ADVERTISEMENT

Emotional Leadership

MolivaManiac

Spider's Club
Feb 8, 2004
At some point, you need to have a guy screaming at a teammate ot throwing a helmet or a water cooler on the sideline on a day like yesterday. I only saw a bunch of mopey dejectedness.

When's the next Eric McBride going to walk through the door?

You are so right Moliva, players were looking in the stands with anger as some of us spoke the truth about our play. All we asked was for them to do their job. They seemed to be satisfied with going through the motions.As one of our coaches said one time, you either get better each day or regress, you never stay the same! Where are our leaders? I should have known it was going to be a bad day when someone in lot B5 called the police to have our fire barrel put out. Then during the game some fans were telling some of us to stop yelling at our team. Then to finish the day off someone stole our mothers stadium seat that she had been using at UR games for many many many years. A finale thought, after the game the whole JMU team went over to their fans and were shouting with joy as they "ALL" celebrated their victory.We have not seen our team do this since the players we had during the Dave Clawson era. Could there be a small lesson in this as to winning as a TEAM is more important than self!

was not there but will agree that yelling negatives at your team, as a fan, is not a good thing to do. that is for coaches to do, captains to do, leaders to do, not fans, except fans of the opposing team. not saying you do not have the right to do it, just think it is wrong and say it from a guy who watched, as a kid, his brother get yelled at by our fans during games. you have a lot of parents and other fam members in the stands, not a good thing for them. do it in the parking lot, in a setting with other fans but not in front of fam. just my feelings based on experience.

Was not negative only encouragement to DO BETTER I have children who play sports also and I played in college, its called
motivation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some truth here. Leadership was weak last year. People we thought would lead were more worried about the NFL. By the time some realized they were actually the leaders of the team, it was too late. As to the JMU celebration, our kids hake hands after a game and hurry to their meeting room as directed. Maybe we should left the kids breathe a little. Our team has missed spirit and passion for a couple of years now. I am waiting on this place to figure out why. Culture.

We got out-schemed yesterday. Plan was to stop the run and make them beat us through the air. Well, they did. We made Vad Lee look like Peyton Manning. We could not even be turned lose to rush the passer instead we had to stay in our gaps and contain and stop the run. And give JMU credit, they picked outa weakness in our backfield for the last couple of years and went right at it. If you knew the coverages you would understand. Losing Ritcher again at LT did not help either. This team has tremendous talent. They can still and should win 8 games. Unfortunate we did not know what to do with it.

Turnover at the beginning of the 2nd half was big. I thought we were going to score and tighten the score and have the momentum. The kids new JMU was fast and athletic. They knew it would be a tough game. We made some mistakes and best ourselves a little. Credit to the Barneys for making some plays.

Decent crowd yesterday but still surprised how many UR fans either did not show or sold their tickets to the Barneys. Forget the students, they are not coming. If they can't show yesterday they never will. It's part of the student body culture.

I agree with all thats been said on this thread. How many years in a row have special teams been a disaster? Did we make any defensive adjustments at half time after being shredded in the first half? If you Lee proves he can beat you throwing, you have to change stratagy. I agree we need some emotional leadership, but did Trott and Legg give our kids an opportunity to be successful? You can throw all the coolers you want, but how many times did they almost block our punts or have a receiver with no defender within 15 yards? I think we need to shake up our staff. We have the talent on the team to make a run in the playoffs. Something is missing and has been for a couple years.

There is something missing that I used to see and that is our athletes from other sports used to attend games and support our teams. Basketball players would attend football, football would show up, paint their chests and support basketball, etc. add in the LAX, soccer and baseball and you have a lot of students. I think it should be required that our scholarship players show up unless they are in class or some team function elsewhere. Maybe someone here who is closer to the inside goings on can shed some light on this. I know about having to study and how hard it is to make the grade at UR but we are mostly talking weekends and nights. I just think that if all athletes showed that visible school spirit it would be contagious and draw the non athlete students to the games.

Originally posted by WebSpinner:
was not there but will agree that yelling negatives at your team, as a fan, is not a good thing to do. that is for coaches to do, captains to do, leaders to do, not fans, except fans of the opposing team. not saying you do not have the right to do it, just think it is wrong and say it from a guy who watched, as a kid, his brother get yelled at by our fans during games. you have a lot of parents and other fam members in the stands, not a good thing for them. do it in the parking lot, in a setting with other fans but not in front of fam. just my feelings based on experience.
Come on Spinner, take your skirt off. This is why our country is going to hell, because people are offended by everything.... I blame the PC culture that you are promoting here....

In seriousness, i have no problem with paying customers criticizing the product. That's life. These kids hear lots of criticism in practice every day. I doubt their feelings are hurt if some fans yell things at them.

There's been alot of time, energy and money spent by fans since 2009 with very modest ROI. If the kids can't deal with calls to "WAKE UP!" from a few of us sitting close to the action, they can go pound sand.

Remember the old days when we had a fire breather like Cullen or Huesman at DC? We need that badly. A defense takes on the personality of the coordinator.

Eight, you are correct, now unleash all of that political correctness and let's open up our country again and quit polarizing it so someone is not offended, not just at football and basketball games but everywhere. we agree completely....

They don't pay much attention to the fans. They realize the fans don't know what goes on with the program or sometimes even realize what is happening in a game. They also realize the Richmond fan culture. Like most teams they play for the team. They don't get too concerned with fan criticism.

64, I don't recall other team members attending our meets or games many years ago. Our coach would have posters announcing meets, games tournaments and we would place them around campus.... The majority across the lake.

am sure the players don't like it but know the fams detest it, been there. just not needed, certainly have the freedom to do so but just does not sit well and cringe when our own fan base turns on the team. opposing fans love it when their opponents fans go after their own team. these are kids, working their butts off and the deserve better......

NOID....I'm not talking many years ago. I'm talking last 10 years. Maybe you just didn't notice since they were obviously not in uniform. No matter, I just don't get the lack of school spirit if the fellow athletes at UR don't come out and support our teams.

Looked like some of our players had checked out in the second half. One thing that really gets me going is when players quit playing hard. You might be getting your a** kicked out there but you still put in the effort.

64, you think? Fb players attended womens tennis games or baseball players at womens lax in what period of time?

Well if you want to nitpick for the sake of winning I'll concede. But I think you know what I mean. As far as your question about women's tennis or lax I would say attendance would be at about the same level as fan attendance...not so much.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT