ADVERTISEMENT

Delaware

This is not on Delaware or Rocco this is on us, at it's Huesman's team and he needs to fix it.
The operative word in that post is "fix". The one thing that I will forever give London credit is when he came in he didn't try to fix what wasn't broke. You're right, Huesman NOW owns it and it's broken.

Once again I don't think we can stress enough how all of this has to do with coaching. If we still had Rocco we would be 6 and 1 right now, guarantee it. If Delaware didn't have Rocco they would be a below 500 team, guarantee it. This just sucks because its the schools fault that this has happened. Huesman just isn't the guy and it's time that we start to face that. I'm willing to give him another year or two but this start doesn't give me much reason to believe that we will be better, I think it will only get worse. Maybe changing assistants will do something, who knows? Bottom line is that this guy was given one of the most talented rosters in the nation and he has underachieved big time with it. Meanwhile Rocco has a severely undermanned roster, particularly on offense. However Rocco's team is better. Why? Because he is a far better head coach than this idiot that we have.

I was merely responding to Mojo's contention that Rocco had the team playing better down the stretch. All three playoff teams lost two of their final 3 regular season games. That's not opinion, that's a fact.
but including playoff games spiders were 2 of 4, 3 of 4 and 2 of 4, and we made the playoffs. (And yes that's where injuries for a school without a lot of depth can hurt.) our Nov schedule is often full of playoff teams (JMU 2x) Nova NH etc. and an unpredictable game with WM

Once again I don't think we can stress enough how all of this has to do with coaching. If we still had Rocco we would be 6 and 1 right now, guarantee it. If Delaware didn't have Rocco they would be a below 500 team, guarantee it. This just sucks because its the schools fault that this has happened. Huesman just isn't the guy and it's time that we start to face that. I'm willing to give him another year or two but this start doesn't give me much reason to believe that we will be better, I think it will only get worse. Maybe changing assistants will do something, who knows? Bottom line is that this guy was given one of the most talented rosters in the nation and he has underachieved big time with it. Meanwhile Rocco has a severely undermanned roster, particularly on offense. However Rocco's team is better. Why? Because he is a far better head coach than this idiot that we have.
it's all irrelevant now, damage done (and I won't forget that or whose watch it happened on and the fact that we'll have to continue to be reminded of it every season is terrible.) That said; considering the horrible circumstances I think Huesman was a good hire (admittedly yet to be determined) and thanks to the donors that made it happen.

AND by the way can we please take Gills photo off the sites picture rotation.

but including playoff games spiders were 2 of 4, 3 of 4 and 2 of 4, and we made the playoffs. (And yes that's where injuries for a school without a lot of depth can hurt.) our Nov schedule is often full of playoff teams (JMU 2x) Nova NH etc. and an unpredictable game with WM
OK man, I give up. If 3-6 in your November regular season games is considered "finishing strong" then we just have a different definition.
Thank goodness the committee gave us two MEAC opponents for the play-in round.

We agree that Huesman was a good hire and will be successful at UR. I'm just not buying that "Rocco is so much better than Russ" based on one game (and I know that you are not making that argument).

I'm sorry Mojo, but we did not finish strong under Rocco, except for the 6-6 year. In fact, we dropped two of our last three games in each of the past 3 seasons.

We got absolutely blasted by Eastern Washington and Coastal Carolina and the team looked woefully unprepared each time. Those teams were not that much better than us. And "There is no plan B" last year?

We won one playoff game that could be considered unexpected - Illinois State.
thanks Choppin...my wife often advises me to think before speaking...I was too lazy to look it up!

obviously my case for Rocco having his team's playing their best at crunch time isn't as convincing as I thought I remembered...

however, after looking at season's 2012-2016, I'll settle for believing Rocco had his teams ready to win the games it needed to win to get into the Playoffs... 5-3 in the Playoffs 2014-2016...were we favored at North Dakota?

Go Spiders!

OK man, I give up. If 3-6 in your November regular season games is considered "finishing strong" then we just have a different definition.
Thank goodness the committee gave us two MEAC opponents for the play-in round.

We agree that Huesman was a good hire and will be successful at UR. I'm just not buying that "Rocco is so much better than Russ" based on one game (and I know that you are not making that argument).
You're right I'm not even prepared to say Huesman is or isn't a good coach. If Rocco was still here we'd all be perfectly happy. For me some posters here try to minimize Rocco's leaving by nit picking his performance. The reality is Rocco was a proven winner. I didn't like the soft coverage by the DB's and other some other stuff etc. but he was a winner. it's shameful we lost him and my bet is he'll do well at Delaware. I just hope we'll do well with Huesman.

It's rare that a very talented team can go through a coaching change and perform without missing a beat – or better. We were spoiled when London came here and elevated us, and we saw JMU do it with Houston last year. That's not the norm, though. Lots of adjustments, players who aren't fit for certain schemes, coaches trying to shift their preferred schemes to fit the talent this year, etc. That is a tough thing to pull off, as we have seen.

Huesman is not an "idiot" or a terrible coach. He is a very good coach, and we will be a very good team again soon.

It's rare that a very talented team can go through a coaching change and perform without missing a beat – or better. We were spoiled when London came here and elevated us, and we saw JMU do it with Houston last year. That's not the norm, though. Lots of adjustments, players who aren't fit for certain schemes, coaches trying to shift their preferred schemes to fit the talent this year, etc. That is a tough thing to pull off, as we have seen.

Huesman is not an "idiot" or a terrible coach. He is a very good coach, and we will be a very good team again soon.
We don't know any of this, one way or the other. time will tell. Oh one small self correction I agree he is not an idiot.

Talented yes at some positions but Rocco conceded defense and online for skilled offensive weapons that we surely have but a good defense always wins games
Mr. vision and "the process" man knew when to bail out!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Spiderwiz
You guys complain about Rocco leaving the cupboard bear, I don't see where anyone gives him credit for recruiting Lauletta. Where would we be without him?

I give him a ton of credit for recruiting Kyle and many others, I do think he left a number of holes in the last several classes
I don't think he ever ran a 4-2-5 defense. Also, if you are playing a running team, you stack the box and make them throw the ball. JMHO.

We won't be worth a damn next year either or for as long as Huesman is a head coach. He sucks! Bottom line. I hope he is gone pretty soon. We need to start thinking about a new head coach pretty soon. Hopefully with the new athletic director we can start thinking about the direction the program is moving, and do something to move it back in the right direction. Maybe swipe away someone like Elons head coach or possibly even Will Healy.

Well time is about up. As I've said before, if we still had Rocco we would be 6 and 1 or 7 and 0 right now. UD would likely be 3 and 4 or 2 and 5 without him. Instead we are 4 and 3 because we have an obvious downgrade at head coach. We have a great level of talent but don't win with it because we have a s*** head coach. Anyone who argues this is stupid.

Well time is about up. As I've said before, if we still had Rocco we would be 6 and 1 or 7 and 0 right now. UD would likely be 3 and 4 or 2 and 5 without him. Instead we are 4 and 3 because we have an obvious downgrade at head coach. We have a great level of talent but don't win with it because we have a s*** head coach. Anyone who argues this is stupid.
I plead stupidity.

The ignore button is your friend.

The other coach he claimed was an "idiot" based on a press conference is 8-0, and if not for the Celebration Bowl would be on track to get a bye in the FCS playoffs.

The ignore button is your friend.

The other coach he claimed was an "idiot" based on a press conference is 8-0, and if not for the Celebration Bowl would be on track to get a bye in the FCS playoffs.
NC A&T is terrible. We washed them last year with and undermanned team.

You may know him personally since you're both from northern va so I'll try not to be insulting. Helkowski at best has been mediocre for the past three years. He's had more kicks blocked than most D1 punters, and while that's not always the punters fault, he is incredibly slow. He is a zero threat to ever fake, which means our opponents don't have to hold back. And if there's a bad snap there's zero chance that he can scramble away.

After starting every game for 4 years, I expected improvement but haven't seen it.

Well I eat my words "He is a zero threat to ever fake", very nice job by D.J. in a pressure situation. It's just a shame that the effort was wasted when we couldn't score.
We better have more tricks in the bag if we want to win these last three games. Gimmick plays can backfire for sure; but they can also be game changers. And who doesn't love it when they work? Plus if our opponents know we might try something, they have to prepare for it. LA Rams punter Johnny Hekker, who also is the holder on placekicks, has been successful on numerous fakes while doing both jobs. I heard one NFL coach being interviewed, and he said he team always has to prepare differently when playing against Hekker because of his success. Just one more thing they have to be concerned about.

Our acceptance and excuses for our pathetic basketball program plus the talent drain of good people leaving for lateral jobs is a toxic mix for UR Athletics.

Hardt better be ready to work. This is a big loss for us.

Last edited:
Reactions: whampas
When we allowed them to cherry pick Jordan Burgess from our midst one month ago and we did nothing about it,Scott Day lost a very good friend and a real contributor to our athletic image creation.He worked tirelessly.

http://www.bluehens.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=29100&ATCLID=211689627

Losing Scott Day is now an even a bigger blow.Scott worked tirelessly as well.He gets it and seriously elevated the PR group from its Mom and Pop former self.Scott is a pro who knows how to run a department which vastly enhanced our visibility with alums,casual observers,ticket holders and more importantly with recruits.

The void in leadership at the top allowed this to occur.UD remains aggressive and UR acts like a deer in the headlights.

There will be more defections from within the Robins Center.The less capable employees(of which there are many) will stay and collect their checks while the real contributors will be exiting with an eye toward New-Ark.It seems they recognize real talent and reward them accordingly.

Last edited:
Reactions: MolivaManiac
When we allowed them to cherry pick Jordan Burgess from our midst one month ago and we did nothing about it,Scott Day lost a very good friend and a real contributor to our athletic image creation.He worked tirelessly.

http://www.bluehens.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=29100&ATCLID=211689627

Losing Scott Day is now an even a bigger blow.Scott worked tirelessly as well.He gets it and seriously elevated the PR group from its Mom and Pop former self.Scott is a pro who knows how to run a department which vastly enhanced our visibility with alums,casual observers,ticket holders and more importantly with recruits.

The void in leadership at the top allowed this to occur.UD remains aggressive and UR acts like a deer in the headlights.

There will be more defections from within the Robins Center.The less capable employees(of which there are many) will stay and collect their checks while the real contributors will be exiting with an eye toward New-Ark.It seems they recognize real talent and reward them accordingly.

Will they poach a little Hokie from our boards?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT