ADVERTISEMENT

Didn't see this friday

Wish him luck, if he learned much from Dad he should be a good one

I look forward to him being our head coach in about 15 years or so, if the timeline holds true.

Agree that this is a coach we should certainly keep on our radar screen, even if the timeline is in 5-15 years. It pays to keep networking with promising young coaches, and the family tree here is a very strong one. I woudl be surprised if Patrick does not turn out to be a winner, as a coach...

And let me bring everyone back to earth. Not on our radar. He has coached 2 seasons at a DIII school in West Virginia, then does film for the Utah Jazz - he is riding his Dad's coat-tails to get this LeMoyne job. Which is not a bad thing - college coaching is a hard gig to break into and get that first head coach job, but LeMoyne is a DII school so he has a long long way to go before UR even considers it. And likely given our stance in the A10 now, he probably needs at least one D1 coaching stop, if not 2 before UR would consider that type of jump.

Would you like to hire a successful DII coach to our program? I think we are better than that at this point, but then again - a lot can change in 10-15 years.

I just meant that if he's starting to re-live his dad's history, he will go from LeMoyne to Canisius, then to Richmond...

But even that type of jump eight legger - is that where we are or see ourselves being in 10 years?

Lets assume we needed a coach today - would you be excited hiring a young up and coming coach from Canisus in the MAAC conference? Or do we see ourselves at the level of hiring maybe a closer mid-major conference head coach or maybe even a bigger program assistant coach?

Looking at our last 2 hires - JW came from UNC-W of the CAA, when the CAA was much stronger than it is today, and Mooney came from Air Force as basically an assistant and one year head coach for a program in the much better Mountain West Conference.

I guess my thought would be unless the low mid major coach is extremely hot (multiple NCAA bids), I would tend to think UR would be able to get a high level program assistant coach or a head coach at a conference or two below the A10.

I know its a joke in the case of Pat Beilein, but this very well could be a real scenario for UR in the next year or two.

Some on this board, myself included - think if next year is not an NCAA year - does UR go looking for a new coach. And if UR does look for a new coach - who should that candidate be?

Although joking - you bring up an timely topic of discussion since either next season or the following season are most likely NCAA or bust seasons for UR.

I think making the NIT last season as a top seed maybe buys Mooney and company another year if we don't make the NCAA this year, but I can't see any scenario where we don't make the NCAA the next 2 years and a new coach is not coming in. If not replace him - then the administration and school have basically set the expectation for the UR program. Make the NCAA's whenever you can and just recruit good kids and be competitive. Winning is not important, just try hard and be competitive.

Well yeah, that is another topic entirely. If we are looking for a new coach after this year or next year, Pat Beilein will not be a candidate. We will have our pick of any number of top assistants at larger schools or proven successful head coaches a step beneath us.

If we are looking for a coach in 2-3 years, Patrick Beilein's name is not on Gil's rolodex. We either our getting a top level BCS assistant or someone who has already proven themselves as a winner at lower level Division 1 school. We aren't hiring someone from D-2, even if his last name is Beilein.

Agree that PB would not be on a short list for a new Richmond coach in the next 2-3 years, but D2 and D3 coaches regularly get head coaching jobs at D1 programs.

Mike Davis from Randolph-Macon was just hired to be Bucknell's coach. Say what you want about Bucknell, but their recent record against us has been pretty good. Mike Rhoades was at R-MC, went to VCU for a few years (not exactly a high level BCS program) as an assistant, and now he is head coach at Rice.

Mooney was at Beaver College (now Arcadia) which I believe was a D3 program, goes to the USAF Academy (not exactly a basketball powerhouse) for a couple years (one year as head coach), then he is at Richmond (his self professed dream job).

I would have to think that we are now at a level where we would be just as likely to hire an established "name" coach as we would to hire a new up-and-coming young coach.

I would say that the odds are very small that we would directly hire a D2 or D3 head hoops coach, but I wouldn't discount the idea completely.

I don't care where a guy comes from. If we decide he's the right guy, you hire him. But hopefully in my mind, that's not until CM retires in 20 years or so after re-writing the UR record books.

Reactions: Ulla1
Well, this took a strange turn rather quickly...

I agree with you Mo -- I hate to see a thread hijacked especially to a negative

I'm going to start a thread about native, medicinal herbs of the southwest and watch it get hijacked, ultimately boomeranging back to UR basketball. It will likely be a first....

I'm going to start a thread about native, medicinal herbs of the southwest and watch it get hijacked, ultimately boomeranging back to UR basketball. It will likely be a first....
Tbone, you are correct; it's a bit ridiculous.

I don't think the thought of replacing Mooney is crazy. It is part of the business.

As of today - we are 4 seasons removed from our last NCAA appearance. During that time - we have one NIT appearance. We just lost our best player (Anthony) to graduation, and best shot blocker (ANO) to transfer and two of our frosh have decided to transfer. Even with all of that - it still looks like next year is an NCAA year for the Spiders. They have put together an NCAA caliber schedule, and UR should be a pre-season top 4 team in the A10, which I think it most years gets you on the bubble.

But what happens if we don't make the NCAA next season? Do you think about replacing Mooney then? Its never too early to start thinking about these things because the other factor is - what hot coaches are available or could you potentially get.

I personally think the NIT bought Mooney another year. Meaning if he doesn't make the NCAA next season, I think he deserves one more year. But still - you need to keep an eye out for the coaches coming up or looking for jobs. Of course Beilein is not that person, but its with 4 years of no NCAA appearances, the thought should be in the back of the administration minds. Get the list going, get the roladex of coaches out.

If we had made the NCAA last year, would we have this discussion - of course not. Mooney would be safe for 4 more years. But that didn't happen, and for me - the goal of our basketball team is NCAA appearances. 5-6 years without an appearance - that might be too many for my liking. And next year is year 5.

but this continually comes up, usually by the same handful of posters. Gill has to always be looking just in case. we fans don't. CM's a good coach and a great representative of UR. we're lucky to have him.

Reactions: UR Fan 2 and Ulla1
Mooney is not going anywhere by way of UR acting first. Stirring the pot on a message board will not change that. He is locked in for this year and next. Only way he goes is voluntarily after he takes us to the Sweet 16 this year!

Mooney is not going anywhere by way of UR acting first. Stirring the pot on a message board will not change that. He is locked in for this year and next. Only way he goes is voluntarily after he takes us to the Sweet 16 this year!

Rest easy. No major program (a step up) is trying to steal Mooney away from Richmond.

Getting back on topic, congrats to Patrick - a player who almost played for UR

Personally, I like stability. Fans at places like Alabama, Charlotte, and others wish that their programs had the stability that we do. An NCAA bid this year, coupled with great Fall and Spring recruiting classes, could kick UR into a higher gear, just like all of us want to see. Can't wait.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT