ADVERTISEMENT

Crutcher stepping down by July 2022

SFspidur

Spider's Club
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
Just got an email from the prez saying he's asked the trustees to begin searching for his successor as he intends to step down by July 2022. The Crutchers plan to take a sabbatical year in Berlin once he steps down, and then he'll return to UR as a professor.

Dear Spider Community:

I am writing to share with you that I recently asked the Board of Trustees to prepare to launch the search for my successor, with the goal of the next President taking office no later than July 1, 2022.

Prior to the end of my initial five-year term, which concluded on June 30, 2020, I was honored to accept the Board’s invitation to continue to serve as Richmond’s President. I conveyed at the time that I felt an extension of no longer than two years would be desirable, helpful, and appropriate. Thus, I had anticipated announcing this spring my decision to step down at the end of the 2021–22 academic year. But as I considered the great disruption and challenges facing higher education due to the pandemic, and contemplated what would best ensure the success of a future presidential search and our institutional momentum, I decided that it was important for the University to have as much time as possible to effectively identify and recruit the next President. I have decided to inform you of my plans now so that the search process may begin soon.

Dr.Crutcher and his wife are extremely likable and unassuming.At 73 yo he’s not a young guy to be working the daily rigors of Prez.The pandemic is/was taxing for all especially with the responsibilities for 4200 students and workers.Draining.

Anyone who speaks German fluently as a 2nd language on top of being a Phi Beta Kappa can’t be all that bad.He’s played string instruments in a number of Symphonies here and overseas as well.

Crutcher did a lot to change the inclusion culture of UR and we’ve gained in our national exposure during his tenure.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see a woman take over the helm.

Reactions: Eight Legger
It also can't get the facts right... Virginia Union has had plenty of Black presidents, and last I checked, it was located a lot more in Richmond than we are.
Could just be poor wording..."a university" referring specifically to UR, not any university in Richmond.

Dear Faculty, Staff, Students, Parents, and Alumni:

Since President Crutcher’s announcement last month that he had asked the Board of Trustees to begin the search for his successor, the Board has begun putting in place the foundation for a search to begin this fall. We write today with an update.

THE SEARCH COMMITTEE

First, we are pleased to announce the composition of the Presidential Search Committee. The Committee will be charged with identifying candidates, reviewing qualifications, conducting interviews, and recommending finalists from which the Board of Trustees will select Dr. Crutcher’s successor as President of the University of Richmond.

The Board is deeply grateful to all who have agreed to serve for accepting this important responsibility. In establishing the Committee, we were greatly assisted by nominations of faculty provided by the University Faculty Senate and of staff provided by the University Staff Advisory Council, as well as by consultation with the leadership of the University of Richmond Alumni Association concerning alumni representation.

The Search Committee membership is as follows:

Katarina Acosta, ’22, ex officio
Ashburn, VA

R. Lewis Boggs, GB’78
University of Richmond Trustee
Chairman, Property Investment Advisors Inc.
Richmond, VA

Henry L. Chambers Jr.
Austin E. Owen Research Scholar
Professor of Law

John P. Hardt
Vice President and Director of Athletics

Kathy Hoke, Ph.D.
Professor of Mathematics
Chair, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science

James W. Monks, Ph.D.
Professor of Economics

Austin P. Neuhoff, R’91
President, Austin Neuhoff Homes
Dallas, TX

Karen Gregory O’Maley, B’81
Cincinnati, OH

Paul B. Queally
, R’86, P’14, P’16, P’20, Co-Chair
Rector
University of Richmond Board of Trustees
President, 5Q Capital, LLC
Palm Beach, FL

Susan G. Quisenberry, W’65, Co-Chair
Vice Rector
University of Richmond Board of Trustees
Retired IT Consultant-Principal
Quisenberry & Warren Ltd.
Richmond, VA

Patricia L. Rowland, W’77, GB’81
Principal, Pat Rowland Consulting, LLC
Glen Ellyn, IL

Kevin Spear, ’22, ex officio
Framingham, MA

Terry Heilman Sylvester, B’76, P’03, P’05, P’05, P’10
Alumni Representative
Director of Parent Philanthropy
Office of Advancement

Wendell L. Taylor, L’98
Managing Partner, Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP
Lorton, VA

Gil J. Villanueva
Associate Vice President and Dean of Admission
The Committee brings to its work extensive knowledge of and deep commitment to the University’s excellence, a remarkable diversity of experience and perspectives, and high aspirations for the outcome of the search and the University’s future. We very much look forward to working with the Committee to recruit an exceptional new President who will continue to build on the University’s strong foundation and great momentum.

The Board has selected the firm of Spencer Stuart to assist the Committee in the search process. The Spencer Stuart team is led by Michele Haertel, who oversees Spencer Stuart’s Education, Nonprofit & Government and Academia & Research practices, with her colleague David Wick. They bring a great breadth and depth of experience and knowledge to the task of recruiting a strong and diverse pool of candidates for consideration. The Search Committee will be staffed by Ann Lloyd Breeden, Ph.D., Vice President and Secretary, and Molly Field, Special Assistant for Board Operations.

TIMELINE AND COMMUNITY INPUT

The Search Committee will begin work immediately, and the first phase of work will focus on soliciting and considering perspectives from the University community to inform the search. There will be ample time and opportunities to ensure thoughtful and thorough input. Some of these opportunities may be in-person meetings (within the University’s physical distancing guidelines) or virtual meetings with specific constituent groups; others will be virtual town hall meetings for faculty, staff, and students. There will also be a means for all members of the University community to submit thoughts via the search webpage in conjunction with these meetings. The focus of conversations with members of the University community will be the priorities the next President will be asked to address and the most important qualities and skills for the next President to possess. We look forward to your input and appreciate your taking the time to provide your perspective amidst the many other challenges of the semester. After this process is complete, the position description will be developed and posted to the search website.

As you know, President Crutcher recommended that the search begin at this time due to the unknown ways in which the constraints of the pandemic might affect a search process, which will require meeting with candidates from around the country and indeed the world. It is, therefore, important to allow as much time as possible for a thoughtful and thorough search, and we will not, at this point, establish a specific timeline for the key milestones of the search process. The Board is committed to appointing a new President to begin his or her term no later than July 1, 2022.

The Committee’s work will necessarily remain confidential throughout the search process. This complete confidentiality is, as you know, essential in order to recruit the strongest candidates. To the degree possible and appropriate, however, we will provide general status updates to the University community as the search progresses.

NOMINATIONS AND CONTACTING THE SEARCH COMMITTEE

The Committee welcomes nominations of possible candidates or any other information you wish to provide for the Committee’s consideration. Please forward nominations or contact the Committee at RichmondPresident@spencerstuart.com.

The selection of the University’s President is arguably the Board’s most important responsibility. We are grateful to be aided in that work by the impressive and capable Search Committee. And we are confident that the opportunity to lead our University will attract superb candidates. With you, we look forward to recruiting an exceptional new leader for the University of Richmond.

In closing, we wish to reiterate the Board’s deep gratitude to all of the University’s faculty, staff, and students for your continued creativity, resilience, and determination in ensuring a successful fall semester amidst unprecedented challenges.

Sincerely,

Paul B. Queally
Rector
paul.queally@richmond.edu
Susan G. Quisenberry
Vice Rector
squisenberry@richmond.edu

Queally is running the university already, might as well just make him the president at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT