ADVERTISEMENT

Confederate Symbols Nailed By Judge Clark

the problem here is that the war between the states has movies, novels, history books, documentaries, museums, thus it is a common deal among many americans. you just cannot remove a part of that without saying the entire thing is off limits. it is a part of our history and for those of us growing up in the south, family members fought in, were killed in, wounded in, this conflict. know i don't hold any hatred or think of any confederate items in a way of hatred but in the fact that citizens, many prominent citizens, were a part of it, is in our history and we take pride in that. the only hatred is in the minds of those who do not wish to understand. you cannot cleanse history, you may try but really will not work.

I don't think it's particularly practical to try to "erase" all aspects of the Civil War and the Confederacy, but nor do I think we need to celebrate the Confederacy at every step, either. It's a very tricky thing. I'd say that if there were no monuments on Monument Avenue and someone proposed building a bunch of them tomorrow to honor Confederate generals, it probably would never happen (and with good reason). But at the same time, I don't think I'd endorse the idea of removing all of them tomorrow, either.

In general, though, one of the worst arguments for doing something or not doing something is "Well, it's always been this way."

way off base i, that is not the confederate SPIDEY, a completely different uni and why i used it.

actually think they wore gray, you may be so incensed that anything looks confederate to you and others. in addition i, we certainly can improve our country but dismantling its history is not improving, more like book burning.

Last edited:
the point is, it is part of our history and attempting to rid things that mean something to people just because some others don't like it, is wrong. not sure where you are going with revisionist and true history, maybe you mean your true history, not sure. you certainly have your own views but does not mean they are right or that everyone agrees with you but you want everything you don't like to go or to be censored or burned. what if i served in the military, what difference would that make? do you want to burn my uniforms, assuming i have some to burn? this is completely stupid and not sure why am even in this. you take your views and be happy with them, no prob from me.

Best commentary I've read on this topic lately was actually from WWTDD. When gossip columnists are more sensible than professors or judges, you know your society is in trouble:

The University of Maryland is changing the name of their Byrd Stadium to something politically correct and devoid of possible meaning or acrimony. Somebody dug up dirt on Harry Byrd who played football at Maryland and went on to become the school’s President and was an outspoken segregationist as recently as one hundred and ten years ago. There’s a movement on college campuses to do even less school work and circle back and remove the names of historical figures who were racists from any campus buildings. Which makes sense, if you like games with no possible endings. Also, if you want to remove the names Washington, Jefferson, and Lincoln from every institution, for starters.

One hundred years from now pot smoking coeds taking time out from their art history classes will demand names be removed of men and women who didn’t sort their recycling or voted in favor of boots on the ground in Syria or rooted for the Yankees. Fair enough on some of that. Everybody looks morally out of touch when you snatch them out of history and place them in modern times. Everybody before 1500 thought the world was flat. They couldn’t be real scientists. A century from now every doctor will look like an ignorant barbarian. When the Latino population hits 51%, they’ll take down the names of the blacks. This could go on forever. We need to quit engravings and move to erasable marker.

Since you’re spending four years lounging on a college campus, how about education over demolition. Think about how you might separate yourself from ISIS in terms of your handling of dated cultures and mores you hold contemptible. Stop blowing shit up you find offensive. Maybe write a ****ing paper on Harry Byrd and why he was horrible even for his time. If he was. I don’t know. You’re burning all his furniture instead of explaining anything. Is it ironic that the Maryland football team is mostly black and they’re playing in a stadium named after a racist? No, it’s ironic that you’re not paying them to play. That’s slavery. Now, shut the **** up.

http://www.wwtdd.com/2015/12/stadium-proves-to-be-racist/

which does not mean they are wrong but their thoughts certainly not politically correct which makes them fairly intelligent.

HA, nice try i-man, that is what political correctness is, you disagree with me so i paint you into a corner, the complete antithesis of acceptance, broad-mindedness, tolerance. you just keep living in your dream world thinking everyone is like you because of pc guidelines, rules.

NO i-man, you cannot handle the truth nor any humor and laughter these guys threw on this trash dump you love

certainly feel comfortable not allowing others to determine what i say and feel for those who do, what our country is about. for those of you who do, if you feel OK with it, then that is what our country is about as well.

Independence from the U.S. Government is a more accurate description of the purpose of the Confederacy. Seven states succeeded from the United States. In turn the United States considered the succession illegal. Four more states then declared their succession.

there are those who hate our current american flag, do we start taking that down so they are not offended? this entire agenda is a slippery slope.

Today is one of 12 official Commonwealth of Virginia holidays. Here is wishing a happy Lee-Jackson Day to you iSpider as we celebrate two of the best military minds in our history. :)

Independence from the U.S. Government is a more accurate description of the purpose of the Confederacy. Seven states succeeded from the United States. In turn the United States considered the succession illegal. Four more states then declared their succession.
Just to get it straight for the future: "secede" and "secession". OSC

Totally correct Ulla - Dr. Guthrie would have given me an "F" in freshman English for that egregious spelling. Mea culpa.

Reactions: Ulla1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT