ADVERTISEMENT

ELEVEN

WebSpinner

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 7, 2003
got a tad hairy in the top of the 9th but hung on for a 7-5 victory. nine more games at home in this stand, keep it going

Wish we'd closed it out better in 9th, instead of giving up 3 more. But hey, a win is a win. 11 straight is awesome. Keep it going, boys! Take advantage of this long home stand.

Fantastic turnaround by the Diamond Spiders. Stay healthy and this could be a special season.

What we are seeing is: a combination of leadership by the upper classmen, quality pitching depth, good chemistry and a comparatively weak schedule. What is more interesting is what the rest of the A10 is doing--losing. The league seems comparatively weak this season. This team has a tremendous opportunity, although it is early. I don't see this team going into an extended funk--only injuries can de-rail this season.

All that said, this week will tell us where we are. George Mason and Princeton are quality opponents.
This post was edited on 3/12 9:08 AM by Tarantula'sDad
This post was edited on 3/12 9:08 AM by Tarantula'sDad

The Spiders are currently 2nd in the nation with 25 HRs as a team and 1st in the nation with 2.05 HR per game. Hope we can keep this up! Those big sticks will help make up for less than stellar pitched games that will occasionally happen...

9 game home stand coming up:
=============================

No creampuffs in ths group-

Mason(1) 10-5: beat Iowa 12-4,Beat Tek 7-1,Beat WVU 1-0

Princeton(3) 2-5: 3 loses to South Carolina(ranked#2)2-1,6-1,3-1

VCU(1) 10-6

Northeastern(3) 7-4

WM(1) 10-7:plays Quinnipiac 3/13,3/14 in Williamsburg

We won 11 straight in '72. Hope this group can take this much, much farther.

Spiders up 7-1 in the bottom of the 4th versus Mason. Keep it up Richmond!

Spiders doing all they can to give this one away, up 10-9 half way through the 8th.. Score some run in the bottom of the 8th here please.

Goo Moos take it 12 - 10 as our relief pitching doesn't hold up in late innings (they scored 5 in the eighth and 3 in the ninth).

As annoying as this is, at least we were on the right track to win our 12th in a row...

McQueen will figure out what to do with the back end pitching. Nice to see our starters are holding up. Just win the A10 baby!

One has to consider that Brockett pitched 4 times in 7 days. Not a good use of a power pitcher/reliever IMO. Coach needs to use his WHOLE bullpen, not just eight pitchers. It is a looooong season.

if he is using him for multiple innings, yes, but if for a batter or two or an inning, that is what relivers do. why john smoltz hating being a closer as opposed to a starter, messed up his golf game, because he was pitching almost every night.
This post was edited on 3/14 9:23 AM by WebSpinner

Threw 2.2 innings at HPU on Tuesday, then 1/1/1 on Friday/Sunday/Tuesday. These guys aren't pros, and you reap what you sow. Plus, the conference schedule hasn't even started yet, you want to save that kind of activity for when the games count. There were other bullpen options available, especially to see what you've got for later in the year. Bad management of the bullpen, if you ask me. But no one did, so I am just offering my opinion.

did not check the box so was just making a general statement which i feel applies to college or pro. no question that he needs to put fresh guys in there and see what happens, build some depth, have guys ready. coaches settle into patterns and it is like pulling teeth to get them to change it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT