ADVERTISEMENT

Field Hockey

SFspidur

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
The Spiders had such great success early in their A-10 years under Ange Bradley, but haven't been able to get back to that level. They've been decent in the A-10, but can't get over the hump and haven't qualified for NCAAs since 2014. This year opened with three tough games against ranked teams in Rutgers, Duke, and JMU, but even since then, they've dropped games against American and Miami of Ohio to fall to 0–5. Hope they can get things figured out...lot of games left in the season.

Reading Montgomey's bio, she seems to have the pedigree of someone who could/would be very successful here. After a good start, it appears that the results just sunk lower and lower.

Anybody have a read on what's been going on with the FH program?

I will say that at least with the minor sports Hardt has backed up his message that we want to win and play for championships. Women's basketball, soccer, field hockey.

Her husband works at UR,doesn’t he?

Saw game v Yale in New Haven.Up 2-0,gave up 2 goals in last 5 mins in 2nd half.Went to OT.Didn’t see Montgomery interact with UR team prior to OT start.Shocked.Yale was huddled working strategy for a quick score in which they did in less than 1 min of OT.

Finished season 7-11 while losing 8 of the last 9 games.

Last edited:
I will say that at least with the minor sports Hardt has backed up his message that we want to win and play for championships. Women's basketball, soccer, field hockey.

But he lets them die on the vine. Making it harder to dig out of the hole. Arguably we should have made the move sooner for all 3 sports. Certainly women’s hoops & baseball. But we refuse to eat years on contracts.

I find it a little ironic that there’s this thought out there for men’s hoops & football that u need long term contracts for recruiting. I find that overrated myself but the coaches & agents push it & the athletic admins buy into it. We extend & extend for those sports, partially bc well u must do it. Industry standard. Overeager to extend. Yet we don’t apply that to other sports putting the coaches at a disadvantage if u accept the premise of needing security for recruiting etc. Different standard.

Reactions: Mo 2.0
We extend ahead of expiration if the admin is happy with performance. Ergo, Mooney and Huesman have been doing just fine.

We extend ahead of expiration if the admin is happy with performance. Ergo, Mooney and Huesman have been doing just fine.

Of course that’s part of it but the timing and length of some of their extensions is still very questionable. The whole u need security for recruiting angle is definitely part of it too. Moon & Huesman both have agents which also helps. Idk but doubt those other sports do. We all know Richmond won’t buy out coaches contracts & we need to reconsider that model imo.

Her husband works at UR,doesn’t he?

Saw game v Yale in New Haven.Up 2-0,gave up 2 goals in last 5 mins in 2nd half.Went to OT.Didn’t see Montgomery interact with UR team prior to OT start.Shocked.Yale was huddled working strategy for a quick score in which they did in less than 1 min of OT.

Finished season 7-11 while losing 8 of the last 9 games.

Geez. That must've been an interesting family dinner last night.

Just like with soccer, Spider field hockey has turned to a conference mate for its next coaching hire: La Salle's Martu Loncarica, the reigning A-10 coach of the year. 3x All-American player at Syracuse with various coaching roles at Syracuse, St. Joe's, and W&M before taking the top job at La Salle in 2021.

Reactions: urfan1
Collegian asking....is she getting paid as much as Mooney?
Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT