ADVERTISEMENT

Delaware jumping to FBS and C-USA

SFspidur

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
Section9 posted this over in the basketball forum, but probably more interest and more appropriate for discussion here.

CAA is already huge and Bryant is coming in next year, so there's no real need to backfill UD's spot, but it's not good to keep losing teams from the top and adding at the bottom. Such is the pecking order though.

Reactions: urfan1
Another long time rival gone by the way of UMASS and JMU. Not sure how y'all feel but we need to find a new home be it SOCON or a revitalized A10. I have 0 interest in following most the teams in our conference with the exception of NOVA, WM and Elon.

Reactions: mojo-spider
There's no path to A-10 football with only us and URI remaining, even if Fordham wanted to come along. Convincing Davidson, Dayton, and Duquesne to elevate would be a long shot and not be in position to help quality-wise. Nobody else of significance would be ripe to add as an affiliate.

The SoCon idea has some appeal if the Tribe were willing to come along. Elon would be a nice add too, though they just came from the SoCon not so long ago. 'Nova would of course be welcome to come along too, but I think they're probably too much of a geographic outlier to do it. But maybe if there's enough desperation with UD gone and the longer-term southern wing of the CAA taking some quality away, it would be a possibility. (SoCon would of course also have to be willing to put that additional travel on its members.)

I guess it makes sense for Delaware to make this move. I do wonder if Patriot League or SoCon (preferably) would be a better fit for UR Football than the CAA as now comprised.

Reactions: GKiller
There's no path to A-10 football with only us and URI remaining, even if Fordham wanted to come along. Convincing Davidson, Dayton, and Duquesne to elevate would be a long shot and not be in position to help quality-wise. Nobody else of significance would be ripe to add as an affiliate.

The SoCon idea has some appeal if the Tribe were willing to come along. Elon would be a nice add too, though they just came from the SoCon not so long ago. 'Nova would of course be welcome to come along too, but I think they're probably too much of a geographic outlier to do it. But maybe if there's enough desperation with UD gone and the longer-term southern wing of the CAA taking some quality away, it would be a possibility. (SoCon would of course also have to be willing to put that additional travel on its members.)
Agree with your first paragraph.

I might argue that the SoCon might be a better league even if W&M and Elon don't come along.

I share most of the same thoughts here and for the most part I agree with all this, but I think you could maybe convince UNH/Maine to come along. Duquense is already scholarship though I am not sure if they hit 63 or a lesser number? I also imagine Nova would come along for that ride and maybe ask Georgetown if they're interested. The only downside I see to an A10 is leaving WM but imagine wed keep them as a non con game.

I do understand how tricky this is, but all I know is we need to start thinking of something. Didn't get season tickets this year and probably won't anytime soon until we have a more stable set of traditional opponents worth watching. These teams just don't move the needle for me like Delaware, JMU, ODU(albiet short), UMASS. And sorry Hampton, NCAT, Monmouth and Bryant are not suitable replacements imo.

Elon left for the CAA when it was a stronger conference so they may be open to the idea. SOCON to me would be more fun. Could probably break it into divisions to ease travel concerns.

UR/WM/VMI/Elon/Wofford/Furman
Mercer/Chatanooga/Citadel/Samford/ETSU/WCU

Based on Sagarin ratings, W&M and Elon would be right in the middle of the SoCon this year.

118. Villanova
132. Furman
152. Chatty
156. Richmond
157. Mercer
160. Western Carolina
168. W&M
169. Samford
170. Elon
202. VMI
207. Wofford
214. ETSU
248. Citadel

SoCon's 200+ group is pretty similar to the CAA's: Maine (209), A&T (223), Hampton (229), Stony Brook (240), but since it's a smaller conference, I'd like to see a few more additions in the "middle-plus" range to help offset.

W&M and Elon are strong enough that they clearly tilt the balance if the three of us move as a group. If they stay and we move alone, that's six SoCon programs at 170 or better. CAA minus UD and us would have five. CAA of course has another four in the 170–200 range that SoCon is missing.

Would the SoCon take us for football only? They seem pretty set to me.

I share most of the same thoughts here and for the most part I agree with all this, but I think you could maybe convince UNH/Maine to come along. Duquense is already scholarship though I am not sure if they hit 63 or a lesser number? I also imagine Nova would come along for that ride and maybe ask Georgetown if they're interested. The only downside I see to an A10 is leaving WM but imagine wed keep them as a non con game.
I was thinking in terms of an actual "A-10" conference where the A-10 would have control with a majority of programs. But yes, you could do something separate where a group of the top CAA football programs broke away to some other entity not necessarily tied to A-10.

NEC has a 45-ship limit, I believe, so Duquesne wouldn't be at the max right now. Does Georgetown even offer scholarships yet? I know they didn't for a while even after the Patriot added them.

It feels like FCS is dying a slow death. I think UR would be wise to look at the So Con if we could get in. I do wonder that when all the dust settles with the large schools money grab if the top of FCS and the lower FBS conferences like C-USA, Sun Belt, MAC, ect will merge. I think there is some appetite for regional college football with some TV money available if done right. I think it is inevitable that conferences like the SEC and Big 10 wont be sharing money with lower level FBS leagues much longer.

Reactions: GKiller
none of the FCS options are really all that appealing at this point. SoCon & CAA are both so depleted. Maybe all I need to hope for is that we continue to fund the sport long enough to see the dust settle on the new landscape. As mentioned, feels like eventually there will be a reset.

It's too bad I but don't think anyone is really surprised. The level of comp in FCS has continued to go down losing a lot of strong programs to the FBS. It's 1 of the reasons I think ppl were more down on Huesman. We made a great turnaround this year but UR really should never be outside the top 25 with the teams in FCS today and the kind of schedule now playing.

Just some thoughts to throw in.

There are 16 teams left in the playoffs at this point. All 16 come from MVFC, SOCO, Big Sky and CAA. Pretty much if Richmond wants to try to win the Patriot League and go home after week 1 each time they make the playoffs, that is where IMO they would be heading if Richmond went there. Better conference, better recruits.

Delaware will still be in conference next year if I read it right.

I tend to think Monmouth and Campbell will make their way up as quality teams in the CAA. New Hampshire, Elon, W&M, and Nova will likely stay relevant most years, and Rhode Island, Albany (their QB is only a SOPH I think, so probably not down at least two more years) and even Maine and/or Towson will have up and down years. I would think as time goes on, Spiders will get Elon, Campbell and W&M as quality opponents most years and hopefully catch one of the other better programs each year.
That is enough if you schedule a pretty good one OOC (Furman home and home is a start).

The Southern Conference might be better, but if go to Southern Conference with W&M and Elon, does it cause unbalanced schedules in that conference? Plus, fly to Chattanooga or fly to Maine or New Hampshire, take your pick.
I would also think the average bus rides to conference mates would be longer to Southern, since W&M, Hampton, Campbell, NC A&T are all three hours or less. Furman, Wofford, WCU, Citadel are probably six hours or more, Nova and Towson are that close or closer I would think.

The basketball side could be a downgrade, I think (idk enough) in Southern, and I would think Patriot as well.

Couple of thoughts turning into a book, just things that came to mind.

Reactions: urfan1
The CAA is a very good fit for UR football. Villanova, New Hampshire, Maine, W&M, Towson, and Elon are excellent football programs. Albany is a very good program this year. Stony Brook has been a good program in year's past. The CAA is not losing much with Delaware moving on. The Southern schools that were added- NC A&T, Hampton and Campbell were all intermittantly good and will adjust to the CAA. The A&T coach is very good and came from W&M. Campbell is well-positioned. The quality of play will improve with these schools. Remember, we did lose to Morgan State and Hampton this year. The Hampton game wasn't close.

Maybe if Cooper hadn’t pissed off the neighborhood we wouldn’t have gotten stonewalled in 2001 and could have pulled off the Bandy Field acquisition. We’d likely be in the PAC12 now 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Eight Legger
Delaware is more like UConn and UMass than JMU. JMU played at the highest level of FCS for 10 years. Delaware cant even win the Colonial. They are not prepared.

Lots of movement still to come on the college football landscape but in the meantime there is no reason why we shouldn't aspire to be top 2-3 in the CAA every year as it's currently constructed. Some very good, solid teams in the conference but no JMU juggernaut to deal with. Great opportunity to keep growing the program and become the flagship team of the CAA.

Should be us, Nova and W&M most years, with one or two of New Hampshire, Albany, Elon and Rhody potentially there any given year as well.

Should be us, Nova and W&M most years, with one or two of New Hampshire, Albany, Elon and Rhody potentially there any given year as well.
UR
W&M
Elon
Villanova
UNH
UAlbany

maybe Towson and URI second tier. Stony Brook and Maine solid 2nd tier. Campbell lower level of the 2nd tier. That's 11 solid teams if they all want to play at the highest level.

Monmouth, Hampton, Bryant, A&T are the anchors. If we look past these teams there are some good programs in the CAA.

Here is a better rank of the programs in the conference.
  1. Villanova
  2. W&M
  3. UNH
  4. UR
  5. Elon
  6. Maine
  7. UAlbany
  8. Towson
  9. Rhode Island
  10. Stony Brook
  11. A&T
  12. Campbell
  13. Hampton
  14. Monmouth
  15. Bryant
Those with the best upside are 1) Albany, 2) URI, 3) A&T, 4) Campbell.
The most likely to falter in the coming years: 1) UR, 2) W&M, 3) Hampton, 4) Stony Brook.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the northern schools break off and form a conference of their own.

UR
W&M
Elon
Villanova
UNH
UAlbany

maybe Towson and URI second tier. Stony Brook and Maine solid 2nd tier. Campbell lower level of the 2nd tier. That's 11 solid teams if they all want to play at the highest level.

Monmouth, Hampton, Bryant, A&T are the anchors. If we look past these teams there are some good programs in the CAA.
I don't think Monmouth or Hampton will settle for being anchors, I expect them to challenge.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the northern schools break off and form a conference of their own.
I disagree. The trend for conferences is consolidation. The larger the conference, the more influence it will wield and the greater economies of scale it will realize. The CAA is one of the top 3 conferences in FCS. It is a good mid-major conference in basketball. League influence will diminish in football if they split up. Are new start-up leagues allowed an automatic qualifier?

Last edited:
I thought any league with at least six members got an autobid? That said, I agree that addition is more likely than subtraction.

I have always viewed Rhody as a program that should be good consistently. Only recently have they started to demonstrate that potential. But it's a state school, can admit whoever, and in theory could/should be atop this league often. Facilities might be a hindrance, though, not sure.

I thought any league with at least six members got an autobid? That said, I agree that addition is more likely than subtraction.

I have always viewed Rhody as a program that should be good consistently. Only recently have they started to demonstrate that potential. But it's a state school, can admit whoever, and in theory could/should be atop this league often. Facilities might be a hindrance, though, not sure.
Below is a plan they hope comes together. Good call on the facilities angle. The subject actually has its own thread on AGS. I had not opened it until I saw your post and stole this little bit from it.

The good news is help is potentially finally on the way. Currently in the governor's budget there is $42 million dollars to replace/renovate Meade Stadium. If that line item makes it through the legislative process work can begin on Meade as early as July 1st (though that date wouldn't really be feasible since the budget process will probably go right until the end of June) with us hopefully playing games in a newly renovated stadium as early as the 2025 season.

Reactions: Eight Legger
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT