ADVERTISEMENT

Delaware

Disappointing loss with some questionable calls by our staff, for sure. Where were all the Richmond supporters that said they were coming? That was disappointing too.

I was there and got called a pain in the ass by a Delaware fan, I did my job. I do think the turnout wasn't bad though considering our slow start this year and general apathy among the fan base. Saw quite a few familiar faces.

Huesman is a defensive coach. Our defense sucks right now. This will not remain the case in the future. But for whatever reason, it is the case this year and it's unfortunate. This is the worst defensive unit I remember maybe since the days of Jim Marshall.

Disappointing loss with some questionable calls by our staff, for sure. Where were all the Richmond supporters that said they were coming? That was disappointing too.
No what is disappointing is you telling the rest of the world how the rest of the world should act.

No what is disappointing is you telling the rest of the world how the rest of the world should act.

Tell me more.

As for the game, I actually thought we did a decent job protecting Kyle and getting a few yards on the ground. We gave up way too much on Special Teams and we couldn't make big plays when we needed to on D. We need more explosive players for our defensive front in the next few recruiting cycles badly.

When you can’t line up and run the ball for a yard when you need it and you can’t stop the run, this is what happens. Disappointing, but this was the hand Russ was dealt. We simply don’t have the talent on defense right now. He will get the right players here and be very successful. That said, yesterday’s result is highly annoying.

Reactions: UR#1
Also is Helkowski being told to keep the punt low or to squib the punt every time?
Surely there is someone else who can punt better then him on the team. Cherson
can rarely sniff the end zone on KIck Offs and then we give up 20+ yard returns.
Don't blame Huesman, the previous coach's recruiting has us where we are now.

Reactions: SpiderRick
Where were all the Richmond supporters that said they were coming? That was disappointing too.

OK, I’ll bite. I had every intention of going to the game and would have loved to be there. I stayed home and coached my kids baseball teams. I have already missed a couple of their games to attend UR football games and both my kids and I will miss next week for a full tailgate before the SB game. That’s why I wasn’t there.

Also is Helkowski being told to keep the punt low or to squib the punt every time?
can rarely sniff the end zone on KIck Offs and then we give up 20+ yard returns.

Russ has not had the time to backfill the losses of:

Defense:Charles Mack,Shelton Hodge,Kieran Gregory,Omar Howard,Joe Nelson,DeAnthony Muse,Winston Craig,David Jones

Offense:Nick Velardo,Thomas Evans,Nick Vergos

Injured:Billy Caughell,Taz Sumpter,Will Ingle,Andre Booker

Losing big bodies on defense and offensive linemen who opened running holes-not just pass protectors for Kyle.

Rocco knew that the cupboard was 1/2 empty when he left Dodge.Clever exit strategy using “vision” as your excuse.

Russ has not had the time to backfill the losses of:

Defense:Charles Mack,Shelton Hodge,Kieran Gregory,Omar Howard,Joe Nelson,DeAnthony Muse,Winston Craig,David Jones

Offense:Nick Velardo,Thomas Evans,Nick Vergos

Injured:Billy Caughell,Taz Sumpter,Will Ingle,Andre Booker

Losing big bodies on defense and offensive linemen who opened running holes-not just pass protectors for Kyle.

Rocco knew that the cupboard was 1/2 empty when he left Dodge.Clever exit strategy using “vision” as your excuse.

and that defense gave up 30+ points on 6 occassions.

and that defense gave up 30+ points on 6 occassions.

I’ll take a 20 pts Defense vs UVA any day

I’ll take 0 pts Defense vs NSU any day

I’ll take a 31 pts Defense vs Colgate any day(we let 2s play too early)

I’ll take 28 pts Defense vs Towson any day

I’ll take 30 pts Defense vs Albany any day(in 3 OTs)

I’ll take 0 pts Defense vs Nova any day

I’ll take 7 pts Defense vs Elon any day

I’ll take 17 pts Defense vs Delaware any day

I’ll take 10 pts Defense vs NCA&T any day

I’ll take 24 pts Defense vs North Dakota any day

Madison was a shoot out.StonyBrook was an embarrassing anamoly.Versus the Tribe had High School QB playing after Kyle went down and a wounded Clise- both contributed to picks and easy field position.EWU we ran out of jet fuel miles and 5F weather.

Lurker-Any other points you want to bring up?Give us some more in depth insight.

Last edited:

Madison was a shoot out.StonyBrook was an embarrassing anamoly.Versus the Tribe had High School QB playing after Kyle went down and a wounded Clise- both contributed to picks and easy field position.EWU we ran out of jet fuel miles and 5F weather.

Lurker-Any other points you want to bring up?Give us some more in depth insight.
How is any of this relevant?

Have you ever had an employee or coworker you thought was great, who suddenly took another job, and then after he was gone you went through his assignments and realized he'd been slacking off and simply got out before he could be held accountable?
come on he was here 5 years, worse record was 6-6.

32, i actually agree w/ you. Last year's D was good, not great and we lost some talent that has not been replaced.

its the trend line that was most impressive...when the games got most important the defense came up big...I attribute a good bit of the improvement to Rocco's staff and their coaching...

it seemed to me that over his five seasons Rocco's teams always played their best football at the end of the seasons...to me this is one sign of a good coach...his team plays better as the season progresses and is playing their best at Playoff time...

this season has not run its course yet, but so far our team has not been able to improve its weaknesses against quality opponents...this worries me...hoping for better starting with Stony B. but sadly not really expecting it...

Go Spiders!

Reactions: spiderjpo
Huesman has instructed Helkowski to punt the ball low in a rugby style the entire season!! The only time he is allowed to punt the ball with any hangtime is on pooch punts, which by the way he put 2 and should have been 3 if the guy catches it inside the 10 yd. line last week against Towson. This is something Huesman brought with him from Chatty and he will not change it. So....the next time you see a 10 foot high worm burner that hits and goes about 30 yards, understand it's Huesman's decision to have him do it.

come on he was here 5 years, worse record was 6-6.
He had a good record yes. I'm saying he got out before the recruiting failures in the trenches came home to roost. We've got an entire defense of his that doesn't seem to be able to tackle.

It's a lot easier to land a high paying job off a playoff appearance than after fading back to mediocrity.

He had a good record yes. I'm saying he got out before the recruiting failures in the trenches came home to roost. We've got an entire defense of his that doesn't seem to be able to tackle.

It's a lot easier to land a high paying job off a playoff appearance than after fading back to mediocrity.
I think this and Mo's previous post along the same line is absolutely spot on. The irony in all of this, from that little snake, is the fact that he's now piping off about what a signature win this is for the Delaware program. He and the whole Delaware nation dismisses us until they finally beat us then it's earth shaking. Screw the whole bunch, cant wait until Russ loads up for them.

Huesman has instructed Helkowski to punt the ball low in a rugby style the entire season!! The only time he is allowed to punt the ball with any hangtime is on pooch punts, which by the way he put 2 and should have been 3 if the guy catches it inside the 10 yd. line last week against Towson. This is something Huesman brought with him from Chatty and he will not change it. So....the next time you see a 10 foot high worm burner that hits and goes about 30 yards, understand it's Huesman's decision to have him do it.

You may know him personally since you're both from northern va so I'll try not to be insulting. Helkowski at best has been mediocre for the past three years. He's had more kicks blocked than most D1 punters, and while that's not always the punters fault, he is incredibly slow. He is a zero threat to ever fake, which means our opponents don't have to hold back. And if there's a bad snap there's zero chance that he can scramble away.

After starting every game for 4 years, I expected improvement but haven't seen it.

Reactions: CarolinaSpider
You may know him personally since you're both from northern va so I'll try not to be insulting. Helkowski at best has been mediocre for the past three years. He's had more kicks blocked than most D1 punters, and while that's not always the punters fault, he is incredibly slow. He is a zero threat to ever fake, which means our opponents don't have to hold back. And if there's a bad snap there's zero chance that he can scramble away.

After starting every game for 4 years, I expected improvement but haven't seen it.
I agree. Another Rocco miss.

Reactions: CarolinaSpider
I disagree that Rocco bolted because he believed our lines, particularly the D line, would not allow him to continue to be a winner at Richmond. Speculation, and not fact based IMO. He knows how to work around weaknesses, compensate for weaknesses, ala beating us and others with zero passing attack.

I believe we gave away one of the absolute best coaches at the FCS level. Self-inflicted wound. However, Huesman can coach, but the new D is a sharp change and the players were not recruited to play it. Give Russ some time. The Spiders will be fine.

All that said, I am still butt sore from yesterday. Should not have happened.

it seemed to me that over his five seasons Rocco's teams always played their best football at the end of the seasons...to me this is one sign of a good coach...his team plays better as the season progresses and is playing their best at Playoff time...

I'm sorry Mojo, but we did not finish strong under Rocco, except for the 6-6 year. In fact, we dropped two of our last three games in each of the past 3 seasons.

We got absolutely blasted by Eastern Washington and Coastal Carolina and the team looked woefully unprepared each time. Those teams were not that much better than us. And "There is no plan B" last year?

We won one playoff game that could be considered unexpected - Illinois State.

Thank goodness we have such an expert on here to determine what is slow get off time for punts and what isn't. Just like he's the expert on the kickoffs. What he must not know is that Chereson is being told to kick them short to the corners almost every time, but all he ever does is criticize the lack of touchbacks. Some people on here you should not bother to listen to since they have absolutely no idea of what they are saying.

I'm sorry Mojo, but we did not finish strong under Rocco, .....

We got absolutely blasted by Eastern Washington and Coastal Carolina and the team looked woefully unprepared each time. Those teams were not that much better than us. And "There is no plan B" last year?
His plan B was the QB David Broadus, who was kicked off the team by Keith Gill and Ronald Crutcher. So, they burned the red shirt of Kevin Johnson. Have you forgotten? In response, Danny Rocco quit to go to Delaware and Keith Gill was fired. And his undermanned team just beat his former team in 2OTs.

His plan B was the QB David Broadus, who was kicked off the team by Keith Gill and Ronald Crutcher. So, they burned the red shirt of Kevin Johnson. Have you forgotten? In response, Danny Rocco quit to go to Delaware and Keith Gill was fired. And his undermanned team just beat his former team in 2OTs.

Thank goodness we have such an expert on here to determine what is slow get off time for punts and what isn't. Just like he's the expert on the kickoffs. What he must not know is that Chereson is being told to kick them short to the corners almost every time, but all he ever does is criticize the lack of touchbacks. Some people on here you should not bother to listen to since they have absolutely no idea of what they are saying.

You are right sir, I'm no expert. But after playing and watching football for 60 years, I don't have to be an expert to know slow when I see it.

And you don't have to be an expert to know that if he could kick it into the endzone, he would be kicking it in the endzone and not pooching it short.

This is a forum of ordinary people expressing opinions, not experts giving expert analysis. I know I'm ordinary and I'm very comfortable with it thank you very much.

Of course I remember. But HE fielded a team without a healthy QB2.

The point still stands...Rocco's teams did NOT finish the regular season strong.

FCS football is also a game of attrition, he has lost multiple player for the season, we'll see if he has enough depth to keep plugging in new pieces

Just to clarify, John could kick a touchback each time but instead kicks it to the 5? Swing by practice one day and find me a time where John kicks 2 straight touchbacks on his own time (warming up, not while Huesman is running practice). You won't see it. Not faulting John at all, but don't make the claim that we have a touchback guy when we don't.

Reactions: Hanca
I think this and Mo's previous post along the same line is absolutely spot on. The irony in all of this, from that little snake, is the fact that he's now piping off about what a signature win this is for the Delaware program. He and the whole Delaware nation dismisses us until they finally beat us then it's earth shaking. Screw the whole bunch, cant wait until Russ loads up for them.
This is not on Delaware or Rocco this is on us, at it's Huesman's team and he needs to fix it.

FCS football is also a game of attrition, he has lost multiple player for the season, we'll see if he has enough depth to keep plugging in new pieces
this position might hold water except we been losing game from day one.

Of course I remember. But HE fielded a team without a healthy QB2.

The point still stands...Rocco's teams did NOT finish the regular season strong.
you make the playoffs three years in a row and you can't finish strong? Really. Why the fixation on Rocco, Gill and his boss blew this and blew it badly now we'll have to wait and see if the replacement can keep our program playing at the same level it was. So far it's not looking good. Beat the Seawolves

Reactions: Spidermaniac
you make the playoffs three years in a row and you can't finish strong? Really.

I was merely responding to Mojo's contention that Rocco had the team playing better down the stretch. All three playoff teams lost two of their final 3 regular season games. That's not opinion, that's a fact.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT