ADVERTISEMENT

Danny foresees cost of attendance stipend questions in future recruiting

bet we recruit a lot of kids who have low level fbs offers and think it will hurt that part of the program as opposed to kids transferring out to fbs later. some but think more upfront than later.

If we want to compete nationally, we need to stipend all scholarship athletes.

just to be fair, if some scholie athletes get money, then all should get it. have to say that vt is handling it the right way upfront, they all get the same. lawyers will force this to happen at some point, get in front of it, be proactive, be fair.

spinner I disagree. We currently have different level of scholies and funding for different sports, so extra money should not be an issue

i don't want to pay them, any of them but if you are going to pay some, should pay them all. really don't care about the budget for each team, they all receive a scholie worth the same amount of money and let's be real, they will be forced to do it that way by someone who practices law sometime in the near future. why unions are salivating at this inequity and non-action on a number of issues regarding student/athletes.

Come on webs... 'let's be fair' Then lets base the stipend on how much money the sports bring in via donations, ticket sales, etc. Starting this stupidity is bad enough, using the word 'fair' just shows it will never end. We'll have to do what it takes to be competitive in each sport, ultimately the larger schools will bankrupt schools like ours.

I-M, UR loses money on all their sports, ALL. so by your standards, should not pay them a cent. so, if you are going to pay some, pay them all. am not a "fairness" , politically correct, type of guy but just feel like either pay none of them or all of them.

You are correct on ticket sales. Donations on the other hand do contribute to the sport they support, ie. Football endowment. Not to mention how many spider club members would there be if we didn't have football or basketball? In fact we have a lot of the women's sports just to meet title 9 requirements. The school may decide it can afford to give a living stipend to all athletes but I don't want to see sports dropped or cut because of it. Or you could just write a nice big check and cover it all.

Minimum:250X$2,000=$500,000 per annum

Maximum:250x$4,000=$1,000,000 per annum

No sure other A-10 or CAA schools have that extra jack laying around.We can afford it.Not sure about others being able to afford.The other schools in those respective conferences would have to step it up otherwise we get competitive edge.Interesting dilemma.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT