looks to be another very long and dismal October and November...

but wait, there was that 2005 Richmond team that turned around...coached by Dave Clawson with Coach Huesman on the defense...

Go Spiders!

Reactions: 32counter
Larson had a great day,3-3 FGs primarily because we don’t have any big running backs to convert short yardage situations:

1. 4th and 1 on Fordham 15 yd line.6:03 2Q
Result FG.

2. 4th and 1 on Fordham 24 yd line.13:25 4Q
Result FG.

UR has ball on Fordham 29 yd line.4th down and 3.UR throws a pick.6:33 4Q.

We have zero confidence in our running game.

Why not run Ryan Coll from an H back position?

Last edited:
Reactions: bullfrog91
I like you idea about Ryan. I also think the comments are spot on concerning our many mistakes. However the real question is why do they keep happening and not appear to be getting better.

Feels like we've been hearing about 'bad angles' and bad 'gap fits' and 'missed fits' ever since Russ got here and nothing changes.

On day 1, he told us that we were going to take care of the football and play good defense. To date, we have done neither. I'd love for these things to change on Saturday and permanently moving forward.

We only played 7 offensive linemen on Saturday.We aren’t deep at all.It was 80F, it was hot,UV was likely 9.Salyers and Coll plus the 5 OL starters played.That’s it.No Lamp,no Singleton,no Elia,no Snavely,no Seekford,no Messmager.Could have been a shortage of seats on the bus.Amazed that the pocket for Beau stood up as well as it did.The AstroTurf at Fordham looked like the worn carpet of the old Veterans Stadium in Philly.

If it wasn’t for the WR transfers,we’d wouldn’t be doing anything on offense.We sorely miss Castellano as an additional target at WR.

Last edited:
Having former players call you out isn’t great. And I’m sure every other coach in conference is showing that to recruits.

Counter...I did not see the game, but what you describe sounds pretty much like, or worse, than what we've seen since Coach Huesman and staff arrived particularly factoring in it was Fordham not a CAA team...

it looks like our coaching staff cannot find ways to eliminate these breakdowns and mistakes, or the players can't, or won't, make the effort to improve

but wait, there was that 2005 Richmond team that turned around...coached by Dave Clawson with Coach Huesman on the defense...

Go Spiders!
Key words being coached by Dave Clawson. Did whoever write that article mention they had Two UofR HOF QBs and another one that went on to set school and sun belt records at Troy University before starting getting drafted? And he was a freakin backup to boot. Oh and Tim Hightower and Josh Vaughn and Arman Shields. And a fan base at the time with actual football fans in the crowd. Oh and a future ACC head coach. Maybe in a couple of years we’ll have some of that top talent we’re recruiting coached up. But from my seat they’re virtually no parallels to that team right now other than we are 1-3 and we made a QB change. I’ll gladly eat my words should we turn it around but all I can think is Jim Mora screeching “Playoffs” when I saw that headline.

Last edited:

Go Spiders!
That 2005 team lost 7-0 to Layfayette, then beat Maine, lost to Vandy in money game and I believe went on an 8 game win streak counting a playoff win against the #2 seed as I remember.

One can hope.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT