ADVERTISEMENT

Fordham Game Thread Wed 7pm ESPN+

Hey we had 4 in double figures and yet we played great in spurts and kept lead and never panicked when they
cut the lead. Bigelow was not a scorer this game but comes thru with 9 rebounds. Expanded lead with King on bench.
No matter what happens Saturday we are in first place

Spider guard play is very good. Watching live you see how good they control the ball and easily beat the press. Tyne and Hunt made some sick drives, and of course King is a legend.
Agree, was even more impressed in person. Can really see the alpha come out in King. He reminds me a lot of Gonzo. Loves to play and wants the ball. Fordham fan next to me said he is the best player he's seen all year. Hunt was goos and Tyne had some really nice attacks and finishes.

My freshman year, intramurals were played at Millhiser, because the Auxiliary Gym at the RC didn't open until January. There were 2 or 3 courts at Millhiser, running side-to-side, as well as the main court. After the RC opened, you could still sneak into Millhiser sometimes and play.

I loved that gym. It was also the site of some great keg parties. Those back steps to the downstairs bathrooms were pretty treacherous after a few beers. Bruce Springsteen played a concert there, too.

I have a photo with my four best friends from UR, sitting on the front steps, taken at Homecoming the year before the old front entrance was blasted into oblivion.

King is the most exciting player Richmond has had in as long as I've been watching. It was unreal tonight. He deserved every word of praise they threw at him. Tonight was my first chance to see him and the team live and it was awesome. I hope every one of you in Richmond enjoy all these games, it's pretty great to watch such a player, knowing he could just go off at any time on a heater.

btw, in the crowd, had zero idea what was going on on the double flagrant. The FU sound system is not the greatest, so even when they announced it, still had no idea.

I thought the team played great and tonight was one of the best the offense has run IMO. All the cuts and drives were there from the get go and Spiders hit the 3s at a high clip. Very impressive all around.

My freshman year, intramurals were played at Millhiser, because the Auxiliary Gym at the RC didn't open until January. There were 2 or 3 courts at Millhiser, running side-to-side, as well as the main court. After the RC opened, you could still sneak into Millhiser sometimes and play.

I loved that gym. It was also the site of some great keg parties. Those back steps to the downstairs bathrooms were pretty treacherous after a few beers. Bruce Springsteen played a concert there, too.

I have a photo with my four best friends from UR, sitting on the front steps, taken at Homecoming the year before the old front entrance was blasted into oblivion.
Great story. Old gyms are unique and its great that Fordham still has theirs still operating. (If that was your meaning)

Reactions: mr.spider
Agree, was even more impressed in person. Can really see the alpha come out in King. He reminds me a lot of Gonzo. Loves to play and wants the ball. Fordham fan next to me said he is the best player he's seen all year. Hunt was goos and Tyne had some really nice attacks and finishes.
I see him as the key or the “king” to this team. I dont see him settling at any point, and having a letdown thinking the team has done enough. Definitely no choke in him.

I hope he has been tutored in the history of the VCU/UR rivalry so he gets psyched to win even more at the Seigel center.

I played in the gym a number of times. Also recalled Flatts and Scrugs getting rained on in the Greek theatre so they moved to Millhiser, with a lot of wet drunks in tow.

Awesome run of games to be witnessing right now. This team is playing with supreme confidence, but not cockiness. Each guy knows their role and is playing it well. Plenty of chances the last few weeks to have a let down or "just nice to make it this far" kind of moment, but the focus has remained and it's paid off.

It wasn't a perfect game but we definitely put on a clinic last night and left no doubt who was the superior team on the court. Congrats to the guys again for just winning the next game on the schedule.

Tyne is so quick that he just needs to learn to be under control. This and decision making will improve
with experience. He may actually break the press best of all.

Reactions: mr.spider

Man Wood, you are bringing back some great memories. Played many a pickup bball game in there and remember when we had the Times Dispatch Tournament around the holidays and Millhiser was a food and beer garden.

Man Wood, you are bringing back some great memories. Played many a pickup bball game in there and remember when we had the Times Dispatch Tournament around the holidays and Millhiser was a food and beer garden.
Indeed! Playing pickup games in Millhiser was great!

Dji is a master of the reverse layup and using the rim as a shield from the defense on these. I think possibly every one of his field goals was this variety, it is very hard for the defense to defend.

The Defense. Very impressed with our D. Just everyone is so alert and helping. King impressed me too. He really works on that end and had some really nice digs back to help on the big and force turnover or stop a layup.

Have had some very close games with Fordham over the years even as we have dominated them in the win-loss column. Last night's game was fun to watch as we comfortably led most of the game with a few moments of score tightening. King became almost methodical in his ability to light it up as he wasn't going to be denied. Reminded me of Johnny Newman's ability to consistently score.

Reactions: urfan1
Awesome run of games to be witnessing right now. This team is playing with supreme confidence, but not cockiness. Each guy knows their role and is playing it well. Plenty of chances the last few weeks to have a let down or "just nice to make it this far" kind of moment, but the focus has remained and it's paid off.

It wasn't a perfect game but we definitely put on a clinic last night and left no doubt who was the superior team on the court. Congrats to the guys again for just winning the next game on the schedule.
Been thinking about this, specifically how guys have really bought into roles, while still allowing themselves to just play basketball, and how it is allowing for this clinical play.

I watched Harris in pregame, just practicing corner 3s over and over. Sure enough, in the game Dji found him open in the corner and he buried it, which was as UR was starting to pull away and countered a FU 3-pointer. And his primary role is defense, but really now it's our version of 3-D guy because he's worked on this shot and knows he'll get it probably once a game now. He's 7-14 on the year from 3.

As for Rose Hill, that's what it is and will be. They had a solid student turnout, there was a good Spider road turnout of a few hundred, they had an Armenian night promotion...and 1800 in the house. It's almost impossible to know if they would do better with a modern arena and more seating, given the location of their campus and their overall basketball history. At least RH looks semi-full, whereas a 5000 seat arena would have been echoing with 1500-1800 in it.

Its funny Brooklyn, walking from the parking garage to arena, talking to a Fordham grad - they definitely feel defeated. We were talking about the sell outs last year, which he attributed to Villanova assigning the coach in waiting to get some D1 coaching experience. I actually said I really like Rose Hill gym, but maybe if they did put in a larger more modern building they could improve/attract players etc. His response was: Come on, this is Fordham :).

I do love the appreciation of roles by all the players on the team. I was super impressed with Harris and that corner 3 too. He is so calm and workman like, just doing what is needed to win.

Reactions: spider fan
Yes, everyone has gotten great at picking their spots( ie what their moves are going to be), except the
KingQuinn who needs to be on all the time…

Been thinking about this, specifically how guys have really bought into roles, while still allowing themselves to just play basketball, and how it is allowing for this clinical play.

I watched Harris in pregame, just practicing corner 3s over and over. Sure enough, in the game Dji found him open in the corner and he buried it, which was as UR was starting to pull away and countered a FU 3-pointer. And his primary role is defense, but really now it's our version of 3-D guy because he's worked on this shot and knows he'll get it probably once a game now. He's 7-14 on the year from 3.

As for Rose Hill, that's what it is and will be. They had a solid student turnout, there was a good Spider road turnout of a few hundred, they had an Armenian night promotion...and 1800 in the house. It's almost impossible to know if they would do better with a modern arena and more seating, given the location of their campus and their overall basketball history. At least RH looks semi-full, whereas a 5000 seat arena would have been echoing with 1500-1800 in it.
How much do the seats behind the steel beams in the upper deck go for?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT