ADVERTISEMENT

Do you approve of the move to the Patriot League?

Do you approve of the move to the Patriot League?

• Yes

Votes: 24 48.0%
  • No

Votes: 26 52.0%

• Total voters
~90% acceptance rate, ~1000–1200 middle 50% SAT, ~60% graduation rate. Those are VCU-like numbers.
Last year, Campbell's football team was stocked with BCS and G5 transfers. Campbell, like Albany, has the opportunity to be an outstanding FCS team. UR, not so much.

Last year, Campbell's football team was stocked with BCS and G5 transfers. Campbell, like Albany, has the opportunity to be an outstanding FCS team. UR, not so much.
LOL!! Last year......we beat them 44-13. Their head coach last year resigned after never winning more than 6 games in 11 seasons.

Regarding FCS playoffs, need to look at percentage of conf. schools that get bids. So Patriot gets 2 out of 8 in & CAA gets 4 bids out of 15/16 schools, then that is a push.

Reactions: VT4700
Endowments:$ Billion

Football budget. ($million)

UR $3.3 ($7.32)

G’town $3.3 ($3.02)

Lehigh $1.75 ($6.63)

Colgate $1.2 ($8.19)

Bucknell $1.1 ($6.98)

Lafayette $1.05 ($7.77)

Holy Cross $1.04 ($7.59)

Fordham $1.0 ($8.50)

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: mojo-spider
With our recent records,playoff selections,financial strength,,UR
is the best looking girl at the debutante ball whose Daddy is rich.
We could have been a member of any FCS conference,except of course
the Ivy League whose membership is a closed society.
We have given the Patriot League an immeasurable uplift to its football conference.
In return,we negotiated things that we wanted and for which other Patriot league coaches should be thankful.

There are 3 FCS conferences, the MVFC, the Big Sky, and the CAA,that get most of the playoff bids. That won't change when UR leaves the CAA.

UR $3.3 ($7.32)

G’town $3.3 ($3.02)

Lehigh $1.75 ($6.63)

Colgate $1.2 ($8.19)

Bucknell $1.1 ($6.98)

Lafayette $1.05 ($7.77)

Holy Cross $1.04 ($7.59)

Fordham $1.0 ($8.50)
Does being #5(out of eight members) in the Patriot League in terms of funding really indicate a UNWAIVERING COMMITMENT TO FOOTBALL???
Typical UR spin. I also question the Endowment figures as being low-balled with the run up in markets and the professional management of Spider Financial Corp or whatever it is called.

UR $3.3 ($7.32)

G’town $3.3 ($3.02)

Lehigh $1.75 ($6.63)

Colgate $1.2 ($8.19)

Bucknell $1.1 ($6.98)

Lafayette $1.05 ($7.77)

Holy Cross $1.04 ($7.59)

Fordham $1.0 ($8.50)
How do those football budgets compare to the current CAA?

Reactions: spiderstudent17
Just for lack of being able to find a better place to put it.

Here are the top 10 FCS to FBS transfers according to this site anyway. Interesting that the CAA had the top three and the article starts mentioning they will do a separate article about the QBs but mentions three that might be the starter for their FBS teams.

Too Holy Cross's credit they had two in the article if you count the QB they had move on, but the CAA had the other two QBS. CAA also had the top 3 at all other positions, one of which unfortunately is a former Spider recruit.

William & Mary, $8,9
Delaware, $8,8
Stony Brook, $7,4
Elon, $6,8
Hampton, $4,1
N.C. A&T, $3,4
I would think that Delaware's and William & Mary's budgets reflect debt service for the bonds on the facility enhancements.

Endowment funds are meaningless to football if you never spend any of it on football.

Understandably not much substance in here...the CAA has great respect for UR and looks forward to having us for one more year, and Hardt and Huesman are class acts.

Reactions: urfan1 and whampas
The Patriot League has only had 9 players drafted into the NFL since the league's inception in 1986. We have very little in common with the Patriot League football teams.

• Haha
Reactions: Dr. Spidey
I agree there is a difference between the CAA and Patriot League.
But there is also a difference between an NFL roster and an NFL draft.

What rounds were those 16 players drafted in June of 2023?

I agree there is a difference between the CAA and Patriot League.
But there is also a difference between an NFL roster and an NFL draft.

What rounds were those 16 players drafted in June of 2023?
The FloSports article about the CAA stated those were players on the roster. The Patriot League article was only draftees. To your point, we don't know if any of the PL players actually made the roster.

Three of the nine PL players were from Holy Cross. One of those was the great Gordie Lockbaum, who had a starting position on both offense and defense- a two-way player for Holy Cross. IIRC, Gordie Lockbaum was a Heisman Trophy finalist. I saw that he did not make an NFL roster.

Reactions: urfan1
Players come to Richmond to play football while getting a quality education. Players go to Alabama believing someday they may play in the NFL.
Your point is well taken. I changed my comment to "Many". For a while there, we had a string of great players, including Brian Jordan (baseball), Tim Hightower and Sean Barber who had long careers in the NFL. They and their position replacements, and many others, honestly believed they were good enough to play in the NFL.

Last edited:
I don't know if players come to Richmond believing they will end up in the NFL. BUT - I think many players believe there is a chance at NFL if they play well. BUT - what is more likely to happen I think with the move from the CAA to Patriot League, UR football will become a stepping stone for players to move up to better 1AA schools or even FBS schools. I don't think anyone goes to Patriot league schools even thinking of the NFL, unless they want to intern for an NFL team.

The Patriot League has only had 9 players drafted into the NFL since the league's inception in 1986. We have very little in common with the Patriot League football teams.

Add some context and note the first year the Pat League began giving our true FB scholarships.

Reactions: urfan1
"I don't think anyone goes to Patriot league schools even thinking of the NFL, unless they want to intern for an NFL team."

Probably true. I think some kids who choose Patriot League schools go there with the intention of someday owning an NFL franchise, not playing for one.

Academically and geographically (since we pull a large amount of our student base from the Northeast), the Patriot league is an ideal fit for UR in every aspect, except Basketball. But given our handling of men's soccer and track to add Lacrosse, and fact that major college basketball is heading in an unknown direction - I would have concerns that one day, in the not too distant future - UR ends up in the Patriot League. I just don't think we are serious enough from a basketball perspective to make that extra push that might be necessary in the next few years, if NIL continues to spiral out of control, and the bigger conferences somehow break off - I think it will be a serious conversation for UR to join this league in all sports. Not hoping to be right here, just a thought in the back of the mind that is a little scary. I think the school is sending a message from a football perspective to clearly step down, that just leaves basketball all along carrying the reason to stay in the A10.

Academically and geographically (since we pull a large amount of our student base from the Northeast), the Patriot league is an ideal fit for UR in every aspect, except Basketball.
No way, the CAA is a better fit for football. It is not even close. It has the reputation as one of the top 3 FCS conferences in the country. The CAA is the premier FCS league in the east. UR has been consistently in the top of the CAA. We have much more in common with Elon, W&M, Nova than we do with Lafayette, Georgetown or Bucknell. The quality of competition in the CAA is better and the quality of players is better. The CAA and UR places players in the NFL. The Patriot League does not. That will hurt recruiting. Once UR joins the Patriot League we will not have a single player make an NFL roster. In the PL we would never have gotten a Brian Jordan, Tim Hightower or a Kyle Lauletta.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT